Some Feature Requests for Scrivener Synchronization

ma
markus1105
Platform: Mac

Tue May 29, 2012 5:44 am Post

Hi Matt,
I have some suggestions for features around Scrivener synchronization. I hope these haven't been discussed elsewhere yet, at least I haven't found them:

(1) Ability to select in sync preferences in Aeon Timeline if you want to synchronize the Aeon Notes of an event with the Synopsis field of a Scrivener document. This would be marvellous, since it gives you the ability to work on your whole story outline directly in Aeon Timeline.

(2) Ability to sync not only events but also entities. Many authors will have character sheets in Scrivener, with a number of notes about the characters. If both features (1) and (2) would be available, users could also edit character descriptions directly in Aeon Timeline. Ideally, feature (2) would also have the dates of birth and death (start and end date of the entity) to the custom meta-data.

(3) The time format "2010-10-01 19:00:00 AD" ist great for synching with Scrivener, because it gives you to opportunity to sort events chronologically in Scrivener. The only thing that is missing is the information about the weekday. It would help a lot if the weekday could be either appended, e.g. 2010-10-01 19:00:00 AD (Tue) or - if this is not a valid date format for the software - written in an additional custom meta-data field. Sometimes it is important to know on which day of a week a certain event happens, but if you use a date format where the date starts with the weekday, the sorting in Scrivener doesn't work anymore.

I'm looking forward to your feedback on these ideas.

Thanks,
Markus

ma
matt

Tue May 29, 2012 12:36 pm Post

Hi Markus,

1) Yes, I agree this would be useful, but I am just concerned about the ability to override data. By keeping most of the syncing linked with custom fields, it means that Aeon is free to modify those areas without risking overwriting an important change. If we start syncing with Document Notes or the Inspector, then there may be problems trying to synchronise those fields when both have been updated at once.

So it can probably be done, I just need to be careful about how it is handled.

2) Again, the big risk here is that this implies modifying the actual content of a Scrivener document, with the same set of risks as those listed above. Also, I expect each person would format their character sheets differently, so I am not sure how we would know which parts should be updated with particular information.

That said, again, I agree getting character/entity information to sync would be a good thing. We just need to find a safe, non-destructive model, that meets people's needs without being too complicated to use, or to develop.

3) Good suggestion, I will look into adding that into the date field for the first update after we go live.

Matt

ma
markus1105
Platform: Mac

Tue May 29, 2012 1:20 pm Post

Hi Matt,

Yes, I can imagine that there are some challenges around the sync and the danger of overriding Scrivener data when it is not intended by the user.

Maybe one solution would be that you let the user choose in the preferences panel which field in Aeon Timeline should sync with which field (e.g., Synopsis, Document Notes, Custom Meta-Data field xyz, main document text (losing rich-text formatting) etc.) in Scrivener, then everyone could build the environment according to her/his way of working. But I suppose this is quite a big effort to implement.

And as for protection of data loss: Maybe you could somehow trigger Scrivener to make a snapshop of each document before synching? Scrivener users can choose this option for the sync with an external folder. But I am not sure if the snapshots in Scrivener also include meta-data and not only the main text.

Markus