BC Dates for Historical Authors?

st
stephdray

Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:47 pm Post

First of all, let me thank you for writing this. I adore Scrivener, but there are some other software packages that are looking mighty tempting to me lately because of their timeline and organizational structures. This may help fill in the gap.

I write a lot of historical fiction though, and perhaps it's just that I haven't figured out how, but is there a way to support dates that fall BC?
Stephanie Draven
www.stephaniedraven.com
stephdraven@gmail.com
WILD, TETHERED, BOUND -- Silhouette Nocturne Bites, August 2009
MIDNIGHT MEDUSA -- Silhouette Nocturne Bites, April 2009

ma
matt

Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:53 pm Post

Hi,
The current timeline uses Apple's in-built date system, which does not support BC dates well.

I am currently working on the ability to define a "Fantasy Calendar", which will allow users to define their own calendar. I intend to include a saved BC/AD calendar using this format in the next release.

Thanks,
Matt

st
stephdray

Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:02 pm Post

matt wrote:Hi,
The current timeline uses Apple's in-built date system, which does not support BC dates well.

I am currently working on the ability to define a "Fantasy Calendar", which will allow users to define their own calendar. I intend to include a saved BC/AD calendar using this format in the next release.

Thanks,
Matt

I'll be patient, then, because I'm in more than slight awe over what you've done. I'm on deadline, frantically trying to pull together a book proposal that requires a tricky sometimes hour-by-hour timeline, and short of starting a spreadsheet (which I loathe), your program is the best I've seen for the way I work. Please accept my thanks.
Stephanie Draven
www.stephaniedraven.com
stephdraven@gmail.com
WILD, TETHERED, BOUND -- Silhouette Nocturne Bites, August 2009
MIDNIGHT MEDUSA -- Silhouette Nocturne Bites, April 2009

Pl
Plette

Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:05 am Post

I would love the ability to define a custom calendar. Besides, there aren't any other timeline apps that support it (unless I've missed one), so I think it would be a huge draw.

Any idea when it will be implemented? I have a couple of timelines, each with thousands of entries, currently in Excel. I look forward to doing some testing.

ma
matt

Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:49 am Post

It will still be some time away I am afraid. Developing the right interface etc. for it is a little tricky, and some of the date calculations (and ensuring it covers for all the possible uses) can get quite complicated.

Matt

Pl
Plette

Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:54 pm Post

I did not mean to seem impatient. I will continue to wait patiently, and watch these boards!