Import Timeline from Scrivener

iv
ivanpope

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:04 pm Post

Hi,
I'm wondering if anybody has produced a simple guide to importing into Timeline from Scrivener.
I just tried importing a Scrivener project. All folders and files were imported successfully, but in a somewhat strange order. Every doc from Scrivener is now listed as occuring on the same day, but they are not really in an order that I can recognise.
It has imported bibliographic listings which were in the Research folder. I would have thought that anything in the Research folder should be ignored by default?
What I'm after is a short guide to what data Timeline uses to add entities and how I can manage this process.

ma
matt

Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:18 am Post

Hi there,
One of the tasks remaining before an official release is to improve the synchronization further, and clean up some of the areas where it is not doing everything it should.

Currently, when you first synchronize to a new timeline (effectively an import), it allows you to select which files to import. By default, this looks at everything except what is in the trash.

I will add an option to make it look in just the Draft folder.

The reason the imported events are all together at the start of the timeline is because none of them have dates allocated to them yet. You can move them to new dates by dragging them within your timeline, or after the first sync, you can manually edit the added AEON_DATE field in Scrivener meta-data and sync again.

I'm not sure there is really any other sensible default to use, as the events coming out of the draft may not be in chronological order, and some documents may be 10 minutes apart, and others years apart.

As I said, it is a work in progress for now, and I will tidy it up and make it more manageable soon - at the very least, I need to find a way to make the sync table better reflect the binder.

Matt