User-defined fields for entities, events and arcs...

Ra
Rayz
Platform: Mac

Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:32 am Post

... would be very nice.

:)
As if I didn't talk enough: Dom on Writing

ma
matt

Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:18 am Post

User-defined, in the sense of adding as many custom named fields as you like, that just take text values?

Or would you want to have different data types - eg. text, numeric, dates, etc?

Matt

Ra
Rayz

Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:10 pm Post

matt wrote:User-defined, in the sense of adding as many custom named fields as you like, that just take text values?

Or would you want to have different data types - eg. text, numeric, dates, etc?

Matt

I think custom named text fields would do fine. Would be nice if the fields could hold a pageful of text though.

:-)

ma
matt

Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:41 am Post

Rayz wrote:I think custom named text fields would do fine. Would be nice if the fields could hold a pageful of text though.

Hmm... what user interface element would you suggest then?

I was thinking something like a table, but if you are talking about that much data, you really need a big notes section or something like that.

Isn't that what the notes are for? Long, free-form text?

Ra
Rayz

Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:37 pm Post

matt wrote:
Rayz wrote:I think custom named text fields would do fine. Would be nice if the fields could hold a pageful of text though.

Hmm... what user interface element would you suggest then?

I was thinking something like a table, but if you are talking about that much data, you really need a big notes section or something like that.

Isn't that what the notes are for? Long, free-form text?

You're right. I'm thinking all that's needed is a way to set up titles in a big notes field.So if I set up something like this:

name

They get put on a notes field, and then I can just fill in the gaps between them. Just leave about five lines between each one. It would be great if they could not be erased from the notes field by accident but I'm not sure that's doable.

ma
matt

Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:41 pm Post

Rayz wrote:You're right. I'm thinking all that's needed is a way to set up titles in a big notes field.So if I set up something like this:

name

They get put on a notes field, and then I can just fill in the gaps between them. Just leave about five lines between each one. It would be great if they could not be erased from the notes field by accident but I'm not sure that's doable.

I guess there are two different options then...

One would be to actually allow different notes sections entirely, which you would access with a drop down list at the top of the notes... so you would have "General notes", then any other category you create... "Scrivener notes" could potentially be created automatically on sync.

But that sounds like overkill if all you want is 'height" as a category.

The alternative is to leave Notes as-is, and I could add an option in settings to create a "Notes template" that gets copied automatically with each new event/entity, so you at least have your starting point. Everything from there would be editable though, so you would be able to delete headings, etc.

The problem with doing it with headings etc. though is that those boxes don't allow Rich Text, and Rich Text does not play particularly nicely with the XML file format, so I am avoiding doing that as much as possible.

Thoughts?

Matt

Ra
Rayz

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:18 pm Post

matt wrote:
Rayz wrote:You're right. I'm thinking all that's needed is a way to set up titles in a big notes field.So if I set up something like this:

name

I guess there are two different options then...

One would be to actually allow different notes sections entirely, which you would access with a drop down list at the top of the notes... so you would have "General notes", then any other category you create... "Scrivener notes" could potentially be created automatically on sync.

But that sounds like overkill if all you want is 'height" as a category.

The alternative is to leave Notes as-is, and I could add an option in settings to create a "Notes template" that gets copied automatically with each new event/entity, so you at least have your starting point. Everything from there would be editable though, so you would be able to delete headings, etc.

The problem with doing it with headings etc. though is that those boxes don't allow Rich Text, and Rich Text does not play particularly nicely with the XML file format, so I am avoiding doing that as much as possible.

Thoughts?

Matt

Sorry about the delay between replies; I've been mulling it over.

Okay, I really like the sound of number 1.

In my head, I'm thinking of a two pane panel.

Panel 1: List of all the templates (template one could be 'character sheet').
Panel 2: The fields on the selected template.

You can attach templates to an entity by dragging it to the entity's 'sheet list'. Click on a sheet and the drop down below is populated with fields that you can select and fill in from the note editor below it. This way you can have multiple templates attached to a single entity.

It would be nice to see a whole filled in sheet on a single page so you can look at it in context and print it out. You wouldn't be able to edit it from here though; any changes would have to be done in the sheet editor.

Ra
Rayz

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:27 pm Post

Okay, why would you need multiple templates for an entity?

I think it would allow the writer to organize stuff into a kind of hierarchy. For example, we could have a number of templates for a main character:

Details:
Name
Weight

Education:
School
University

Job:
Date started
Date Ended
Place of work
Details

Job:
Date started (could point to an event)
Date ended (Could point to an event)
Place of work
Details

Wife:
Ponter to another entity

Wife:
Pointer to another entity

Does that make sense?

Ra
Rayz

Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:36 am Post

Right, that is a terrible idea. No one wants to click a drop down to each individual field like that. It would take far too long.

I think you're right: just create your own note categories which you can add titles to. Select the category from a drop-down and just fill in text around the titles.