Aeon Timeline Version 0.1.2 (Beta)

ma
matt

Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:39 am Post

Aeon Timeline Version 0.1.2 (Beta) can be downloaded from the following URL:

http://aeontimeline.wordpress.com/latest-version/

All users should update to this version. This release addresses the bugs found in the previous release, and introduces a couple of minor features. The change list is available when you download the new version, and is reproduced in the development blog.

Before downloading the beta, please read the Introduction and Beta/Forum Rules.

Please post all general bug reports found in this beta as a reply to this thread. Wish list items and discussion of other pending features belong in their own threads. Before posting a bug, please review the documentation and the below list of already reported bugs, to see if it is a known problem.

If the application crashes, please include the crash log and output from the Console in your bug report.

REPORTED BUGS

No bugs reported at this time.

PJ
PJS
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:31 am Post

Matt --

Odd crash. I set up a small time line, saved it, closed. Reopened later with no problem. Played around with notes in the Inspector panel: tried pasting in a 1500 word item just to see what would happen, and it went in OK. Saved it again, closed, and re-opened. Then, when I tried to fiddle with date and duration, I got the spinnng wheel and a crash. (Log attached)

Also: In the NOTES panel in the Inspector: whenever I hit the RETURN, all I get is full selection, as if I'd hit CMD-a. The only way to get a new section, or a new paragraph, is with OPT-RETURN.

Also: If I paste a passage into the notes panel, I can delete it by hitting RETURN (which marks the whole passage) then DELETE. But if I paste the same large passage (more than enought to fill the panel) multiple times, I have to erase it multiple times, as if the passages were being pasted on top of one another rather than in sequence.

Also: If I change or delete an entry in the notes panel, then immediately save, the changes are not registered; reopen and the original version is still there. Changes register only if I close the inspector (no or multiple events selected) before saving and closing the file.

Phil
Attachments
Aeoncrash110608.txt
(25.75 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.

ma
matt

Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:47 am Post

PJS wrote:Matt --

Odd crash. I set up a small time line, saved it, closed. Reopened later with no problem. Played around with notes in the Inspector panel: tried pasting in a 1500 word item just to see what would happen, and it went in OK. Saved it again, closed, and re-opened. Then, when I tried to fiddle with date and duration, I got the spinnng wheel and a crash. (Log attached)

Also: In the NOTES panel in the Inspector: whenever I hit the RETURN, all I get is full selection, as if I'd hit CMD-a. The only way to get a new section, or a new paragraph, is with OPT-RETURN.

Also: If I paste a passage into the notes panel, I can delete it by hitting RETURN (which marks the whole passage) then DELETE. But if I paste the same large passage (more than enought to fill the panel) multiple times, I have to erase it multiple times, as if the passages were being pasted on top of one another rather than in sequence.

Also: If I change or delete an entry in the notes panel, then immediately save, the changes are not registered; reopen and the original version is still there. Changes register only if I close the inspector (no or multiple events selected) before saving and closing the file.

Phil

Hi Phil,
Thanks for the crash report. I don't think the crash has anything to do with the notes, but if you can find another way to reproduce it, please let me know.

Regarding the notes panel. At the moment, hitting ENTER acts to commit the change, as it does with the index cards in Scrivener. This is the standard default Mac OS X behaviour for the type of control I used. As you said, Opt-Enter will give you a newline character.

I will see if I can change this behaviour for the next update (as well as add a scrollbar, which does not currently appear).

Similarly, the changes in the notes do not require you to close the inspector, but it does require you to shift the focus out of that text field before it commits the changes (again, the index cards in Scrivener behave the same way if you quit while editing - it seems to be part of the operating system). I will look into this and see if I can get it to save automatically.

ro
rochefore

Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:23 pm Post

Thank you for this wonderful application. I have been waiting for something like this. Sending you my published works though would be so expensive that I would rather (and happily) just pay for Aeon.

All the best to you, and thank you again,

r

ma
matt

Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:20 pm Post

Thanks for the feedback.

Don't stress about the license... it was just something I added as a cute joke for the beta testing. It will be replaced by a proper license and require purchasing etc. when the application reaches version 1.0

But since you are the second person to comment on the license, I will change it for the next release :)

PJ
PJS

Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:27 pm Post

Matt --

Probably not necessary to change the program's behavior when it's easier for me to change mine.

I do think a scroll bar would help, as would auto-save.

Phil
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.

antony

Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:54 pm Post

Isn't it just typical that I wait and wait for this app, and then as soon as I drop off the forums for a couple of weeks owing to work, the beta appears? ;)

Thanks for all your hard work, Matt. Downloading now, and testing forthwith.
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

ma
matt

Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:35 pm Post

Hi antony,
Was wondering where you had got to :D

It is currently 4:30am, and I have been up programming all night.

After using the program seriously for about an hour this afternoon, it became quickly evident that straight zooming wasn't enough and some kind of automatic warping of the space-time continuum would be required... which is what I have been programming all night.

So now in my version, the long stretched out bit showing people's birthdays is collapsed into 20 year increments, and the day to day stuff where the story takes place is showing a week. Only problem is, the overview bar and date/time listings on the side haven't been updated, so I never know where I am.

Anyway, I will have that done by the weekend. But you don't get another release until tagging, and possibly multiple story-arcs, are implemented as well.

Matt

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:33 pm Post

matt wrote:t is currently 4:30am, and I have been up programming all night.

You really need to get as much rest as you can, Ned. You`ve been a bit tetchy these past few weeks.
Get off to bed and dream of Roos `n` Kookaburras and Sheilas of course.
Attachments
kookaburra.png
kookaburra.png (12.01 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

antony

Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:59 am Post

matt wrote:Hi antony,
Was wondering where you had got to :D

Work is the curse of the procrastinating classes.
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

antony

Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:05 pm Post

Right, I've had a play :)

OVERVIEW BAR
It's possible to drag the bar out of view off the top or bottom of the time scale. In such cases, it should snap back to the upper/lower end of the scale. (It currently doesn't, it just disappears.)

(EDIT TO ADD: I'm talking about the purple highlight bit within the overview bar, obviously.)

DURATION DROPDOWN
If I change the duration of an event in the Inspector dropdown, then click off onto anywhere other than the number field, the change doesn't stick. It only sticks if I move the focus to the number field immediately after changing the dropdown value, and then press return.

HIDING CHARACTERS
Weird glitch. If I have multiple characters and right-click to hide one, any remaining characters to the right of the hidden character have their names shunted to the left by one column, but their events stay in their correct columns. Either the events should also shunt to the left, or the characters should remain on the right :D
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

ha
hawksmoor

Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:41 pm Post

Downloaded beta 0.1.2 and it seems that the print/pdf bug is still in place... I'm on a macbook pro 2.33 ghz and Leopard 10.5.5.
Other than that it seems that my needs are very basic at the moment, so I didn't stress the app enough :)

Very good work Matt for a .1.2 release.

Ciao, Andrea
Coffee lover

ma
matt

Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:25 am Post

Thanks Andrea,
I will take another look at the print and export before the next release. I was sure I fixed that up though. It is a very basic export/print option at the moment - it basically just prints or exports the view exactly as you see it on the screen.

Developing better export and print options is something on my list for a later release.

The next release, v0.2 is coming along slowly. Tags have been added, including filtering on tags to allow you to swap entire sets of events in and out. Labels can also now be customised. I just need to work on a few more GUI bits and pieces, and a better way to manage characters (now called entities) with and without birthdates, and the release will be ready.

Probably a few weeks away, at least, but I am aiming for a November release.

Matt

ma
matt

Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:46 pm Post

99 downloads for the new beta.

Can someone be kind and make it 100 by the time I wake up in the morning? :D

Matt

ha
hawksmoor

Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:34 pm Post

matt wrote:99 downloads for the new beta.

Can someone be kind and make it 100 by the time I wake up in the morning? :D

Matt

Done!!! :D :!: :mrgreen:
Coffee lover