Cannot open Mac scrivener file in Windows

Li
Little Angel
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:43 pm Post

I have recently purchased the Mac and Win bundle as my laptop is Mac and my desktop is Win. I'm storing my files in dropbox/apps/scrivener...

However the most recent versions of both applications don't seem to be able to play well together.

Currently my Mac files won't open in Win.

Any hints on how I should keep these in sync?

kewms
Platform: Mac

Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:58 pm Post

The most recent Mac Scrivener version, 3.0, uses a different project format from the current Windows release.

You can export a Scrivener 3 project in the older format using the File -> Export -> As Scrivener 2 project.

Or you can install Scrivener 2.9 for Mac, which uses the older project format. You can download it here:
http://www.literatureandlatte.com/legacy-download

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Li
Little Angel

Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:46 am Post

What functionality do I lose by downgrading my Mac App?

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:14 pm Post

Little Angel wrote:What functionality do I lose by downgrading my Mac App?

All of the *new* Scrivener 3 features and interface appearance, as described in the various L&L blog posts prior to S3 release.

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/blog

az
azizrahman

Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:28 pm Post

That's a little shoddy to be honest. Look, I get Windows and macOS are two different platforms, but they should still be updated at the same time so we don't have to use workarounds to open files written on one platform from another.

devinganger

Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:01 am Post

azizrahman wrote:That's a little shoddy to be honest. Look, I get Windows and macOS are two different platforms, but they should still be updated at the same time so we don't have to use workarounds to open files written on one platform from another.

You are free at any time to write a non-trivial application, make it cross-platform, and synchronize all the releases so that all features are present on all platforms at the same time.

If you have not attempted to do so, perhaps you should be thankful for the work put in by those who are attempting to do so instead of calling them shoddy.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

bi
bigv

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:47 am Post

Scrivener is a great product.

Devin, I am a software developer and manager for 25 years including years of building products and Microsoft and other great companies such as Adobe. I agree with you completely the word shoddy is not nice, but you should never say anything negative or sound negative regarding your customers. Negativity makes your company and your product look bad regardless of what the customer is saying. He is just voicing his frustration which is very valid. I just ran into the same problem and felt the same way.

I also know the solution which to slow down a bit in feature launches so you can deliver both at the same time. I realize this is very complex and hard to do, but many companies do it, even small ones. At the minimum, you should say very sorry for your inconveniences, and we fully understand and will try to remedy the situation as soon as we can. Anyway, keep up the great work. Software development is very hard, and you guys have built a better product than I ever have.

rdale

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:52 pm Post

Lest Lit & Lat be dinged for the comments or tone of other users, I should point out that Devin is not an employee of the company, he's just another customer like you or me.

Also, they DID delay the Mac os release, as I see it. The private Mac v3 beta didn't get released to sell until the Windows v3 beta was rolled out to the public, so that those who were really insistent on running v3 on Mac and Windows had a path to do so. Plus, you can always pretend that they didn't release v3 for Mac and just use the last update of version 2 with the same license code. It's literally the exact same end-result for Mac/Win Scrivener users that you're proposing.

Since you have the exact same option now that you would if the Mac v3 release hadn't happened yet, what's the argument is that Mac-only (or Mac/iOS only) user should have to wait on the pace of the Windows team's release schedule?
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

devinganger

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:19 pm Post

rdale wrote:Lest Lit & Lat be dinged for the comments or tone of other users, I should point out that Devin is not an employee of the company, he's just another customer like you or me.

As is clearly stated in my signature.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:44 pm Post

bigv wrote:Devin, I am a software developer and manager for 25 years including years of building products and Microsoft and other great companies such as Adobe.

That’s no excuse for jumping to conclusions and not reading peoples signatures. You should know better. This is a USER forum. :evil:
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

kewms

Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:30 am Post

Would anyone arguing that we should have held the Mac release to wait for the Windows version care to comment on the *decades long* pattern of poor compatibility between the Mac and Windows versions of Microsoft Office? Or the egregious neglect by Apple of the Windows versions of products like iTunes and iCloud?

This ideal world that you are describing in which identical versions roll out across all platforms simultaneously simply doesn't exist.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

bi
bigv

Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:07 am Post

Very sorry for jumping to conclusions. My opinion was only based on the fact I felt opinion of LL should have been a little more sympathetic. Now I see that is not LL's response, I think it is great for a customer (Devin) to stand up for LL because you guys are doing great work. I am happy that Mac version is on V3 as it is great. It would be nice that PC was at the same time but not that big of a deal since I am primarily a Mac user, probably most Mac users prefer to be Mac users. Sorry again.

bi
bigv

Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:09 am Post

kewms wrote:Would anyone arguing that we should have held the Mac release to wait for the Windows version care to comment on the *decades long* pattern of poor compatibility between the Mac and Windows versions of Microsoft Office? Or the egregious neglect by Apple of the Windows versions of products like iTunes and iCloud?

This ideal world that you are describing in which identical versions roll out across all platforms simultaneously simply doesn't exist.

Katherine

It does not need to be identical at the same time it only needs to be compatible at the same time and I can guarantee you thousands of small companies do this every release.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:40 am Post

bigv wrote:It does not need to be identical at the same time it only needs to be compatible at the same time and I can guarantee you thousands of small companies do this every release.

You’re missing the point, again!
Version 3 for Mac IS compatible and can read the older format, and can even export in the old format. How do you expect the Windows version 1 to be forward compatible and suddenly be able to read a format that didn’t exist when it was released?

Seriously, can you really list thousands of companies that make forward compatible software, that is able to handle whatever changes may appear in the future? Not even Microsoft can handle that. My old Word version that read and write .doc files can’t handle .docx files.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

bi
bigv

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:35 pm Post

lunk wrote:
bigv wrote:It does not need to be identical at the same time it only needs to be compatible at the same time and I can guarantee you thousands of small companies do this every release.

You’re missing the point, again!
Version 3 for Mac IS compatible and can read the older format, and can even export in the old format. How do you expect the Windows version 1 to be forward compatible and suddenly be able to read a format that didn’t exist when it was released?

Seriously, can you really list thousands of companies that make forward compatible software, that is able to handle whatever changes may appear in the future? Not even Microsoft can handle that. My old Word version that read and write .doc files can’t handle .docx files.

Trust me Lunk, I understand. You are referring to two versions on the same operating system. I agree with you that is not feasible. Most companies do make sure the latest version on 2 different platforms is compatible that have products that support back and collaboration or people working on the same files on multiple computers and Dropbox. Imagine if you were using Evernote and they said you can't sync your files between your PC and your Mac you must export and import it? That's a more extreme case. Any company that supports iCloud sync between Mac and IOS deals with this problem all the time, easily thousands.

As they pointed out, they had to make a choice go faster with the Mac version or keep compatibility. They chose option #1 and that might very well be the better choice. I like V3 a lot so it's a reasonable choice from my perspective but for others, it might have not been so good.