Important: Version 0.4.2 Alpha (Testers Wanted!)

ma
matt

Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:50 pm Post

Hi all,
I have just released version 0.4.1, which fixes the problem people were having in version 0.4.0 where some timelines created with older versions could not open correctly. Unfortunately, it has been reported that this version does not save the participation between Entities and Events correctly.

I believe I have identified and fixed this bug, but I am hoping a team of alpha testers will be able to check it out for me and confirm that it is resolved before I make it into a full release. For simplicity, I have just uploaded a zip file. It can be downloaded from this URL:

http://release.scribblecode.com/AeonTimeline_0_4_2.zip

In the mean time, anyone wishing to revert to the previous stable version (0.3.1) can do so by looking on the Latest Release page on the development blog at http://aeontimeline.wordpress.com

Version 0.3.1 is due to expire at the end of September (the warning message says August), but we will have a stable 0.4 release by then.

Apologies for the difficulties caused by this latest release. For future releases, I will go through an opt-in update system to do some initial beta testing before publishing it as an automatic update. This should help resolve some of the teething issues we have experienced this time around.

Thanks,
Matt

ma
matt

Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:55 pm Post

I have just updated this thread with a link to a version that fixes this problem.

If several people can download it and test it, and let me know either here or via PM how it goes, that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

ja
janra
Platform: Mac

Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:08 pm Post

I checked the 0.4.1 I had for participation circles after you mentioned it and noticed that apart from birth events, they had all disappeared. So with 0.4.2 I re-added the circles, saved, quit, and restarted Aeon. The participation information was still there.

Thanks!

(Also, Aeon starts up so fast on my computer that I sit there waiting for a while and then realize that it's waiting for me! Is there a chance of having it auto-open the files it had open when last it closed? Or is that already on the list for later?)

beru
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:53 pm Post

same here, I can open the file and the circles are there. Thank you very much! (0.4.2 on 10.5.8)

Br
Briar21

Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:34 pm Post

I just tried this version and it opened up my previous version files just fine and kept all the circles and their relationships. Whew. The other update had me worried for a bit.

If it helps, I'm on 10.4.11.

an
angelabrooks

Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:41 am Post

Hello. I just downloaded this (the 0.4.2 version) to try it out, and I'm loving the program. I think it will be very useful in planning out my stories, especially since I'm working on a multi-book series spanning years and generations. It's great to be able to have what age each character is at any particular time, without having to go back and re-calculate it every time.

It does seem to be having problems freezing up, though. Whenever I add a new entity, it seems to freeze for a while, though if I let it sit long enough it sometimes responds a little. At first I was able to save and quit and restart, and after that it worked fine, with the newly added stuff showing up correctly. But now I seem to have gotten it messed up somehow so it is still very slow and freezes even after I quit and restart. When it freezes the menu stuff at the top of the window disappears, although I can still get to the menus in the top bar and it works, although very slowly. I've played with it a little and after it sits a while and unfreezes, I can work with things until I try to select one of the birth events, and then it freezes again.

I hope this can be worked out, because I really do love this and hope I can use it. I'm especially looking forward to the fantasy calendar feature!

ra
random_pattern

Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:43 pm Post

Hey, Matt, I want to help. I've done bug testing for years. Where do I sign up? I don't know how to email you. Thanks!

Je
JennK

Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:53 pm Post

Matt, thanks for today's update to extend the expiration date! If you're looking for any more alpha testers, I'd be happy to be a guinea pig. I have extensive experience as a beta tester (my "sideline" job is writing books about computer apps & web design). I'd love to help.