Exporting or Printing Outliner Info

Ca
Catsmad
Platform: Windows

Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:34 pm Post

Hi All,
Brilliant program. I am totally smitten and will definitely be buying as soon as it hits the online streets in the UK. One small problem though. I would like to be able to print my outline view only to be able to take this text with me to work where I can browse on it during downtimes or just get it away from the computer screen for a while. Is there any way to do this without printing out all the Chapters too. I would like the outline view only. Have even tried selecting everything in Outliner view and hitting control C and then Control V to try and get it into MS Word for printing but I can't even do that. Is there something I've missed. I'm guessing there is??
Thankyou

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:37 pm Post

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Thanks for your kind words about Scrivener!

Currently there aren't a ton of options for printing an outline view, although this and index card printing will be coming down the road. For now the two main ways to get this are either by setting up compile to include just titles and synopses (excluding the document text) and basically creating a print outline that way, or--if you want the outline to appear the way it does when viewing it in Scrivener--to take a screen capture of the outliner and then save that as a PDF or other format, print it, etc. Obviously that won't be editable the way that the compiled document could be, but depending on your needs it might work fine; I know a number of people have done that in the Mac version as well.

If you want to set up compile for this, I suggest starting with the "Enumerated Outline" preset (select it from the "Format As" drop-down menu) and then modifying it to your needs. It's a bit of a misnomer at the moment as it's not actually numbered (I'll be working on fixing that), but you can add numbering or adjust indents by clicking the triangle button to expand the compile options and selecting "Formatting" from the sidebar on the left. You'll see a table with the different document types (folder, document stack, and single document) and levels (ie, where they nest in the binder hierarchy). By selecting a row in the table, you can then adjust the formatting by clicking the "Modify" button and setting various options in the panel that opens, and if you choose "Title Settings..." from there you can add a prefix to add automatic numbering to the title of each binder document of that type and level when it compiles. <$n> will give you "1, 2, 3..."; <$w> will give "one, two, three..." and so on. If you check out Edit>Insert>Auto-Number in the editor before going into compile, you can see the different options. Select one and the variable will be placed in your document, and you can then cut that from the document and paste it into the prefix settings in compile.

If you decide you want to go with the compile method and need some other help formatting it the way you want, let me know and we can go through it; I think it'll be easier to let you see what you get out of it with just the default settings for the Outline and then go from there rather than me just throwing out random options and making it sound too overwhelming!
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Ca
Catsmad
Platform: Windows

Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:13 pm Post

Thankyou very much for the superfast response. Will be trying the compile method now. I really don't need to be able to edit it. I just want a hard copy of Overview basically to write notes all over it by hand when I am not at the PC. Then on days off, insert all my changes back into the main text manually. It's probably not the most productive way of working but it's how I've always done things, even in word. Will keep you posted and thanks again. I think Scrivener strikes exactly the right balance between the giants like MS Word and the tiny notepad type word processors. It's the lack of bloat I, and I suspect many others, find so appealing.