Add Comment

cl
clexidra
Platform: Windows

Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:58 pm Post

Hello,

how to add a comment in the window version ?

thanks.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:04 pm Post

Hi clexidra,

Windows Scrivener uses inline annotations, which can be toggled on and off just like other formatting styles (bold, italic, etc.) using the Ctrl-Shift-A shortcut or via the menu option in Format>Annotation. If you like, you can also use Edit>Customize Toolbars to add an "annotation" button to the Format Toolbar.

To add the comment, just turn on the annotation style and type, then toggle it off when you've finished. You can also select text already written and turn it into a comment by selecting "Annotation" or select text in an annotation and hit Ctrl-Shift-A to make it regular text.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Re
Rebeca

Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:50 pm Post

Thanks for this MM. For some reason I wasn't make the connection between annotations and comments. I was thinking more of an annotated footnote. Just used it for a section in my MS and it's great.

cl
clexidra

Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:28 pm Post

Thank for your reply.

But is not possible to have "comments" as the ones we find in microsoft Word ?

Comments are on the right side of the page and we can show/hide them ?

thanks.

Re
Rebeca

Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:40 pm Post

You have to remember that Scrivener is not a replica of MS Word, and although Scrivener may share some similar features with Word, they will function differently. In this case, the annotations (or comments) fade in body of the editor. If you click on the faded annotation it will darken so you can see it.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:52 pm Post

At the moment, Windows Scrivener only supports inline footnotes and annotations as I described. When you export to RTF to bring your manuscript into Word, if you choose to include the annotations they will be exported as comments and so display in Word as the margin notes you're used to. Likewise, inline footnotes will become traditional footnotes or endnotes (depending on your choice). Margin comments in this style were added to the Mac version 2, so they will be coming to the Windows version eventually--Lee in fact tried to get them in for the initial release, but they're a coding challenge and he had to push it back in order to focus on fixing bugs and other crucial items.

Meanwhile, do try the inline notes. They may feel unusual at first, but a lot of people find that they actually offer an easier way to work than the margin notes. With the keyboard shortcuts, it's a smooth transition from writing to making a note and back to writing, and with the Ghost Notes mode turned on (View/Ghost Notes Mode) you can have the notes fade into the background when the cursor isn't inside the note. (You can set the colors in the Appearance tab of Edit/Options.) The inline notes are also particularly useful when revising, as you can "delete" a section of text and try out other wording while keeping the original text visible on the page for comparison--but easily able to strip it out when you compile.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

cl
clexidra

Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:32 pm Post

Thank you MimeticMouton,

I see the comments in the Mac version 2 and I like it very much. In the meantime I use inline annotations but I'd like to see the same comments I see in the Mac version.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:00 pm Post

If you like a feature in Mac version 2, you can in nearly all cases be rest assured it will be available for Windows in time. The existing Mac version is the exemplar that Windows is working toward. There will probably be a few things here and there that cannot be directly recoded without a lot of work. For example the grammar checker which is just something that comes for "free" on a Mac and is available in nearly every text box you can type in. Grammar checking is massively complicated to code, so unless a library or external tool can be integrated with Scrivener on Windows, that's probably not something that will feasibly arrive. Stuff like linked notes as well as inline notes (you can use both for different effect, on the Mac) though, definitely. In fact they pushed hard to get that feature in for 1.0, but couldn't quite make it, so from what I understand it's already partially there, and bodes well for the amount of time you'll have to wait for it to appear.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles