[AT 1/0+] Feature request: entity types

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:14 am Post

I'm creating what I originally thought a timeline would be useful to me for, but before AT began its gestation: a very "broad-brush" history of Britain. I have to give a 20 hour introduction to it to students here, and I've always thought a timeline would help me identify the important milestones and relate them to each other.

One thing that I have immediately felt I'd like is the ability to add new Entity types. In particular, I'd like to be able to create an entity for "Races" or "Peoples", as opposed to just "People", to be able to separate as entities, the Normans and William the Conqueror, for instance. I am sure that there are other entity types that could come to mind. I can see no way of doing this, but perhaps it's my inexperience.

For my purposes too, of course, to echo another thread, I would like to be able to reduce dates to a year only, without month or day, e.g. 600 BC or 1066 or 1535 AD are often all I will need — I'm not writing history. Yes, I can set arbitrary days and months, but would prefer not to.

Mark

Edited to change title as per the following exchanges.
Last edited by xiamenese on Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.14.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.3.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

ma
matt

Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:32 am Post

One of the things I want to do is make the list of Entity types changeable, but at the moment it is fixed. Someone else has suggested assigning an icon to each one too, which might be a good idea.

BTW - do you actually want event types (as per the title), or entity types (as per the rest of the text)?

I will look to make it possible to set events at the month or year level only in a future update also.

Regards,
Matt

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:33 am Post

:oops: Yes, I meant entity types.

Races or Peoples, perhaps Buildings, social groupings like Political Parties ... making it possible to add to the list of types when you can get round to coding it would be great. It seems to me that, as you think of extending the possible use-types for Aeon into basic project-planning and management, as has been suggested in another thread for instance, or the use that Jaysen made of it, enabling the user to define their own entity types will be very much to the point.

This request aside, my first experience is very positive, though I have much to learn!
:)

Mark

Edited to change title as per this discussion.
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.14.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.3.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …