40,000 year timeline zoom; Timeline pops back to start

Bob West
Platform: Mac

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:55 pm Post

Hi…

I'm currently doing the evaluation thing, and have encountered some issues…

As I'm writing a science fiction novel with a super-long timeline -- 40,000 years-plus -- and some of the events are recurring. I created several eras, each 8,100 years in length.

I found that I was unable to zoom in any closer than a window of about 5 months in length. I assume this is because of the timeline length -- and possibly limitations in Cocoa and scaling -- so I tried creating a different fantasy calendar with a short timeline, and that allowed me to zoom all the way in to minutes.

The question here would be-- have you published guidelines anywhere as to how much detail can be seen in calendars / timelines of various lengths? I'd like to not have to just do a trial-and-error thing to figure out the longest calendar/timeline I can use and still see minute-level granularity.

BTW-- That was me who got a crash when removing several of the long eras, and sent notes with the report. :)

Also-- For me, the timeline is constantly popping back to the very start. This happens often when dragging the horizontal scrollbar.

It also happens when I try to drag any event; if I click on an event, there's no problem, but if I drag it in any direction, the timeline pops back to the beginning.

So, in my case, all dragged events would end up happening 40,000 years ago. :)

My novel's present-day action occurs on a window that's less than 10 years in length. All other events happen prior to that, and are referred to as history. So I could conceivably limit the timeline to those 10 years. But I do need some way of keeping track of the ancient events, like wars, etc. So I suppose I could create a second timeline for the ancient events -- but I wouldn't be able to sync it with Scrivener, since that would break sync for the present-day documents.

The only other (very minor) comment I would have is that at certain scales, there are no date labels visible at all in the timeline header; that might stand some UI adjustment.

Anyway, that's it for now. The app is really impressive, and I really like what you're doing. I'm pretty sure I'll be buying AT, but I would like to make sure I can get the most out of it.

Thanks!

…Bob West
…Bob

Robert M. West
The Road of the Sky

Bob West
Platform: Mac

Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:14 am Post

Hi, Matt!

Got your email reply to the crash report… glad to hear you found that bug!

Looks like we're on the same page on the dual-timeline approach. GMTA. :)

If you do figure out the max length for the timeline to still be able to zoom to the minutes level, let me know.

Thanks again…

…Bob
…Bob

Robert M. West
The Road of the Sky