Anyone bought from eSellerate via PayPal?

ma
matt

Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:53 am Post

Has anyone had any success buying from eSellerate through PayPal?

I have a user who has emailed me to say that eSellerate didn't appear to be forwarding to PayPal properly, but since I don't have a PayPal account, I am unable to test it out.

Purchasing Scrivener via PayPal should be the same mechanism if anyone has done that recently.

Thanks,
Matt

SerenusZeitblom
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:06 am Post

I bought the Total Control book yesterday and payed with PayPal without any problem.

My experience with the book:

1. You really don't need a book to use Scrivener effectively (old habits).
2. I don't like to read long testimonials copied from the L&L website in a payed book.
3. It's not so easy to develop a good layout for reference books on the kindle (PDF looks much better).
4. Advance organizers for the book, for each chapter, back and forth crossrefs everywhere - this way, half the book is filled before any specific content gets in. Is this the ("Biblia pauperum") approach of the TC series?
5. Not my cup of tea.
Cheers,
Franz-Josef

Spitfire31

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:10 am Post

Matt,

Immediately that I saw that Aeon was live, I bought it the way you describe – eSellerate and PayPal. It worked just fine and was very smooth.

I installed over the latest beta and had a crash the first time I tried to enter my serial. I took a deep breath, tried again – no problem the second time.

Congratulations on getting Aeon out the door! :mrgreen: (there's no 'applause' smilie so you have to imagine it…)

I hope you will get smashing sales and I'm convinced that you will. The price is certainly fair and will hopefully give you some most well-earned economic returns for all your work.

Thank you also for the nice 20 percent discount for us old hands who've been privileged to witness the somewhat protracted pregnancy and perhaps, in some small way, been able to irritate you with outlandish demands and throw you off track with wacky ideas.

Time to break open that champagne and light that cigar that I'm sure you've got stashed for the occasion!

Best regards,

Joachim

Spitfire31

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:15 am Post

SerenusZeitblom wrote:I bought the Total Control book yesterday and payed with PayPal without any problem
.…

:?:

I think that you may have posted in the wrong forum, Mr. SerenusZeitblom. This is the Aeon Timeline forum, though hosted by L&L. :wink:

/Joachim

ma
matt

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:22 am Post

Spitfire31 wrote:Matt,

Immediately that I saw that Aeon was live, I bought it the way you describe – eSellerate and PayPal. It worked just fine and was very smooth.

I installed over the latest beta and had a crash the first time I tried to enter my serial. I took a deep breath, tried again – no problem the second time.

Hi Joachim,
Thanks for that. Good to hear that PayPal was at least working for someone. Did you get a crash report or anything when you tried to enter the code? I'd like to track that down if I could!

If the PayPal user is still having trouble, I will take it up with eSellerate directly. Hopefully just a minor temporary glitch in the PayPal server though.

Spitfire31 wrote:Congratulations on getting Aeon out the door! :mrgreen: (there's no 'applause' smilie so you have to imagine it…)

I hope you will get smashing sales and I'm convinced that you will. The price is certainly fair and will hopefully give you some most well-earned economic returns for all your work.

Thank you also for the nice 20 percent discount for us old hands who've been privileged to witness the somewhat protracted pregnancy and perhaps, in some small way, been able to irritate you with outlandish demands and throw you off track with wacky ideas.

Time to break open that champagne and light that cigar that I'm sure you've got stashed for the occasion!

Best regards,

Joachim

As for the champagne etc.

The whole thing turned out to be quite unplanned. I was originally going to wait until Keith was ready to send out an email to Scrivener users to help give me a kick start, but the expiry ran out, and I just didn't want to go through the effort of uploading another extended-expiry beta.

Since everything else was done, I pulled the trigger on the proper release and had it all done within about an hour.

That's why I plastered the notice about the discount on my site and in the store as well - I didn't want anyone who was kindly jumping in early missing out on the discount because Keith hadn't sent the email yet (hence my initial desire to sync the two together).

So far, only one person hasn't noticed the code, or perhaps chose not to use it.

Regards,
Matt

ma
matt

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:23 am Post

Spitfire31 wrote:
SerenusZeitblom wrote:I bought the Total Control book yesterday and payed with PayPal without any problem
.…

:?:

I think that you may have posted in the wrong forum, Mr. SerenusZeitblom. This is the Aeon Timeline forum, though hosted by L&L. :wink:

/Joachim

It all shows up on the "Active Topics" list though, and I did ask if anyone had used PayPal recently for Scriv stuff either, so that's alright.

As for the book - I haven't seen it, so I won't comment :)

Matt

Spitfire31

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:49 am Post

matt wrote:Did you get a crash report or anything when you tried to enter the code? I'd like to track that down if I could!

Crash report sent to your support email.

Best,

Joachim

Ur
Ursula

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:13 am Post

matt wrote:Has anyone had any success buying from eSellerate through PayPal?

I didn't want to use PayPal for this, but after reading your question I did without any problems.
I had to trash the Beta before being able to install 1.0, but this happens with other applications too. I had no problems entering the Serial.

Maybe there will be a problem, if I want to use Aeon on my iMac or MacBook or iBook. Depending what I want to do and where I am I use Scrivener and Aeon on those three machines. If I understood the license is only for two computers, isn't it? Even if I you are the only user?

Special thanks not only for the Coupon Code, but also for supporting PPC!

ma
matt

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:49 am Post

Ursula wrote:Maybe there will be a problem, if I want to use Aeon on my iMac or MacBook or iBook. Depending what I want to do and where I am I use Scrivener and Aeon on those three machines. If I understood the license is only for two computers, isn't it? Even if I you are the only user?

I will resolve the EULA confusion and post a copy of it up on my website shortly.

[Edit: The licence agreement is now available via the Support page on our website. It allows for installation on up to five computers, provided it is for a single user.]

Ursula wrote:Special thanks not only for the Coupon Code, but also for supporting PPC!

I will try to support it as long as I can. The newest Xcode on Lion won't even allow me to build it for PPC, so I still need to take it back to an older computer to build the PPC. Provided that computer doesn't die, PPC can still be available!

Matt

shorn
Platform: Mac

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:20 am Post

Hi,

I paid using Paypal and had no problems.

Cheers,
Simon

Ur
Ursula

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:23 am Post

matt wrote:It explicitly allow multiple computers provided they are all (predominantly) used by a single user, so what you are proposing will be fine.

Sounds fair, thank you, Matt!

I hope your PPC computer is in good shape!

ma
matt

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:44 am Post

Ursula wrote:
matt wrote:It explicitly allow multiple computers provided they are all (predominantly) used by a single user, so what you are proposing will be fine.

Sounds fair, thank you, Matt!

I hope your PPC computer is in good shape!

It doesn't have a working battery!

The big problem is Apple is pushing very hard to enforce the dropping of PPC machines (and Leopard for that matter). Basically, anything built with their most up-to-date development tools cannot support PPC at all.

At some point I will need to take advantage of some of those newer features that are only available with those later tools, and at that point the PPC support won't be possible.

I will keep a version online that will run on those older machines (with any minor bug fixes etc), but newer developments may not be able to tag along.

Jaysen

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:48 am Post

The only problem I had with paypal was remembering my #$%! !@#$!@# !@#$$$ password!

Matt, I did use the code, but I plan on purchasing a few extra copies for the kids (college for one in a couple of months). While $8 isn't too much to swallow, I expect that I will be up to a full license in savings by the time I'm done. Thank you for making this an easy sell to the wife.

Another thing: Consider some use cases in text. Not all of us like the video tutorials (I actually avoid even the scriv tutorials). The big reasons I am purchasing have nothing to do with writing, but event analysis. Let me explain with an example. We had a series of cascading and seemingly unrelated events at work. Out of shear desperation to get the events in an easier to understand view I downloaded Aeon and created arcs for each event. After adding network devices and planned maintenance we found direct correlation to one planned activity. A roll back of that change got things working.

Not your intended use, but … who cares? I did what I needed it to do. For the kids I am hoping it will help with conceptualizing various historical timelines (a suggestion by another user here). Which brings me back to the text comment. I wouldn't have considered Aeon as a study aid had I not read the idea. Keep us curmudgeons in mind when building the site content.

:)
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ma
matt

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:09 pm Post

Hi Jaysen,
Thanks for the purchase.

I definitely want to build up Use Cases etc. in the manual and online, and definitely want to find examples of how Aeon has been used for lots of different purposes.

I have had several people email me with different uses, including some PhD candidates and historians.

I certainly think trying to sell into schools, or at least for school work, might be something to pursue.

Matt

Jaysen

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:20 pm Post

matt wrote:Hi Jaysen,
Thanks for the purchase.

I certainly think trying to sell into schools, or at least for school work, might be something to pursue.

Matt

You're welcome.

If you want to target the school market here in the US (which isn't a bad idea) I make some suggestions that might be best made over private channels. You mentioned a windows version, and that would be one option, although one that I personally would avoid (all Mac for me).

You've got a great thing here. I really look forward to seeing how it comes along.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09