Beta 0.4.3 Trial Comments

igregor
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:56 pm Post

Over the weekend I downloaded the latest Beta version (0.4.3) for a test drive. Looks very promising. Here are a few difficulties I observed and some suggestions to add to the wish list:

• While in Entity view -- could not get the entities to slide left or right as advertised; unclear of what to do once circle marker are added to intersection of entity and event (could not figure how to use, or how to annotate); upper left of Entity panel is blanked out and obscures the top portion of the upper most date on the vertical Timeline and the left portion of the first letter of the left most entity; would be nice to be able to organize entities by class/type (person, object, location, etc.); would be nice to be able to easily collapse entities (list of entities gets real long real fast).
• While in Story-Arc view -- changing End date in Inspector does NOT change the End date of the event in the Story-Arc window;
• Timeline>Add Event and Add Entities Menus -- Label colors added in Timeline Settings>Labels Menu did NOT display in either the Add Event or Add Entities Menus.
• Timeline>Manage Entities Menu -- would be nice to have some way to rearrange and group entities.
• Timeline>Manage Story Arcs Menu -- would be nice to have some way to rearrange and group Story Arcs.
• Timeline>Timeline Settings Menu -- would be nice to have same options available for Preferred Date Style as for Inspector Date Format and Timeline Date Format; would be nice to have some way to rearrange and group Tags; would be nice to have some way to rearrange and group Labels.
• Help>Launch Website -- does NOT launch website.
• Scrivener (v 1.5.3) unable to import OPML file exported from Aeon. Received message "...files could not be imported because they were of an unsupported file type or contained data that could not be read." [Note: Scrivener imported RTF file exported from Aeon with no difficulty]

Hope this helps. Looking forward to release of Aeon.
-- iGregor

ma
matt

Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:32 pm Post

Hi,
Thank you for your feedback.

I will fix the various bugs you have reported for the next release.

ra
random_pattern

Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:46 pm Post

Matt,

One of the most important things missing in these builds is a setting for "open last used timeline." This could be put in the program's preferences.

I only ever work on one timeline, so it's a pain for me to have to use two extra steps AFTER I open the program to get my timeline open.

Thanks.

ma
matt

Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:16 am Post

Hi,
Again, thank you, I will look into adding that. In my testing I always have lots of ones to swap around, so I guess I hadn't noticed so much and just use the Open Recent menu. But then I do appreciate that feature in Scrivener.

Spitfire31

Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:51 am Post

Hi Matt,

First, congratulations on creating this concept! Being a dedicated Scrivener user, Aeon TL will probably fit hand in glove with an upcoming novel project of mine, which jumps back and forth between at least three time periods - 1945, the 1950s and present time. So, I'm hooked.

Having just downloaded Aeon TL 0.4.3, I jumped straight in and noticed immediately a number of graphics glitches and Q marks. I'm on a MacBook Pro 2x2.3, running my trusty 10.4.11 for writing tasks (which never gives me any permissions problems, in contrast with my 10.5.8 partition).

I don't know if this is the place to post a number of small screen dumps – perhaps I'd better email them to you directly?

Anyway, in Entity view ('vertical timescale'):

• Often, the 'time margin' seems to be logarithmically compressed – very strange. There may be 5 year intervals in the 1940s, '50s, and so on and then suddenly there's a jump between two scale steps from 2000 to 2500 at the bottom of the same scale. ?

• The 'context bar' is out of sync with the 'time margin' most of the time.

• The vertical, grey time readout to the left of the 'context' bar is also frequently out of time sync with the rest.

• The grey date numbers don't erase properly – if I run the cursor vertically in the 'context bar,' the bar is cluttered up with unerased dates.

• If I want to slide an Event or an Entity in Entity view, I can't see any readout helping me to select a new time slot for the Event/Entity. The grey line in the 'context bar' doesn't follow either.

• I'd really like a handy shortcut for easily changing the resolution of the time scale. For instance, Alt+mousewheel?

As mentioned, I'd be happy to send you a bunch of screen dumps illustrating some of the above points. As you can guess, I haven't had time yet to dive into the finer points of the Aeon TL concept, being a bit thrown off by the graphics glitches. But I'll persevere… ;-)

HTH & Best regards,

Joachim

ma
matt

Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:58 am Post

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback. Can you please email the screenshots to support (at) scribblecode (dot) com.

Thanks,
Matt

ol
olivettini

Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:53 am Post

Hi Matt!

Once again: I appreciate your work on Aeon. Great job. I already posted my export-to-opml-problem. This week I had to face another problem: I tried to delete a story arc. The story arc vanished in the preferences, but did not disappear in the story arc view - is there a way to get rid of it?

Thanks for your help!
Oliver

AndreasE

Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:29 am Post

Hi. I've downloaded the latest version of AEON this morning, because I could use it very well with my next novel project, which demands a lot of juggling with "when has this character to be born in order to be old/young enough when he meets this other character" - almost a whole genealogy tree, in fact. So, AEON would come very handy.

Unfortunately, the first observation after inserting the two main characters: Moving the "is born"-date by dragging it along the timeline doesn't change the display of how old this character is at a given event! Which is sad as this is (at least INMHO) the most basic functionality for what I would like to have an application like AEON.

For example: A is born 1/1/1980. B is born 1/1/1985. There is an event X on 1/1/2000. A is 20 years old, B is 15 years old. Now I move B further down, until he's born 1/1/1982. He should be 18 now at X - but AEON 0.4.3 still displays 15 years.

Switching between views doesn't help. Update can be enforced by clicking the connection between B and X off and on again - but honestly, I wouldn't want to do this with dozens of them. Plus, this used to work in earlier versions that are now outdated, so I am helpless in the moment. Do I have to fall back on a clunky spreadsheet again, or is there a chance of a fixed version soon?

ma
matt

Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:04 am Post

Hi Andreas,
I will look into this for you shortly.

Work has been a little slow of late, due to Christmas etc. and some personal circumstances before that which took up a lot of my time.

But I am not back on board and able to devote appropriate time to Aeon - and I have a second developer who will be working on the project with me for a while. So hopefully, there should be a lot of progress a lot quicker now.

If I am unable to reproduce the problem, I may ask you for more details. Otherwise, I will attempt to release a fix to this and a few other reported bugs ASAP.

Matt

Spitfire31

Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:27 am Post

AndreasE wrote:Unfortunately, the first observation after inserting the two main characters: Moving the "is born"-date by dragging it along the timeline doesn't change the display of how old this character is at a given event! Which is sad as this is (at least INMHO) the most basic functionality for what I would like to have an application like AEON.

This is the way it [doesn't] work for me also, on 10.4.11 as well as 10.5.8. There is no automatic updating of Events when Entities' "born" dates are adjusted.

I'm planning to use Aeon in a very similar situation, so it would be nice to have this fixed. Should be rather easy (says the non-programmer… :wink: ).

Best,

Joachim

AndreasE

Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:36 pm Post

matt wrote:Hi Andreas,
I will look into this for you shortly.

I really would appreciate this :P :P :P

Work has been a little slow of late, due to Christmas etc.

Every novel writer knows this: Always these *&$#§* holidays that keep us from working!

If I am unable to reproduce the problem, I may ask you for more details.

Of course. Feel free to inquire. I have a personal interest in it :lol:

ma
matt

Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:12 pm Post

Hi Andreas,
I have found and fixed this bug this morning. I will release an update later this afternoon, or tomorrow at the latest, once I clean up a couple of other simple bugs and suggestions from other users.

Matt

ma
matt

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:44 am Post

Please download the update from this link and test to make sure it fixes the problem. Assuming everything is in order, I will publish it as a full update.

http://www.scribblecode.com/release/Aeo ... 0_4_4b.zip

Thanks,
Matt

Spitfire31

Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:19 am Post

0.4.4b fixes the 'Born' - 'Event' age automatic recalculation for me – great!

The erasing problem in the lefthand margin on 10.4.11 remains, though.

Best,

Joachim

PJ
PJS
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:11 pm Post

Came here to note an "aging" problem, found update, installed same, problem solved.

Thanks.

Phil
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.