Institutions and Age-less characters

ma
matt

Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:08 am Post

xiamenese wrote:I don't think "Thing" is a good idea ... it would make it sound as if you really couldn't think of a name for this abstraction and so were just using "Thing" by default. I'd go with "Entity"; that can cover physical structures like buildings as well as people and institutions of all kinds ... all potential "legal entities". And if anyone were to need to use the option -- I don't know how to put it better for the moment -- for some truly abstract concept or event, labelling it an "entity" is no worse than labelling it a "thing".

Yeah, I think I am leaning towards 'Entity'. It appears to cover most of the requirements, and nobody would consider an event an entity, like they would for a lot of the generic alternatives.

antony

Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:29 am Post

I was actually just thinking "Entity" as I read your initial post, Matt, before you listed the thesaurus results. So that's another vote for it here :)
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

pe
pete340

Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:43 am Post

matt wrote:
xiamenese wrote:I don't think "Thing" is a good idea ... it would make it sound as if you really couldn't think of a name for this abstraction and so were just using "Thing" by default. I'd go with "Entity"; that can cover physical structures like buildings as well as people and institutions of all kinds ... all potential "legal entities". And if anyone were to need to use the option -- I don't know how to put it better for the moment -- for some truly abstract concept or event, labelling it an "entity" is no worse than labelling it a "thing".

Yeah, I think I am leaning towards 'Entity'. It appears to cover most of the requirements, and nobody would consider an event an entity, like they would for a lot of the generic alternatives.

"Entity" isn't right, either, although I don't have a suggestion that's clearly better. "The Age of Enlightenment" isn't an entity. How about "span" or "timespan"? "duration" doesn't seem quite right, but it's the essence of the notion. "extent"? "period"? "epoch"?
-- Pete Image

ma
matt

Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:01 am Post

We are referring to the objects though... the people, the places, etc. Entity is the best fit to describe what they actually are... and at a stretch, I would accept The Age of Enlightenment as an entity too.

Spans, etc. would refer to the time between birth and death, for instance, but not to the person.

Matt

pe
pete340

Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:22 pm Post

matt wrote:We are referring to the objects though... the people, the places, etc. Entity is the best fit to describe what they actually are... and at a stretch, I would accept The Age of Enlightenment as an entity too.

Spans, etc. would refer to the time between birth and death, for instance, but not to the person.

Exactly. <g> The key thing, in my view, is that it's something with a duration.
-- Pete Image