Aeon Timeline Version 0.2.3 (Beta)

ja
janra
Platform: Mac

Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:45 am Post

Matt,

I think I have narrowed down a bit on the scroll-jumping behaviour I reported a while back. That is, sometimes when I scroll using the two-finger scroll on the trackpad, the window jumps instead of scrolling, frequently in the opposite direction and sometimes an annoyingly long way.

When it jumps, it's always when I've done a two-finger scroll with the pointer over the event names, not in the entity space. When it jumps, it's always when I have just clicked back to the Aeon window from another program or have just changed something in an event. It doesn't always jump in those cases, but when it does jump it seems to be always in those cases.

Nothing in the console.

For now I'm trying to remember to scroll with the pointer over the entity space.

ma
matt

Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:30 am Post

Hi janra,
Thanks for that.

I will keep an eye out for it as I am working on the next update.

For all those wondering, still slaving away... this is the biggest update left, so it will still be a while away. But I am making progress.

Matt

Ro
RobLewis

Mon May 11, 2009 5:07 am Post

Just downloaded and tried it.
Created a new timeline.
Changed the date formats and set the starting year to -6000.
Got the beachball and had to force quit after waiting quite a while.

I didn't find any of the offered date formats really "spot on." I prefer the ISO 8601 format "YYYY-MM-DD" and the variations thereof in the ISO spec.

ma
matt

Mon May 11, 2009 7:08 am Post

Hi Rob,
Yeah, unfortunately the application cannot handle BC dates right now - this is something that will be fixed up when you can define your own calendar.

Thanks for the bug catch though - for the time being, I will add a check to make sure the number entered is positive.

I will also add the ISO standard format to the date drop-down: do you have a link to the standard?

Matt

Ro
RobLewis

Mon May 11, 2009 11:37 am Post

matt wrote:Hi Rob,
Yeah, unfortunately the application cannot handle BC dates right now - this is something that will be fixed up when you can define your own calendar.

Thanks for the bug catch though - for the time being, I will add a check to make sure the number entered is positive.

I will also add the ISO standard format to the date drop-down: do you have a link to the standard?

Matt

Hi, Matt. Wikipedia will tell you all you need to know about ISO 8601: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

kirkesque

Tue May 12, 2009 12:36 am Post

Downloaded this today and I've been trying to create a simple timeline to check out the program.

I'm in the final draft of a novel I've been working on and used it for my test of the program (as I did with Scrivener).

In Timeline Settings, I put in August 23, 2007 as a start date and September 24 as an end date. Each of the dozen-some times I've tried this, I get the pretty spinning wheel and then a crash.

The program really sounds interesting, and something i could put to effective use, if I could get it to work.

Get idea; hope I can use it sometime. :)

~kirk
"Language is a skin: I rub my language against the other.
It is as if I had words instead of fingers, or fingers at the tip of my words.
My language trembles with desire."
— Roland Barthes

ma
matt

Tue May 12, 2009 4:16 am Post

Hi kirk,
Thanks for the bug report. It surprises me somewhat... I thought the current release was fairly stable.

I will look into it and see if I can find the cause, and a work around. Was it September 24, 2007?
At some point in the process, did you make the start date later than the finish date, perhaps?
(Obviously this shouldn't cause a crash, but it sounds like the kind of potential culprit).

Matt

kirkesque

Tue May 12, 2009 7:30 am Post

Matt,

Nope, the end date was definitely after the start date. :)

The process went: changed the date format from default 23/5/1999 style to 5/23/1999. Then start date August 23, 2007 and end date September 24, 2007. This would hang up the program so nothing else would happen (spinning beach ball/colored pinwheel). Even doing a forced quit would take a while to have an effect.

Hoping a remedy can be found. Reading the pdf manual, I'm very interested in using the program.

~kirk
"Language is a skin: I rub my language against the other.
It is as if I had words instead of fingers, or fingers at the tip of my words.
My language trembles with desire."
— Roland Barthes

ma
matt

Mon May 18, 2009 8:57 am Post

Hi kirk,
I should have asked this earlier, but could you run the program with the Console open and let me know any error messages that appear there from Aeon, and also see if there is a crash log.

Instructions for how to find these (obviously substitute Aeon for Scrivener) can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=52

In the mean time, I will try to repeat it myself, and let you know the result.

Thanks,
Matt

ma
matt

Mon May 18, 2009 11:08 am Post

Hi Kirk,
Actually, don't worry about it, I have reproduced the problem. It seems that the application enters an infinite loop if you set the timeline to be too short. Sorry about that!

I will fix it for the next release.

In the mean time, if you set the gap between the start and end of your timeline to be about a year or more (I didn't test to find the minimum, but a year is fine) the crash will not occur.

Thanks,
Matt

Su
Susievintage

Mon May 25, 2009 2:41 pm Post

Good afternoon

I have just downloaded Aeon TImeline for the first time, and am spending my BH Monday learning how to use it - and enjoying it. Thank you.

However, there is one thing I cannot get to work. To link an entity and an event, it says in the user manual:
"To cycle between ‘no participation’, ‘observer’, and ‘participant’ in order, click on the
intersection between the entity’s and the event’s lines."
But when I click on the intersection, I only cycle between nothing, open circle and filled circle - no X, which I would like, as several of my characters die. (Cheerful stuff.)

Am I misunderstanding, or is this a known bug?
Best wishes from Susan

ma
matt

Tue May 26, 2009 12:49 am Post

Hi Susan,
I figured that since characters usually only die once, it didn't make sense to have death as part of the single-click cycle.

If you right-click, you will get the other options.

Su
Susievintage

Tue May 26, 2009 8:46 am Post

Hi Matt
How do you right-click on a Mac? I'm a dab hand at it on the PC, but can't seem to do it on the Mac... Probably just being daft.
Best wishes from Susan

ma
matt

Tue May 26, 2009 9:43 am Post

Two options:
1) Buy a 2-button mouse.
2) Hold down Ctrl when clicking.

The second, until recently, is the Mac way. But since I also came from PCs, and I have a 2 button mouse, I often forget to say Right-click or Ctrl-click.

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed May 27, 2009 1:46 pm Post

matt wrote:Two options:
1) Buy a 2-button mouse.
2) Hold down Ctrl when clicking.

The second, until recently, is the Mac way. But since I also came from PCs, and I have a 2 button mouse, I often forget to say Right-click or Ctrl-click.

If you have a mighty mouse, you can simply press on the right side of the mouse. Just be sure you apply no pressure on the left side.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09