Distance between 2 events

AndreasE

Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:22 am Post

Working on the timeline for my actual novel with AEON, I find that quite often it would be useful to know the distance between two events.

For example: I have one event, a historical one, and I am thinking about something taking place six weeks before. Or thirteen days after.

Without counting and without using a spreadsheet besides AEON, of course.

Introducing "characters" for events feels odd and bloats up the timeline.

The interface I'd like would go like this: I click on two events, the shift key pressed. These two events get, for example, two small flag icons, and somewhere - in the Inspector most likely - the distance between these two events is displayed. I can drag the two events around, having their relative distance always up to date (in several formats: days, weeks + days, months + days etc.). When I am finished, I'd click on a button that closes this display again, and the two flag icons disappear.

ma
matt

Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:52 pm Post

I like the general idea. Would need to think about the best way to reflect it in the interface etc. to make it as seamless and natural as possible, but certainly showing the distance between two events would be a useful function to have.