Managing Story Arcs in Aeon

ik
ike

Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:52 pm Post

Hi Matt,

I need to jump back into Aeon (0.4.5) to resolve a problem with conflicting narrative/timelines.

The latest User Manual I could find was Feb 3, 2009. There is no mention in it of how to manage Story Arcs (e.g how can I pull a major character's story arc higher up the screen and demote others). Is there a later manual or forum with this information and other tips about using arcs?

Thanks,

Ike

ma
matt

Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:05 am Post

Hi Ike,
There is no explicit way to re-order Story Arcs at the moment, however, there is a roundabout way to do it.

In Story Arc View, there is a button on the right of the 'header bar' that allows you to Show or Hide different Story Arcs. If you hide all of the story arcs, and then select 'Show' in the order that you wish them to be displayed, they will keep that order (with the exception of 'Global', which is always at the top).

Hope this helps. I will do a full review of the User Manual with the next release, as a large number of things will be updated.

Matt

ik
ike

Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:04 am Post

Thanks for your quick response, Matt,

That's brilliant – exactly what I needed. Some more quick questions;

1. Where exactly does colour show up in Entities? I changed a few and it didn't seem to make any difference to the colour of the Entities in the Interface.

2. (Related to (1.) Is it possible to change Event/Entity colour priorities so that Entities maintain the same colour throughout the main interface and don't change according to which event they're linked with. This would make it a lot easier to scan down the length of the narrative to see who's in and who's out of each event. In my particular case, I wouldn't mind all the events having the same colour label as I'm working more off the titles than colour coding.

3. What's the significance/syntax behind the fact that when I click on an Entity/Event intersection the circle changes from empty to filled with colour?

Any more tips would be very welcome.

Best,

Ike

ma
matt

Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:11 am Post

Hi Ike,
At the moment it is only the name at the top that changes. It is my intention to eventually allow the user to toggle between using event and entity colour.

The open circles and filled circles can represent different levels of participation within an event. One example interpretation (although you are open to apply your own):
* An open circle represents observing an event, or being affected by an event, without actually participating (someone may observe and be affected by a serious global event, for instance).
* A closed circle represents an event the character actually participated in.

It is on my eventual to-do list (with a lower priority than several other major changes) to look at adding additional shapes and symbols that can be used, or even allow the user to add their own custom icons.

Matt