Zooming Questions/Issues

igregor
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:30 pm Post

Greetings.

I'm running Aeon 1.0.8 on OS 10.7.4 with a scrolling wheel mouse (no trackpad), and have come across a couple issues while zooming:

(1) The trick to zoom while using scroll wheel and command click works, at best, intermittently. On the rarest occasion scrolling left or right while command clicking works as advertised. However most of the time -- almost all of the time, for me -- nothing happens, at all.

(2) The scrolling limits of the +/- buttons do not go beyond whatever I set in the context bar lens. That is, the + button only zooms to the highest zoom level that I've already established in the lens. Whenever I am at the max level set in the lens, the + button is greyed out. In order to zoom in more closely I must make adjustments in the limits set by the lens. Is the the way things are supposed to work? I'd think that I'd be able to zoom to the highest level of detail just using the + button, but cannot. Seems Aeon requires me to make repeated adjustments to the lens range in order to set things up the way I want. Then, next time I open Aeon, I have to go through this routine again. Is this the intention? If so, suggest make correction to Aeon whenever possible. If it's not the intention, then suggest there might be a bug -- at least in my system.
-- iGregor

Spitfire31

Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:29 pm Post

igregor wrote:Greetings.

I'm running Aeon 1.0.8 on OS 10.7.4 with a scrolling wheel mouse (no trackpad), and have come across a couple issues while zooming:

(1) The trick to zoom while using scroll wheel and command click works, at best, intermittently. On the rarest occasion scrolling left or right while command clicking works as advertised. However most of the time -- almost all of the time, for me -- nothing happens, at all.

I'm on 1.0.8 as well but running 10.6.8 (I don't fancy 10.7 much…), I don't experience any of the problems that you report, so perhaps it's a Lion issue?

Also, I assume that by "On the rarest occasion scrolling left or right while command clicking works as advertised." you mean shift + scroll wheel?

This works fine on my system as well. Hopefully, Matt will come to the rescue soon…

Best,

Joachim

igregor

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:34 pm Post

Thanks, Spitfire, but I actually mean Command Key, not shift, per page 12 of the manual (excerpt below):

"... holding down the Command (⌘) key ... affects the zoom of the timeline ... when using ⌘-scrolling for zooming, the location of the mouse position will remain at a fixed location in the timeline."
-- iGregor

Spitfire31

Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:48 pm Post

Thanks for the heads up, igregor!

Just to be clear, when I'm using my mouse with scrollwheel (not a touchpad), shift+ scrollwheel scrolls the timeline left or right (provided I'm zoomed into it so that the entire timeline isn't visible, of course – then there's nothing scroll, or pan…

Command+scrollwheel will zoom in or out in the timeline and, as the manual mentions, the spot where the mouse cursor is will remain stationary – very useful.

Contrary to what the manual seems to say, though, using the scrollwhel without any modifier key pressed does nothing at all on my system.

This is running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on a MB Pro 17" Early 2011.

Best,

Joachim

igregor

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:23 am Post

Spitfire31 wrote:Command+scrollwheel will zoom in or out in the timeline and, as the manual mentions, the spot where the mouse cursor is will remain stationary – very useful.

Contrary to what the manual seems to say, though, using the scrollwhel without any modifier key pressed does nothing at all on my system.

Curiouser and couriouser, Spitfire. The former, command plus scroll wheel zooming the timeline, is exactly what my system will NOT do with any consistency (less then 5% of the time). While, using just scroll wheel scrolls the timeline left-right and/or up-down as advertised.

I think I'd like Matt to weigh in on this. Something's hosed. Matt???
-- iGregor