Blerg!

in
inpariswithyou
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:13 pm Post

So, I'm sure you get this all the time, but is there any chance that the program will be compatible with Windows in the future, either near or distant? I can't seem to find any screenshots, but from the descriptions, this sounds like *exactly* the thing I've been looking for for months. When I found out it's Mac-only, I was devastated.

Also, does anyone know of anything comparable that runs in Windows? I've been trying to use Timeglider, but it's got some limitations that are making it hard to work with.

Jaysen

Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:18 pm Post

Speaking for KB, not in the foreseeable future. There are a number of threads about a windows version if you do a search.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

in
inpariswithyou

Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:32 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:Speaking for KB, not in the foreseeable future. There are a number of threads about a windows version if you do a search.

Hmm... I just did a search for "Windows version" and the only result was your reply to my post.

I was also hoping to find recommendations for other programs, in case anyone has any here. There are lots of programs to help you write, but I've yet to find any that actually help you build a timeline. It's pretty frustrating.

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:46 pm Post

inpariswithyou wrote: I just did a search for "Windows version" and the only result was your reply to my post.

Hope this helps: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6746&hilit=edwin

Take care
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Hu
Hugh
Platform: Mac

Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:03 pm Post

Vic and Jaysen - I think inparis is looking for a Windows fiction timeline application, rather than a straight Scrivener for Windows - so Matt's territory rather than KB's.

inparis - don't know of any direct Windows equivalent to Aeon - I suspect Matt's software is the first such dedicated standalone application on any platform, though I can't say I've searched the Internet thoroughly. And very promising it's looking too.

However, Writer's Cafe and Writeitnow include simpler forms of timeline amongst their writing tools.

H
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

in
inpariswithyou

Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:15 pm Post

Hugh,

You hit the nail right on the head, as they say. I actually use a program called yWriter for most of my needs. It's simple and a bit unsightly, but it's perfect for what I need.

There's a web application called Timeglider (http://timeglider.com/) that I've been using for my timelining needs. It's pretty decent, though there do not seem to be any export or print features, and it is tied to the Gregorian calendar, which makes plotting a fantasy war epic a bit difficult, since my characters aren't familiar with January through December. I've been using a quick Excel spreadsheet I developed to assign Gregorian analogs to my Quellosian dates. Messy and awkward, but it's better than nothing.

I'll check out those two suggestions of yours. Haven't heard of them yet, so perhaps my investigations will prove fruitful.

I'm still rather devastated about Aeion's being Mac-only. It's like finding a truckload of money and realizing it's the wrong currency with no way to convert to your own.

~Matt

Jaysen

Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:27 pm Post

DOH!

I didn't notice that I was in the Aeon threads. Sorry. I will now go hang my head in shame. :oops:
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Hu
Hugh

Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:36 pm Post

inpariswithyou wrote:
I'm still rather devastated about Aeion's being Mac-only. It's like finding a truckload of money and realizing it's the wrong currency with no way to convert to your own.

~Matt

Matt,

If I had to stay in Windows, I think I'd use Excel.

But if you can, cross the divide. If this forum is any way to judge, many of us have. It's actually worth it for Scrivener alone, although in any case a Mac is a more efficient, harmonious and pleasant writing environment than a PC.

H
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

Jaysen

Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:40 pm Post

Hugh wrote:
inpariswithyou wrote:

~Matt

Matt,

If you can, cross the divide. If this forum is any way to judge, many of us have. It's actually worth it for Scrivener alone, but in any case a Mac is a more efficient, harmonious and pleasant writing environment than a PC.

H

And there are lots of ways to "do windows" on a mac. I almost always have a windows instance up and running via Parallels, but there is also VMWare's Fusion for us Vm-ers. There is also boot camp if you feel you actually need direct HW support. My experience is that for everything except gaming, VM (Parallels) is more than adequate.
Jaysen

ImageImage

in
inpariswithyou

Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:31 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:My experience is that for everything except gaming, VM (Parallels) is more than adequate.

That's part of my problem, though. I game. Though I could always use this computer for the gaming and buy a new laptop for other things. I've been tempted, but I'm generally resistant to change. I've had Windows-based computers since I started, way back when I was seven or eight, so I'm afraid it'll be too hard for me to switch over!

Also, I'm poor. Heh. How much does a standard Mac-OS laptop run?

Jaysen

Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:09 am Post

You CAN run high performance windows using bootcamp. The difference is that you will need to reboot to go from OSX to Windows and back. Using Vm you run "windows in a window". Depending on what games you are playing you may be fine with a VM. Best place to check is the forums for the VM makers.

As to cost, you can buy brand spanking new starting at $1000. Before you get sticker shock you need to look at specs. Matching CPU, RAM, video, and HD, mac is actualyl a tad cheaper than Dell/HP/IBM. You might find an no-name in the same price range. Now You can get refurb from apple (which is technically new just not different packaging) for a big discount. Then there is the used market. If you are pretty hand you can get a couple of train wrecks from eBay for ~$300 and build a really nice machine.

If you don't need laptop and can use a mini, you can start at $700. Same applies in mini land.

At to the Windows brian change… It will be interesting for you the first month. By the second you will be very comfortable in mac land and start to notice that things seem easier in OSX. By the third month you will start to look for ways to avoid Windows. By the 6th month (unless like me it is an employment thing) you will wonder why you ever used windows in the first place (and you will start using words like winblows and microsnot (granted, I used those before I started using a mac))

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I might be able to help you out.
Jaysen

ImageImage

in
inpariswithyou

Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:17 am Post

Jaysen wrote:You CAN run high performance windows using bootcamp. The difference is that you will need to reboot to go from OSX to Windows and back. Using Vm you run "windows in a window". Depending on what games you are playing you may be fine with a VM. Best place to check is the forums for the VM makers.

As to cost, you can buy brand spanking new starting at $1000. Before you get sticker shock you need to look at specs. Matching CPU, RAM, video, and HD, mac is actualyl a tad cheaper than Dell/HP/IBM. You might find an no-name in the same price range. Now You can get refurb from apple (which is technically new just not different packaging) for a big discount. Then there is the used market. If you are pretty hand you can get a couple of train wrecks from eBay for ~$300 and build a really nice machine.

If you don't need laptop and can use a mini, you can start at $700. Same applies in mini land.

At to the Windows brian change… It will be interesting for you the first month. By the second you will be very comfortable in mac land and start to notice that things seem easier in OSX. By the third month you will start to look for ways to avoid Windows. By the 6th month (unless like me it is an employment thing) you will wonder why you ever used windows in the first place (and you will start using words like winblows and microsnot (granted, I used those before I started using a mac))

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I might be able to help you out.

Thanks! I appreciate the advice.

My small laptop -- which I use for portability, as my desktop is by definition not portable and my gaming computer has an identity crisis, insofar as it thinks it's a laptop but it weighs 9873297 pounds and is the size of a small building -- is on the outs, I think, so I may have to invest in a new bare-bones computer soon. Perhaps I'll invest in a Mac then... in which case I'll be downloading this Aeon, and possibly Scrivener, at once. Sadly, though, I'd feel more competent trying to build a time machine than I would a computer, so I'll probably have to go with the already-built options. :-)

Thanks again!

ma
matt

Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:52 pm Post

Hi,
I am actually considering creating a Windows version, but...

1) I will have to finish the Mac version first
2) I will have to decide I like Windows 7 more than Vista.

For obvious reasons, the Mac version is my first priority. But when the Mac version is finalised, a direct port will become easier anyway.

Thanks,
Matt

in
inpariswithyou

Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:20 pm Post

matt wrote:I am actually considering creating a Windows version, but...

For obvious reasons, the Mac version is my first priority. But when the Mac version is finalised, a direct port will become easier anyway.

Great! I'll keep holding out a bit of hope, then! Thanks for letting me know.

Ra
Rayz

Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:47 am Post

matt wrote:Hi,
I am actually considering creating a Windows version, but...

Thanks,
Matt

Sounds good.

Windows7 is excellent, but overpriced in my opinion. They've cleaned up the problems and the UI is great, but I still feel that much of it is cleaning up. They would have created a lot more goodwill if they'd been more generous with the pricing.

Personal rant.
As if I didn't talk enough: Dom on Writing