Aeon Timeline Version 0.9 (Final Beta)

Spitfire31
Platform: Mac

Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:51 am Post

matt wrote:
shorn wrote:2) The entry dialog for an event now shows the start and end dates, which is usually great, but... say I want to add a one-day event on May 15. I double-click on the grid to open a new entry box but of course my click is unlikely to be exactly on May 15. If I clicked before May 15, say May 10, I can change the day of the event date to 15, click OK, and an event is created with the start date May 15 and the end date automatically adjusted to May 15. If, however I clicked after May 15, say May 20, I have to remember to change both the start and end dates to 15, otherwise I quite logically get a 5-day event. I am not sure if there is anything to be done here, I just find it hard to remember to change both dates.

Hmm, this is a tricky one. Perhaps if you edit the start date and haven't touched the end date yet, it should shift the end date to match the start date? But as soon as you edit the end date, it no longer auto-updates?

Matt

This solution would be a great help, I think.

/Joachim

Ur
Ursula

Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:17 am Post

matt wrote:
Ursula wrote:The format is there in the Timeline preferences, but not in the Sync settings.

The problem is, that format does not include time, which I need right now.

I don't mind if I have a date with time 00:00:00 added. I only care at the right succession of YYYY:MM:DD. If they are not in same order in Scrivener and Aeon, I fear a total mess when syncing.

ma
matt

Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:35 am Post

Ursula wrote:
matt wrote:
Ursula wrote:The format is there in the Timeline preferences, but not in the Sync settings.

The problem is, that format does not include time, which I need right now.

I don't mind if I have a date with time 00:00:00 added. I only care at the right succession of YYYY:MM:DD. If they are not in same order in Scrivener and Aeon, I fear a total mess when syncing.

You know, I'm 99% sure I meant to have year-month-day for that last one. I don't know anyone who would use year-day-month - it makes no sense!

I will add it in for you.

Ur
Ursula

Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:48 am Post

matt wrote:I will add it in for you.

Thank you!

shorn

Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:28 pm Post

Hi Matt,
Hmm, this is a tricky one. Perhaps if you edit the start date and haven't touched the end date yet, it should shift the end date to match the start date? But as soon as you edit the end date, it no longer auto-updates?
This sounds like it would work fine.

Don't worry too much about the text indicator dot for now.

Thanks for the info on reordering arcs and entities, and default label.

Aeon has become invaluable by the way,
Simon

ae
aenlaasu

Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:06 pm Post

This is a niggling little thing, but it does frustrate me.

I am unable to change the 'height' of the Aeon window. Grabbing the corner allows me to change the width, but not move the bottom up. Much of the bottom navigation bar is hidden behind my Application buttons. Am I missing some setting that has locked the window?

BTW, I love the new interface! Except for not being able to view the bottom clearly. :lol:

Thanks for a wonderful software!

Terii

NM! I moved my applications to the side. All is good now. :D

ma
matt

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:01 pm Post

aenlaasu wrote:This is a niggling little thing, but it does frustrate me.

I am unable to change the 'height' of the Aeon window. Grabbing the corner allows me to change the width, but not move the bottom up. Much of the bottom navigation bar is hidden behind my Application buttons. Am I missing some setting that has locked the window?

BTW, I love the new interface! Except for not being able to view the bottom clearly. :lol:

Terii

Thanks for the kind comments.

Are you using a small screen? One of the smaller MacBook Airs for instance?

There is a size constraint on the window, but I didn't realise it was so close to full screen size on those smaller screens (I use a big external monitor or a 15 inch laptop).

I will adjust the window constraints to be more flexible.

Matt

PS - By the way... I always work with the Dock at the side too. I always find I want more vertical room (eg. If writing anything in Scriv or Pages, or reading On the web) because "portrait" orientation is the norm for text.

Spitfire31

Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:30 pm Post

matt wrote: I always work with the Dock at the side too. I always find I want more vertical room (eg. If writing anything in Scriv or Pages, or reading On the web) because "portrait" orientation is the norm for text.

I have the dock at the bottom of the screen but spring loaded so it's always out of the way unless I go there on purpose (I have so many apps in there that it would be impractical to have it on the side).

But I have a DragThing process drawer (wonderful application!) on the right side, so that I can access only the running apps without having to search through the Dock mess… ;-)

Can't praise DragThing too highly – it's a worthy successor to DropDrawers.

/Joachim

xiamenese

Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:27 am Post

To go slightly off-topic, as I have not yet been able to a find a function for which I can benefit from Aeon …

I realised a long time ago that you can drag your application folder to the dock below/to the right of the bar and use the options to set it to always come up as a list. So I run a totally minimalist desktop, with the dock out of the way, hiding on the right, and with the icon size slightly above the smallest:

No hard drive icon — the drive is just as easily accessible with Cmd-N in the Finder, or if you click the Finder icon at the top of the dock; DVDs, mounted externals, etc. do show their icon temporarily on the desktop while mounted.
      Only the four or five apps I access regularly in the dock — currently iTunes, Keynote, Amadeus Pro, Nisus Writer Pro and Scrivener; everything else is accessible through the Application folder icon in the dock, listed in alphabetical order.
      Below the bar, four folders— Applications, Documents, Downloads and Shared; I hardly use the latter so I'll probably remove it, and I don't use the Documents folder in the dock as much as I expected.

The result is that any other apps I run, Mail, browser, whatever, are easily found, and any files that I put on the desktop for easy access at that moment get moved into their appropriate folder within Documents at the first opportunity.

I have four spaces always running in Lion, with key apps set to open on a given space, and each space has a different desktop image, making it easy to know which is the current one.

So this is my current desktop in my browser space.

:-)
    [Edited once for correction]

Screen Shot 2011-12-16 at 09.18.33.png
    Space 2 desktop
    Screen Shot 2011-12-16 at 09.18.33.png (977.81 KiB) Viewed 1478 times
    The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
    iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.7, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
    MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
    2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
    Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Spitfire31

Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:03 am Post

xiamenese wrote:So this is my current desktop in my browser space.

Very 风水!

Thank you for the hints. Food for thought.

/Joachim

xiamenese

Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:25 am Post

Spitfire31 wrote:
    xiamenese wrote:So this is my current desktop in my browser space.

Very 风水!

:D

Foxton Beach in New Zealand, North Island; black sand because it's volcanic — Mt Ruapehu, active volcano is off to the left — white spots are seashells; Wellington is over the hills in the background.

Spitfire31 wrote:Thank you for the hints. Food for thought.

/Joachim
    The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
    iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.7, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
    MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
    2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
    Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

ae
    aenlaasu

Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:24 am Post

matt wrote:
    aenlaasu wrote:This is a niggling little thing, but it does frustrate me.

Terii

Thanks for the kind comments.

Are you using a small screen? One of the smaller MacBook Airs for instance?

There is a size constraint on the window, but I didn't realise it was so close to full screen size on those smaller screens (I use a big external monitor or a 15 inch laptop).

I will adjust the window constraints to be more flexible.

Matt

PS - By the way... I always work with the Dock at the side too. I always find I want more vertical room (eg. If writing anything in Scriv or Pages, or reading On the web) because "portrait" orientation is the norm for text.

I am using a MacBook Air - 13". About half of the bottom navigation bar on Aeon was hidden by the application buttons with them at a 'comfortable' size' for use. I agree with the desire for more vertical space when writing or the like, so I'm not sure why I hadn't moved the buttons long ago. :roll:

Spitfire31

Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:07 am Post

aenlaasu wrote:I am using a MacBook Air - 13". About half of the bottom navigation bar on Aeon was hidden by the application buttons with them at a 'comfortable' size' for use. I agree with the desire for more vertical space when writing or the like, so I'm not sure why I hadn't moved the buttons long ago. :roll:

I'm a bit confused by this issue which is really a pseudo problem.

Why don't you just make the dock 'spring loaded', so that it's out of the way unless you move the cursor to the screen edge where the dock is, er… docked?

System preferences/Dock, bottom check box: "Automatically hide and show the Dock"

Then you have the entire screen all to yourself, instead of permanently cluttering it up with launch buttons.

HTH,

Joachim

Er
    EricL

Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:58 pm Post

I am looking at Aeon Timeline again and i am happy that events can now be locked. However, i think the locked status should be the default when creating a new event. Or at least i want that option when i create a new timeline. The risk of accidentally changing an event date is rather real. I want to work with (a lot of) historical data and it is a nuisance having to lock every event manually.

Another thing i would want, is control of the appearance. Not just color, but font, size, shape, in fact the looks of the entire timeline. Very important also is the possibility to adjust the vertical position of the events, for instance when they fall on the same date. I want the option to highlight certain events. In short, i desire a lot more flexibility.

I am now working with Timeflyer, and it would be great if i could IMPORT the Timeflyer data into Aeon Timeline. Now i have to copy and paste every event :-(

Apart from these remarks, i think Aeon looks really promising and cool.
    Eric

ma
    matt

Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:02 pm Post

EricL wrote:I am looking at Aeon Timeline again and i am happy that events can now be locked. However, i think the locked status should be the default when creating a new event. Or at least i want that option when i create a new timeline. The risk of accidentally changing an event date is rather real. I want to work with (a lot of) historical data and it is a nuisance having to lock every event manually.

You can lock events together via Cmd-A (select all) followed by Cmd-L (lock selected). That may improve your workflow a little.

Another thing i would want, is control of the appearance. Not just color, but font, size, shape, in fact the looks of the entire timeline. Very important also is the possibility to adjust the vertical position of the events, for instance when they fall on the same date. I want the option to highlight certain events. In short, i desire a lot more flexibility.

I will look to add some ability to change font etc. post-1.0. Someone else suggested in another thread making event size tied to an "importance" level, which is another thing I am looking at post-1.0. I am not sure that adding font and size settings separately for every event would be a good idea though, if that is what you are suggesting.

User-control of the vertical space would be tricky, because there are lots of calculations that go into placing those events, and they change based on zoom levels etc. Which cause other events to flow into their area and bump them down.

However, I do agree that this is an area that could do with some improvement generally, as the events don't always flow cleanly. Finding the balance between flexibility and forcing the user into too many decisions is difficult.

Have you tried using Filters to narrow down your events? You could give important event tags, and then filter based on that tag, eliminating all other events from the screen and giving the important ones more space, for instance. May or may not help in your case, just exploring ideas.

I am now working with Timeflyer, and it would be great if i could IMPORT the Timeflyer data into Aeon Timeline. Now i have to copy and paste every event :-(

Does Time Flyer do a text export at all? I will add a CSV importer at some stage, which will hopefully allow data from lots of apps. But I don't think I would write a specific importer for TimeFlyer.

Matt