Questions and/or Wishlist

shorn
Platform: Mac

Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:45 pm Post

Hi,

A couple of questions, and if the answers are no, items for the wish list:

Is there any way to save a subset of events into a new Aeon file or, what comes to the same thing, export a subset of events to Aeon format?

Is it possible to filter by a range date, e.g., display only January 1, 1924 through December 31, 1931?

Thanks,
Simon

ma
matt

Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:10 pm Post

1) I just added event copy & paste to my in-development version today, so the ability to copy events between timelines is coming soon. If you need it earlier, drop me an email (support AT scribblecode DOT com) and I could send you the latest alpha.

As a workaround for now, if it is into a new file, the other way is to copy the file to create a new timeline file, and then delete everything you don't want.

2) there is no way to filter by a particular date range currently, unless you give the events inside that date range the same tag or label and filter based on that.

Why do you wish to filter based on a date range? What is the use case? Is there a reason why zooming in a little and simply not scrolling past that date range would not work?

That may affect exactly how something like this would be implemented.

Matt

shorn
Platform: Mac

Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:02 pm Post

Hi Matt,

I used your suggested workaround already so i don't need the alpha, but is good to know that copy and paste is coming. (I was thinking that the way Scrivener lets you drag binder items from one file to another is very handy.)

Why do you wish to filter based on a date range? What is the use case? Is there a reason why zooming in a little and simply not scrolling past that date range would not work?

That's a good question. I just tried your quite logical suggestion, and of course it works.

I did actually tag a series of events with a date range, but in fact I did not tag all the events within that date range. I guess I am doing two things at once: isolating certain types of event within a given date range. So of course if I identified the events I want to isolate with a given arc, label or tag and then adjusted the zoom, I would get what I need.

It would be handy, though, if one could save a certain window configuration — filter settings plus zoom setting — so that you could easily pull up a specific saved view. A bit like Scrivener's Layouts feature.

Also, the ability to tag multiple items, the way you can apply a label to multiple items, would be useful.

One last unrelated suggestion that I thought about this morning: a visual indicator that an event has a note, without having to select it, would be nice.

Thanks for your quick response.

Cheers,
Simon

Spitfire31

Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:11 pm Post

shorn wrote: a visual indicator that an event has a note, without having to select it, would be nice.

I'd like to sign this particular petition as well. Just a small dot or something would probably be enough.

/Joachim

ma
matt

Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:34 pm Post

shorn wrote:It would be handy, though, if one could save a certain window configuration — filter settings plus zoom setting — so that you could easily pull up a specific saved view. A bit like Scrivener's Layouts feature.

I'll have a think about that one and see if there is a way I can make that work easily.

shorn wrote:Also, the ability to tag multiple items, the way you can apply a label to multiple items, would be useful.

This is already on the to-do list, just trying to work out a sensible way to do it.

shorn wrote:One last unrelated suggestion that I thought about this morning: a visual indicator that an event has a note, without having to select it, would be nice.

Just added to the list.