English Dictionary on German platform

wi
wildwinterwitch
Platform: Windows

Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:46 pm Post

I have Windows 7 installed on my machine, along with Scrivener Beta 1.4. It's a German computer, but I write in English. So far, the spell checker hasn't worked. I have tried Edit -> Options and switched the relevant options on and off, but no matter how many spelling mistakes I make, they're not pointed out to me in any way. The only thing that works is the capitalization feature at the beginning of sentences and the automatic capitalization of "I".

Currently, I have to export the chapters to OpenOffice and have the spelling checked there.

mightygitis

Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:39 am Post

There is some info about the issue on THIS THREAD But the important bit is the following.
Mirius wrote:It doesn't matter what language you are typing in, the problem occurs on install because of the auto language selection in the install program. If you have a non English OS then Scrivener will not install a dictionary and without a dictionary there is no spell checking regardless of what you might type.

As I've stated before everything about my laptop is English except the very base levels of the OS. I even have a QWERTY keyboard and everything from a user point of view is in English. A very few programs will detect however that the base OS is Flemish, Scrivener being one of them.

On loading the first project on 1.4 I got the error message again about not loading a dictionary. I don't know which dictionary it tried to load as the text doesn't wrap so I can read the end of the error message.
I am running Scrivener Beta 1.4 onWindows XP Home Edition w/ Service Pack 3 installed on a Acer Aspire One netbook computer. I am also running it on Windows Vista Home Basic on a Dell Inspiron E1405 laptop.

Check the Bug List before you post!

wi
wildwinterwitch

Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:54 am Post

Do you have any idea if this will be fixed in the final version? I like Scrivener because it brings together the functions of several programs and I don't want to have to revert to another software because of the spell checker...

mightygitis

Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:45 am Post

There will be multiple languages available in the final version, as there are multiple languages available in the Mac edition. :mrgreen:
I am running Scrivener Beta 1.4 onWindows XP Home Edition w/ Service Pack 3 installed on a Acer Aspire One netbook computer. I am also running it on Windows Vista Home Basic on a Dell Inspiron E1405 laptop.

Check the Bug List before you post!

wi
wildwinterwitch

Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:18 pm Post

Thank you! :D