Question regarding importing

El
Elminster
Platform: Win + iOS

Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:23 am Post

Apologies if this issue has already been addressed somewhere else - I could not find it via the search function. I am working with the 0.23 beta and Windows XP.

I would like to import a file which I converted to .rtf from Word 2007; the file contains footnotes, comments, highlighted sections and, most importantly, special characters (Greek in a Unicode font). Now when I import the file, the footnotes and comments are converted, which is fine, but
1. everything is converted into the font "MS Shell Dlg 2" although I have changed the default formatting to a different font,
2. all highlighted sections are no longer highlighted,
3. the special characters, though Unicode, are turned into utter nonsense, and I cannot convert them back even by changing the font.

How "normal" is any of this?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Edit: I guess I can "Convert Formatting to Default Text Style" to address issue 1. But why can't font formatting be imported?

2nd edit: I lose the special characters (regardless of the font) even when copying them directly from Word via copy and paste. If I paste them first into Notepad and copy them from there, Scrivener recognises them correctly.

3rd edit: Copying from Notepad does not work as a solution, however, as I would lose footnotes, comments and highlights.

El
Elminster

Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:49 am Post

Err... does this mean all of this is 'normal'?

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:29 pm Post

Hi Elminster,

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to check on all of this yet. I know some special character importing has already been noted as an issue. In the meanwhile, try saving your document as plain text with UTF-8 encoding and importing that; it should work to get your special characters over.

Regarding the font, it should on import preserve the font of the original document, not convert it to your Scrivener default (which could alter other formatting that you hadn't wanted to change)--you can use the Convert to Default Formatting command to apply the change, as you noted. Obviously however this isn't working quite right for you, since it's changing to the MS Shell Dlg 2, which I'd noticed previously on documents I imported from my Mac that used a font not on my Windows machine, but I see this happening now with one brought over in Times New Roman, which is installed. So no, that's not "normal". :) Thanks for the report!
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

El
Elminster

Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:21 pm Post

And thank you for your reply!

Saving and importing UTF-8 plain text does work to transfer the special characters (even preserving at least the text of comments and footnotes, even noting their location, but not really linking them, which is therefore just not practical enough in my case because there are too many), but the font is still the strange MS Shell Dlg 2 - and while the "Convert..." command is indeed helpful here, the problem is that I still have to mark and change the font of all Greek words manually as I am using a different (thankfully Unicode-based) font for those, so it would be helpful if the font(s) of the original document could be preserved...
It would be even better if the special characters would be preserved as well, because then I wouldn't have to save and import UTF-8 plain text, which would then mean that footnotes and comments are preserved as well. Do you think this will be fixed in the final release?

Many thanks!

Ba
BatmanJD
Platform: Windows

Sat May 14, 2011 2:23 pm Post

Hi, I've exactly the same problem, with Greek fonts and footnotes in a long Word doc. I'm struggling to work with it in Word, and Scrivener seems really great for what I need, with lots of research (thoughts and notes) from which to compile a finished paper.

However, if I convert to plain text I preserve fonts but lose many, many footnotes.

As a workaround, do you know if there is there a way to import in text format in such a way that footnotes will be automatically recognised on import (e.g. xml markup)? If so, I could work on getting footnotes exported from Word 2010 with the appropriate markup in the correct place within the text.

I'd love to get going with my project in Scrivener, but without being able to import both Greek fonts as well as footnotes, I'm pretty much stuck.

Ba
BatmanJD

Sat May 14, 2011 3:09 pm Post

Hi, I've found a solution that works for me. I saved the docx file as a doc file in Word 2010, and then opened it in OpenOffice Writer. I selected all text, copied it, and pasted it into Schrivener. All worked fine, with footnotes as expected, and Greek fonts looking good.

The problem went away with a test paste from Word to Notepad and then pasting again into Scrivener, so I thought that the problem might be isolated to pasting from Word alone.

I'm happy, and can now start work on the paper in Scrivener. Great!

MimeticMouton

Sat May 14, 2011 4:34 pm Post

Hi,

Thanks for the update; I'm glad you found a solution! I'll be sure to add this to the bug report on the issue. Obviously ultimately it should be possible for you to just go directly from Word, but until that's achieved it's good to know you have viable workaround.

Thanks for giving Scrivener a try, and welcome to the forums!
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

El
Elminster

Sat May 14, 2011 4:53 pm Post

Thank you, BatmanJD, I will try that as well!

El
Elminster

Sat May 14, 2011 5:41 pm Post

I tried the same method, and while it *does* work for fonts/special characters and footnotes, unfortunately it doesn't for comments/annotations and the marking of text marked in colour (comments are lost, as is the marking).

Ba
BatmanJD

Sun May 15, 2011 1:00 pm Post

That's a shame it loses comments etc. But it is a step forward. Just thinking out loud, would converting it to pdf help before importing?

El
Elminster

Tue May 17, 2011 10:17 am Post

No, it doesn't, but thanks for the suggestion!

Madame Mouton, is this on the bug list?

MimeticMouton

Tue May 17, 2011 2:56 pm Post

Indeed it is.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

El
Elminster

Tue May 17, 2011 4:35 pm Post

Merci beaucoup.