Windows Timeline for Alibis?

FranOnTheEdge
Platform: Windows

Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:52 pm Post

I have read a lot of the posts in here, interesting stuff.

I don't understand all I've read because I don't have a mac and thus can't try out the beta software.

I did see that the Windows version is not likely to be available to try any time soon.

However I wanted to ask if this timeline software would enable me to see at a glance (say in a graph?) the events of my novel, and the alibis given by my characters?

I would like to be able to do this as it would help me tremendously in seeing where I need to tighten things up - or allow for a late witness to arrive and clear a suspect, etc etc.
I have 1 novel completed but not thoroughly polished yet, and it's these alibis/events synchronisation which is giving me brain fever - software to lay it all out and look at the results easily would be a great boon. (My dining table being just not big enough.)

Would you say that Aeon is what I've been looking for?
If yes, is there any news yet on when a beta of the windows version will be available? (I understand if there isn't, I'm just hopeful.)
FranOnTheEdge

ma
matt

Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:29 am Post

Hi,
Yes, I do think Aeon is probably the software you are looking for.

Aside from being able to log everyone's true location at the time of the crime, you can also set up separate "arcs" representing the alibis as they are told (i.e. an alternate version of reality) - which would help you in plotting how the detectives would spot the holes in the alibi etc.

Unfortunately, at this point, you can only do that with a Mac.

Regarding the Windows version - I do plan to work on it, but it will be after the first official release of the Mac version. I hope to get a proper release done early next year, and work on a Windows version would begin after that if the Mac version does well enough that I can justify the extra work.

That means a first beta would probably not be available until at least mid-2012.

Regards,
Matt

Spitfire31

Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:09 pm Post

FranOnTheEdge wrote:I don't have a mac and thus can't try out the beta software.

What you should probably be looking for is a MacBook Air! :wink:

/Joachim

Ow
OwenRawlings
Platform: Mac

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:39 pm Post

Hi FranOnTheEdge

However I wanted to ask if this timeline software would enable me to see at a glance (say in a graph?) the events of my novel, and the alibis given by my characters?

I would like to be able to do this as it would help me tremendously in seeing where I need to tighten things up - or allow for a late witness to arrive and clear a suspect, etc etc.
I have 1 novel completed but not thoroughly polished yet, and it's these alibis/events synchronisation which is giving me brain fever - software to lay it all out and look at the results easily would be a great boon. (My dining table being just not big enough.)

I'm really new to AeonTimeline myself; I discovered it less than three months ago. But I've been using it for a crime fiction novel (for a whole series covering 25 years in fact) and I can confirm it is ideal for keeping track of these things. It would be a doddle to create separate timelines of what actually happened and what people claim they did. The tags system would help you connect together different aspects of it as well. Matt is spot on in his claims that the separate 'arcs' system would do this for you.

Owen
Owen Rawlings, Ashopton, Nr Sheffield, Derbyshire