Insert footnotes with shortcut can only go up to 15 footnotes

nontroppo
Platform: Mac

Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:08 am Post

You are using the standard macOS Pinyin input method? I suspect this has to be some bug related to Chinese text. Please can you make a test project of a single document where this bug has triggered for you. Lets see if we can also see this with a Chinese text, and a test project makes it easier for Keith when he returns from Holiday to try to debug what is going on...

nontroppo

Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:18 am Post

Hm,I still can't trigger this (Pinyin Simplified input method and 17 footnotes):
Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 15.15.46_SMALL.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 15.15.46_SMALL.png (31.17 KiB) Viewed 1428 times

Please try this project and see if it works on your system?
chinese.scriv.zip
(53.54 KiB) Downloaded 39 times

ji
jinxray

Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:38 am Post

nontroppo wrote:Hm,I still can't trigger this (Pinyin Simplified input method and 17 footnotes):
Screen Shot 2017-12-25 at 15.15.46_SMALL.png

Please try this project and see if it works on your system?
chinese.scriv.zip

Thank you for your help, really appreciate it.

Have you tried adding one to the end of a line that already had a footnote? Here's my screen record: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p9mungd2olnwo ... 2.mov?dl=0

FYI, I was using a U.S. english keyboard in the video, also tried other IMEs, my guess at the moment is it's irrelevant.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:08 am Post

You should be able to select only the parts of text relevant to the footnote and then add the footnote, rather than relying upon the engine to guess.

This report was noted, but we haven't been able to reproduce it either. I've created a project with the asterisk setting on and added around 25 notes to one section without any issues, and some 50 overall to other test documents within the project. We can't fix something if we can't see it happen.

I didn't however try in Chinese, so maybe try seeing if it reproduces in another language?
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

xiamenese

Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:56 am Post

jinxray wrote: <clip>
Yes, I can always give up the asterisk marker, but there's a catch when you are writing in Chinese, which doesn't have spaces between words, the footnote will turn the whole sentence into a link. I know it makes no difference for the final compilation, but it's sure messes things up during the process , especially when you are woking on the scale of an academic book.

And that's probably the missing key to your problem. Everyone else has been doing their testing using English,

I'll have a go after we've got over Christmas itself—today is not the day to spend time on it!—to see if I can reproduce the problem, If I can it'll be over to Keith.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.13.3, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

ji
jinxray

Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:32 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:
jinxray wrote: <clip>
Yes, I can always give up the asterisk marker, but there's a catch when you are writing in Chinese, which doesn't have spaces between words, the footnote will turn the whole sentence into a link. I know it makes no difference for the final compilation, but it's sure messes things up during the process , especially when you are woking on the scale of an academic book.

And that's probably the missing key to your problem. Everyone else has been doing their testing using English,

I'll have a go after we've got over Christmas itself—today is not the day to spend time on it!—to see if I can reproduce the problem, If I can it'll be over to Keith.

Mark

I just uploaded a new video with English-only text: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kio9pugerfygg ... 3.mov?dl=0

As per Amber's suggestion, to be honest, it'd be quite a hustle, and exhausting, for me to manually select portion of text every time.

Bridey

Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:42 pm Post

You can get round this by copying a footnote marker, pasting it, and then editing the footnote itself. You can have 100 or more on a single line, if you want, even in Chinese.

Chinese Footnotes.jpg
Chinese Footnotes.jpg (87.82 KiB) Viewed 1398 times

xiamenese

Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:00 pm Post

Bridey wrote:You can get round this by copying a footnote marker, pasting it, and then editing the footnote itself. You can have 100 or more on a single line, if you want, even in Chinese.

Chinese Footnotes.jpg

That may be true and give the OP an apparent work-around, However, it would be good to try and find out the root of the problem using the footnote marker normally by Ctrl-Cmd-8.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.13.3, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

nontroppo

Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:34 am Post

I had a look through the video, and it seems for example at ~37secs there are 9 footnotes and you try to add a footnote to an existing sentence fragment and it selects the existing footnote instead. ~16 secs and ~49 secs are other examples.

But I've tried every position multiple times at the start, end, middle, with spaces before / spaces after, middle of a word and I still can't reproduce this...
Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 09.32.28_SMALL.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 09.32.28_SMALL.png (20.59 KiB) Viewed 1379 times

Please share a project where you can trigger this, perhaps another setting or a font or something is interacting to cause this?

ji
jinxray

Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:43 am Post

nontroppo wrote:I had a look through the video, and it seems for example at ~37secs there are 9 footnotes and you try to add a footnote to an existing sentence fragment and it selects the existing footnote instead. ~16 secs and ~49 secs are other examples.

But I've tried every position multiple times at the start, end, middle, with spaces before / spaces after, middle of a word and I still can't reproduce this...
Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 09.32.28_SMALL.png

Please share a project where you can trigger this, perhaps another setting or a font or something is interacting to cause this?

In my second video, I actually used the project you shared, the one with Du Fu's poem.
Here's the project file for the third video.
Attachments
fn bug 3.scriv.zip
(43.15 KiB) Downloaded 33 times

nontroppo

Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:55 am Post

I can add footnotes without problems in "fn bug 3.scriv", so it can't be a project setting. Try to use "Helvetica" font in your project and see if it helps (your video shows Merriweather). Then try to reset your Scrivener preferences to the default (save them first then reset), and restart Scrivener and try. Failing that, create a new system user, log out of your user account and log into that new account and try there. That should test if it is dependent on a preference or system configuration somewhere else...

ji
jinxray

Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:14 am Post

nontroppo wrote:I can add footnotes without problems in "fn bug 3.scriv", so it can't be a project setting. Try to use "Helvetica" font in your project and see if it helps (your video shows Merriweather). Then try to reset your Scrivener preferences to the default (save them first then reset), and restart Scrivener and try. Failing that, create a new system user, log out of your user account and log into that new account and try there. That should test if it is dependent on a preference or system configuration somewhere else...

In a default setting with English-only text and English-US IME, the only way I can reproduce the problem is to add a footnote, then add another one right behind it with no space between them. Here's the screen record under the default setting: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sibk7p2trgur2 ... 4.mov?dl=0

Note that, in this case, a space between two asterisks seems to be the factor that makes a difference.

Will try the new account approach later.
Attachments
Untitled.scriv.zip
(49.91 KiB) Downloaded 37 times

nontroppo

Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:36 am Post

Tried to reproduce the failed FN at 13secs in your latest video, and it still works for me:

Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 13.33.57.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 13.33.57.png (5.25 KiB) Viewed 1349 times

But we are getting closer to the find the problem, footnotes with an intervening space between them + mystery–factor–X :lol:

Bridey

Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:27 am Post

nontroppo wrote:Tried to reproduce the failed FN at 13secs in your latest video, and it still works for me:

Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 13.33.57.png

But we are getting closer to the find the problem, footnotes with an intervening space between them + mystery–factor–X :lol:

So you can add a footnote after "who". Like jinxray, I can't (neither in the sample project nor any other project on my Mac using a similar pattern of footnotes).

Have been switching settings on and off, but can't find a culprit so far.

Bridey

Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:09 am Post

I noticed I couldn’t insert footnotes inside words, so the spaces made no difference.

For me, this was fixed by going to Apple > System Preferences > Trackpad and deselecting Tap to click. Footnotes then work perfectly. Strangely, even after reselcting Tap to click, they still work as they should.

But if anyone else is using a trackpad, the solution above might work.

Tap To Click.jpg
Tap To Click.jpg (233.76 KiB) Viewed 1329 times