[AT 1.0 Feature Request] Color selection

io
iota
Platform: Mac

Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:30 pm Post

Regarding colors in AT it'd be great if we could:

(1) Use the OSX color-picker as it allows more colors, saving colors, and more flexible choosing of colors.

(2) Save a default palette of color labels app wide instead of just per document. Right now if I like a particular color scheme I need to set it up for every document. (The workaround for now is to duplicate the document then delete the existing data).

(3) Allow label selection for entities. Right now one must manually choose colors. Sometimes, I'd like the entity to match the color of a set of events.

(4) Allow color labels to be reordered in Timeline preferences. Right now the order is strictly listed according to its creation date. If a frequently used color label is created later on it will require sifting through the combo box to get through instead of allowing it to be moved near the top or near the default color.

ma
matt

Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:05 pm Post

iota wrote:Regarding colors in AT it'd be great if we could:

(1) Use the OSX color-picker as it allows more colors, saving colors, and more flexible choosing of colors.

(2) Save a default palette of color labels app wide instead of just per document. Right now if I like a particular color scheme I need to set it up for every document. (The workaround for now is to duplicate the document then delete the existing data).

(3) Allow label selection for entities. Right now one must manually choose colors. Sometimes, I'd like the entity to match the color of a set of events.

(4) Allow color labels to be reordered in Timeline preferences. Right now the order is strictly listed according to its creation date. If a frequently used color label is created later on it will require sifting through the combo box to get through instead of allowing it to be moved near the top or near the default color.

Personally, I absolutely hate the default OS X Color picker. Every time I have to use it, I just find it frustrating. The way it floats around not clearly attached to anything, so you are never sure what it might edit. The awful way it lets you select all sorts of colours like system colours that have strange alpha channels and things that are totally unsuitable for what you are picking them for... Even the colour wheel frustrates me, although I understand why it needs to be there for graphics artists etc.

A few people have asked me to put it back though, so I will probably look to make either an option. I have added the other suggestions to the list of things to consider in future updates.

Matt

Ur
Ursula

Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:04 pm Post

iota wrote:Regarding colors in AT it'd be great if we could:

I've been one of those whining for an option to use the Apple colour picker. :D

I really like the new GUI, but I don't like the available colours. And I want to use the same colours in other applications too.

Maybe we are lucky and Matt will help us in the future.