[Aeon Timeline] Update Release 1.0.1 - Advanced Download

ma
matt

Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:03 pm Post

Hi all,
For anyone who has been tracking the bugs and request changes in 1.0.0 of Aeon and waiting for an update, I have just uploaded a version with several fixes (listed below).

Most of the changes are cosmetic or fairly minor, so I do not think that this update has significant risk, but I will spend a little bit more time testing it before making it available via Auto-Update etc. In the mean time, if anyone has been hanging out for any of the fixes, you can download the newer version from:

http://release.scribblecode.com/AeonTimeline_1_0_1.dmg

If you do download it, please reply to this and confirm that the changes/fixes (of those listed below) that most concerned you are now working correctly, or alternatively, let me know here if you encounter the same bugs again, or any new bugs I may have overlooked.

If all goes well, I will distribute it more widely closer to the weekend.

Regards,
Matt

----

Fixes for version 1.0.1:

* Locking events now extends to dragging into a different Story Arc, and editing dates in the Inspector.

* Fixed the file saving and loading to handle arcs and other things that contain & in the name.

* The default date format in the timeline is now "23 May 2012", as this is less confusing as a default for my American cousins, without making me abandon my Australian roots completely. I have also linked to the Global preferences from within Timeline settings, to hopefully draw attention to the two different settings.

* If anyone appears to be typing into the wrong date field (eg. entering 23 as a month), a warning message now pops up which can take users directly to Global Preferences to change the setting. This message box can be dismissed so that it never returns. It is mostly there as an initial introduction for the uninitiated.

* The date picker has been overhauled to fix several bugs, including preventing any invalid characters from entered, or additional digits that will take a field beyond its acceptable limit. This should also fix the disappearing field bug that some users saw in 1.0.0, and is more thorough in committing any changes to the date when you move to another field. [Note that if you try to leave the field with an invalid date - eg. April 31, or Feb 29 2007 - it will revert to the previous value automatically].

* Fixed the CSV importer to handle fields surrounded in quotes.

* Hopefully, I have fixed the crash that some people encountered when attempting to validate their security licence. But as I have not reproduced this, I cannot confirm the fix.

* Fixed the shortcut for Manage Entities so it does not conflict with System shortcut for Minimise.

* Fixed a bug that prevented Versions from working on small screens.

* Fixed multiple causes of potential memory leaks.

sa
sarajiel
Platform: Mac

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:57 pm Post

Hi Matt,

Thanks for this quick bugfix!

After some quick testing, I can confirm that versions work on a MacBook Air in 1.0.1, also the ampersands are working again for me.
I really like the new way event locking works. It's really useful now without being to restrictive while working in the inspector. :D

The date picker and date fields improvements are also very good, but there is still something that bothers me a bit. There is no indication that a given date is invalid while editing fields. Maybe you should add another level of warning like a little exclamation mark icon next to the date field to avoid confusion. In case a user isn't aware that the entered date is invalid such a warning might help to find the reason why Aeon Timeline behaves in the way it does, e.g moving Feb 29 from 2008 to 1900 or 2100. This might be especially useful for odd fantasy calendars with extremely different lengths of months.

Hope you don't mind that I add some things that aren't mentioned on your list of fixes before I forget them again.

Something else I noticed while testing was another occurrence of the label color oddity/bug. I noticed the update of a changed "Label" also needs to be forced when working in the inspector like leaving the inspector or placing the cursor in the "Tags" field before putting it back into the "Title" field. In comparison changes to the "Arc" are updated immediately.

Another small thing that seems to be a bit buggy in 1.0.1 is the export dialog. After opening a file it takes two clicks on the Toolbar button or the Menu item or hitting the hotkey twice to open it. If I remember correctly this dialog opened immediately in earlier versions.

Sarajiel

ma
matt

Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:30 am Post

Hi,
I do like your idea of a warning when an invalid date is set. The exclamation mark is possible or perhaps I could simply change the text colour to red (saves on space in the narrow inspector).

That does sound like odd behaviour for the export dialog. I will attempt to replicate it tonight.

Could you look in the console logs (open Console from Applications -> Utilities, and then click on "All Messages" at the top, and scroll through looking for anything from Aeon Timeline around that time.

Regards,
Matt

Ur
Ursula

Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:56 am Post

Thank you for the update!

Entering and changing dates works now without empty spaces and blinking cursors.
I'm grateful for the now really locked events. :-)
Me too would like a warning if an invalid date is set, so it could not be overseen that the date reverts to the previous entered.

One more thing: Right-Clicking on a selected event doesn't bring up a menu to change label and tags, as mentioned in the User Manual. My or my computer's fault?

Overall I start to have some fun with Aeon, I hope I will be able to test the CSV import and synchronizing tools with Scrivener very soon.

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:17 pm Post

Remember that I am dumber than a box of rocks, even when i am being smart.

When will this go out as an official release?
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ma
matt

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:33 am Post

I have just released Aeon Timeline version 1.0.2. It is available for download via the website, or using automatic updates from within Aeon Timeline.

This version contains all of the changes listed above for version 1.0.1, plus the date picker now turns red if an invalid date is entered, and fixed a minor bug when changing event labels.

Thanks,
Matt

ma
matt

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:37 am Post

Ursula wrote:One more thing: Right-Clicking on a selected event doesn't bring up a menu to change label and tags, as mentioned in the User Manual. My or my computer's fault?

I have tested this on Lion and Snow Leopard and it works correctly.

Which OS are you using when this isn't working.

Matt

ma
matt

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:37 am Post

Jaysen wrote:Remember that I am dumber than a box of rocks, even when i am being smart.

Well, my first post said "closer to the weekend". But in the end, it never was. I moved on and released 1.0.2 instead.

Hope that doesn't leave you too confused!

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:56 pm Post

matt wrote:
Jaysen wrote:Remember that I am dumber than a box of rocks, even when i am being smart.

Well, my first post said "closer to the weekend". But in the end, it never was. I moved on and released 1.0.2 instead.

Hope that doesn't leave you too confused!

My would be exploding! Luckily that is not a problem any more.

Update is installing as I type.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

Ur
Ursula

Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:56 pm Post

matt wrote:
Ursula wrote:One more thing: Right-Clicking on a selected event doesn't bring up a menu to change label and tags, as mentioned in the User Manual. My or my computer's fault?

I have tested this on Lion and Snow Leopard and it works correctly.

Which OS are you using when this isn't working.

Matt

You are right: It works with 10.6.8. But it isn't working on my iMac G5 with 10.5.8.
(This is true for Aeon 1.0.1 and 10.0.2. Just installed and tested this function on both systems.)

Thanks for the update!