Crash at startup in 10.11 beta 3

JS
JS2
Platform: Mac

Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:05 pm Post

If it helps, Scrivener does open and works in Safe Mode. Once returned to the normal mode it stops working again (if it wasn't working before). Checking or unchecking the contacts in preferences doesn't help (after opened in Safe Mode that option becomes available in the normal mode).

I don't know if that means anything, but maybe that will help.

KB
Site Admin

Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:21 pm Post

Have you reported this to Apple? Can you please post your crash report here? That will tell me whether it is still the Contacts crash or something else.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

JS
JS2

Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:24 am Post

I have reported it to Apple with the automated log from the error message when opening Scrivener as well as through their feedback app with a copy of the .crash log.

I hope you don't mind but I PM'd you the cut and past of the log. I assume it is just information about the app itself but because I don't understand the information in it, I felt more comfortable sending it directly.

Edit:
You might have 2 duplicate PMs from me or you might have zero PMs from me. It keeps showing up in my Outbox but not under the Sent Messages. Computers are not being very kind to me lately. Sorry! :oops:

go
gogetit

Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:08 am Post

I also have same issue (Scrivener crashes every time on El Captitan where Scrivener had not been installed/executed before), and I reported the log to both Apple and Literature and Latte.

KB
Site Admin

Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:48 am Post

JS2 wrote:I hope you don't mind but I PM'd you the cut and past of the log. I assume it is just information about the app itself but because I don't understand the information in it, I felt more comfortable sending it directly.

Many thanks! Okay, so I've found the source of the crash thanks to these logs. The reason I wasn't seeing the crash is that it only happens if you haven't previously (successfully) launched Scrivener on earlier versions of El Capitan. Because I had run Scrivener before, I wasn't seeing the problem.

When Scrivener is launched for the first time, it writers a "Scrivener.clr" file to the ~/Library/Colors folder. A .clr file is a colour list file, and the ~/Library/Colors folder is a location on the system intended for storing such files. Scrivener has its own colour list in the colour panel for its highlight colours, and by storing a file for this instead of just storing it in memory, it allows users to edit these colours. This is the source of the problem. It seems that in the latest version of El Capitan, Apple's "write colour list to file" method crashes 32-bit apps (the method is only called if the colour file doesn't already exist, which is why I wasn't seeing the problem - I removed the file for testing and got the crash).

I have reported the issue to Apple. I'm not confident they'll fix this, because it seems to me exactly the sort of thing they won't care about, given that it's a minor feature and only affects 32-bit apps. So, I'll keep an eye on it - if it gets fixed, great; if not, I'll just remove the ability for users to edit the custom colour list temporarily, until our 64-bit version is ready.

In the meantime, users affected by this bug should be able to fix it for themselves. Simply download the Scrivener_clr.zip file that I've attached to this post, unzip it, and then move the extracted Scrivener.clr file into the ~/Library/Colors folder on El Capitan (hold down Option while the "Go" menu is open in the Finder to access the ~/Library folder). After that, Scrivener should open successfully.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith
Attachments
Scrivener_clr.zip
(371 Bytes) Downloaded 88 times
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

JS
JS2

Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:28 pm Post

That explains why some people were having this issue and some were not. Since it is such a minor issue for Apple, I am glad it was found so that everyone can use Scrivener again. That very easy do-it-yourself solution worked great and took mere seconds to get everything up and running. Thanks!

am
amors

Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:33 am Post

KB wrote:In the meantime, users affected by this bug should be able to fix it for themselves. Simply download the Scrivener_clr.zip file that I've attached to this post, unzip it, and then move the extracted Scrivener.clr file into the ~/Library/Colors folder on El Capitan (hold down Option while the "Go" menu is open in the Finder to access the ~/Library folder). After that, Scrivener should open successfully.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Yes, it's finally works!
Thanks!!!

yl
ylaway

Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:37 am Post

First time using Scrivener today, thank you for the detailed fix.
Looking forward to putting the software through its paces.

ji
jintao

Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:06 am Post

Apple released OS 10.11 beta 4 yesterday, Scrivener is Okay now.

KB
Site Admin

Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:01 pm Post

jintao wrote:Apple released OS 10.11 beta 4 yesterday, Scrivener is Okay now.

Good to know, thanks. I bet the headers and footers are still upside down when printing or generating PDFs, though - I haven't seen anything about them fixing that, yet.

nontroppo

Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:51 pm Post

˙˙˙ʇǝʎ pǝxᴉɟ uǝǝq ʇ,uǝsɐɥ ʇᴉ 'ʇɔǝɹɹoƆ

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:13 pm Post

I installed DP6 last night, and I do not get mirrored text in headers and footers when printing to PDF from Scrivener or TextEdit. So hopefully that one will just become an amusing memory.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

KB
Site Admin

Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:37 pm Post

AmberV wrote:I installed DP6 last night, and I do not get mirrored text in headers and footers when printing to PDF from Scrivener or TextEdit. So hopefully that one will just become an amusing memory.

Are you sure? The bug persists for me. The main text area and the print preview in TextEdit are now fine, but headers and footers in Scrivener are still upside-down when I generate a PDF from it. I'll keep an eye on it, but I may need to use an alternative way of drawing the headers and footers if they don't fix it (you know, like not using the standard override point any more...).

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:54 pm Post

In DP6 I'm still getting the mirrored text in headers/footers when compiling to Print and saving to PDF from there (though it appears correctly in the print preview)--haven't tried a physical printer yet--and when I compile direct to PDF with the "Publishing" option. "Proofing" comes out all right, so that's perhaps a workaround for anyone needing proper headers and footers now.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:28 am Post

You know what, false alert, I have some more updates to apply in order to break it. :)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles