All users should update to this version as it represents a substantial improvement over the last version.
Key features of this release include:
- Folding timeline - periods with relatively few events will be zoomed out (eg. shown as decades), but the timeline will automatically increase the zoom around key areas, such as multiple events in a month or day.
- Tags and Hot Tags - events can now be tagged with keywords, and important tags can be shown on a header bar, allowing you to filter the events that are shown with a single click.
- Customisable Labels - the existing ‘event colours’ have now been expanded to fully customizable labels. You can now add and delete labels, change their titles and colours, and set a label as a default.
- Age-less Entities - characters have been expanded to ‘entities’. They no longer require a birth/start date, and can be added, deleted, and edited via a control window. All of the existing functionality with ages, etc. still remains available.
- Improved interface - new header and footer bars have been added, and selected events now ‘pop-out’ of the timeline. You can also, via preferences, change the width allocated for events before the first entity is listed, and change the spacing between entities.
- Various minor enhancements - notes auto-save, validation to ensure events have an actual title, all fields available in Add Event window, etc.
- The user manual has been completely revised and rewritten for the current version, and includes some additional information about the application to come.
- From this version onwards, Aeon Timeline supports automatic updates, which means you will be notified whenever an update is available, and able to download it directly within the program.
Over 200 people downloaded the previous beta, and I hope even more users will test out this latest version. If you know other users who may be interested in the program and the direction the program is taking, please encourage them to take a look.
Before downloading the beta, please read the Introduction and Beta/Forum Rules.
Please post all general bug reports found in this beta as a reply to this thread. Wish list items and discussion of other pending features belong in their own threads. Before posting a bug, please review the documentation and the below list of already reported bugs, to see if it is a known problem.
If the application crashes, please include the crash log and output from the Console in your bug report.
- Known display problem in Tiger where the date is displayed next to the overview bar.