Wish List

Je
JennK

Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:22 pm Post

This might be WAY beyond the scope of Aeon Timeline, but would you consider adding some sort of family tree component to a future version? We've already got the entities in there, and it would be great to be able to put that information to work in other ways.

As an example, I'm working on a trilogy involving characters from several branches of a large family. I can enter a DOB for each character and see how they all relate to the whole, but it would be nice to identify them as belonging to a particular group (family) and see only that sub-set of characters at a time. I'd also like to be able to generate a family tree showing each branch of the family and their offspring, complete with dates of birth, marriage, and (in some cases) death. Right now, I'm doing that last part using the organizational chart feature of Excel, but that requires yet another piece of software, and every time I change a date, I need to manually update the org chart.

Like I said, this may be asking too much, but I thought I'd put it out there...

Thanks!
Jenn

ma
matt

Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:32 pm Post

Hi,
It is beyond the scope of where the project will be heading in the next few months at least. I need to roll-out all the planned timeline features before I look at anything else.

But I will keep the suggestion in mind and won't rule it out for the future completely. I would just need to make sure that it fits within the application and is integrated properly, and adds to the experience for most users (or gets out of the way if it doesn't).

Matt

Ra
Rayz
Platform: Mac

Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:36 am Post

Sounds like a good idea.

:)
As if I didn't talk enough: Dom on Writing

ra
random_pattern

Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:50 pm Post

I could really use the ability to double-click on an event so as to edit it. Right now, whether in Story Arc or Event View, you have to click to select the item, click the Inspector icon, and click in the Title in order to change an Event's name.

Right click (context-sensitive) menus would be awesome, too!

Thanks, Matt.

ma
matt

Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:15 am Post

Hi,
Yes I agree both of these should be done to improve usability, and will be part of a future release.

Hopefully the next one, but it is certainly on the list.

mo
mob2408

Mon May 17, 2010 2:04 am Post

Thanks, Jenn.

I'd really like to see this great application incorporate some way of mapping relationships but I'm not sure how it might be done.

In the meantime, I use Reunion genealogical software [http://www.LeisterPro.com] to do that.
It has many standard fields and user options to assist developing character profiles, as well.

But thanks to Matt for a great app.

Cheers,
Michael
I'm a writer if people I respect call me a writer.
Until then, I'm merely retired and conducting my own therapy.

Je
JennK

Mon May 17, 2010 1:22 pm Post

Michael, thanks for the tip! I started tracking my characters in Mac Family Tree soon after my OP. I'd still ultimately prefer using Aeon, though. Genealogy software is overkill for my writing purposes and requires utilizing yet another app. Whenever I make a change in significant dates for a character, I need to modify the info in two places, which can cause confusion if I fail to update one or the other. Also, genealogy software is intended to record static historical information, whereas Aeon permits me to see at a glance if aging a character in a particular way messes up any significant plot events, allowing me to play with dates in a more useful manner.