dates and times - and entry forms

ja
janra
Platform: Mac

Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:31 am Post

Hi Matt,

Could you please pretty please go through all your data entry forms and make sure that when you press 'tab' after entering something the focus goes somewhere sane? The tab key is standard for keyboard navigation of forms, and I am constantly having to resort to the mouse.

For example, the new event form. After typing the title, I press tab and the title text (which I just finished typing) is hilighted, when really I want it to move to the next input field. This could be the date field if the short form is shown, or the first extended field if the extended form is shown.

Another example is in the inspector. When I am in the tag entry area and press tab to move on, it goes to the notes area header - which doesn't take any keyboard or mouse input that I can see - when really it should go to the notes area body, where it's possible to type. (After the notes area header, it goes to the "reveal" button, then doesn't leave.)

Finally, not sure if this is OS X's fault or not, but when typing times below the calendar input, there are a few difficulties. One is that if you enter an end time that, when you have typed the hour field but have not yet finished typing the entire time, is before the start time, it rejects what you have typed. For example, an event running from 10AM to 1PM. I type 1 in the end time hour field, then because "AM" is still selected, it fails the sanity check for "end date later than start date" and reverts back to 10. Personally I think in cases like this it should swap the AM to PM and accept the hour, since that's probably what the user meant. :-)

In the same form, if the field is AM and I type "13", it changes automatically to "1" but "AM" does not change to "PM". If the field is PM and I type "13", it rejects the change. I haven't yet found a setting to allow me to use the 24-hr clock and dispense with the AM/PM nonsense entirely.

And speaking of date fields, I would love it if I could type dates into the field instead of using the mouse to click calendar dates. Tabbing through the display fields in whatever order the date format is set to (skipping Mon/Tues/etc) would be perfect.

ma
matt

Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:06 am Post

A lot of those date interfaces will need to be looked at again with the fantasy calendars anyway, and I will try to provide a keyboard-only method (possibly as well as something else) with that update.

Matt

ja
janra
Platform: Mac

Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:11 am Post

Cool. Looking forward to it!