Aeon Timeline 0.8 - Finally, a proper interface

nb
nbfilms
Platform: Mac

Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:56 am Post

Damn, that is sexy!

You even have some dark linen in there (your GUI guy rocks!)
Can't wait to transfer over my files and start playing with it.

Much thanks for your hard work!

Ra
Rayz

Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:41 am Post

Looking good! :-D

This is such an improvement! I would like to see more colour options for the entities though.

And a small bug I'd like to report:

If you delete an entity, it still shows up in the Manage Arcs... list.
As if I didn't talk enough: Dom on Writing

ma
matt

Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:25 am Post

Rayz wrote:Looking good! :-D

This is such an improvement! I would like to see more colour options for the entities though.

I assume you mean the Manage Entities list?

Re: colour options. It is probably not the quantity, just the fact that a lot of the lighter ones are impractical in the current design. I will review them at some point to try to get a larger set of colours that can actually be used.

Basically, I just hate Apple's colour picker and want to avoid using it!

Matt

Ra
Rayz

Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:45 am Post

matt wrote:
Rayz wrote:Looking good! :-D

I assume you mean the Manage Entities list?

Re: colour options. It is probably not the quantity, just the fact that a lot of the lighter ones are impractical in the current design. I will review them at some point to try to get a larger set of colours that can actually be used.

Basically, I just hate Apple's colour picker and want to avoid using it!

Matt

Yes, I did mean the Manage Entities List. :)

Not sure why you don't like the Apple colour picker, but fair enough. A slightly larger range of colours would be handy though. The current ones all seem a little bit murky to me.

Are you aiming for the app store?
As if I didn't talk enough: Dom on Writing

ma
matt

Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:43 am Post

Rayz wrote:Not sure why you don't like the Apple colour picker, but fair enough. A slightly larger range of colours would be handy though. The current ones all seem a little bit murky to me.

Are you aiming for the app store?

It floats around and generally gets in the way. Plus I find it painful to use, compared with just pointing at a colour and clicking, and having the window disappear.

Yes, I am aiming for the App Store, if they let me in ;-)

Matt

va
vanessago
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:08 pm Post

Message: I'm excited about the new Aeon Timeline. I've just installed version 0.8.2 and am working with the synchronize to Scrivener. I backed up my Scrivener project, then closed it and asked Aeon Timeline to synchronize to it.

I quickly realized that I had chaos on my hands because I had many scenes, characters, research notes, etc, and they seemed to be appearing in no particular order. I decided it might help if I went to Scrivener and numbered the actual scenes so that I could tell them from the other items (I don't use "Chapter 1, 2, 3" etc in Scrivener when I'm working in draft, but name my scenes so I know what's happening in them.)

SUGGESTION: I can't figure out the order that the scenes are appearing in - it's not alphabetical and it's not the order they are in the binder. With over 80 scenes in my project's manuscript folder, plus many files and folders in my research and character folders, it's impossible for me to make sense of the resulting synchronize screen in Aeon. A couple of possibilities: 1) Allow a user to choose a folder in the Scrivener Binder to synchronize to, 2) have a sorting option (i.e. binder order, alphabetic, numerical)

I experienced a bit of a bug after this, although it seems to be working now. i include the remainder in case it's useful to know:

I saved and Closed Aeon, then opened Scrivener and auto numbered the first few scenes in Scrivener, hoping that would work as putting hard numbers in meant I would then have to renumber if I changed things around. I then saved and closed the scrivener file, and started Aeon again. However, I couldn't open the Aeon file. When I chose to open the latest file, nothing happened. I chose Open, and navigated to my file (which is called TTT.aeonxml) and selected "Open" Aeon appeared to lock up. The Open window was sitting there with the "Open" button highlighted. Nothing happened. I couldn't click "Cancel" and clicking "Open" again gave no result.

I finally forced the app to close (option-shift-command-exc) and then was able to open the file.

Good luck with the program. I love the fact that Scrivener integration has come, and hope it will work out :).

va
vanessago
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:31 pm Post

I just had a crash of Aeon timeline after doing more work on the synchronized Scrivener-Aeon project referred to in the previous post. I've submitted the log of the crash details through the Aeon Timeline crash reporter.

Events:
1. I closed Aeon timeline file TTT, and closed Aeon timeline
2. Opened Scrivener and edited date/time of several scenes
3. Saved, backed up, and closed Scrivener
4. Opened Aeon timeline and opened file TTT
5. Accessed Synchronize screen and was pleased to see all the scenes I'd edited scene on as needing update. Clicked continue

Aeon crashed. You should have the crash report from your reporter, but if not, contact me.

Thanks
Vanessa

ma
matt

Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:47 am Post

vanessago wrote:I quickly realized that I had chaos on my hands because I had many scenes, characters, research notes, etc, and they seemed to be appearing in no particular order. I decided it might help if I went to Scrivener and numbered the actual scenes so that I could tell them from the other items (I don't use "Chapter 1, 2, 3" etc in Scrivener when I'm working in draft, but name my scenes so I know what's happening in them.)

Yes, it does appear a little random. It is actually sorted by document IDs, which is an internal ID Scrivener keeps for all its documents. Effectively, it is sorted by the order the files were created, with the most recent first.

Not very logical, or helpful, I know.

I am still not sure what the best way to structure it is though. Ideally, when working with Scrivener, it would have that Binder structure, but the table format seemed more natural for what it is trying to do.

I will have a play around with a few different options and see if I can find something that works better.

Sorting would help. Perhaps also extending the document name to include the document tree...
eg. "Draft / Chapter 1 / Scene Title"

I will take a look at the crashing problems as well.

Matt

ma
matt

Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:46 am Post

I have just released a new version that fixes the crashing bug you are seeing when synchronising, and also fixes bugs that prevented tags from working properly.

The tags bug may have led to some files losing their original tag information. If you need to recover it, you will need to open the saved original file with the .aeon extension (not the .aeonxml file), and re-upgrade it to the new XML format. Apologies for this.

I will look into improving the aspects of synchronisation suggested above as part of another update, but I wanted to get the bug fixes released first.

Thanks,
Matt

ma
matt

Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:13 pm Post

I have uploaded yet another update, version 0.8.4. This fixes another couple of bugs - one related to blank image exports, another that prevents a crash and some rare files that could not open.

I hope this will be the last point release before I can move on to implementing the last of the new features and code cleanups before the official release.

But I will continue to fix bugs and upload releases as I go wherever they are important.

Matt

Spitfire31

Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:02 pm Post

Matt,

I haven't had time to really come to grips with the 0.8x generation of Aeon Timeline yet, but generally I feel that you've hit the bull's eye with the new GUI and functionality.

I think that AeTL is going to become one of those unique and indispensable programs for writers and planners.

An item on my wish list:

It would be nice if AeTL would automatically open the latest file(s) at launch, like Scrivener and Nisus WP – of course with an option for either a New File or none.

Best,

Joachim

ma
matt

Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:41 pm Post

Spitfire31 wrote:Matt,

I haven't had time to really come to grips with the 0.8x generation of Aeon Timeline yet, but generally I feel that you've hit the bull's eye with the new GUI and functionality.

I think that AeTL is going to become one of those unique and indispensable programs for writers and planners.

An item on my wish list:

It would be nice if AeTL would automatically open the latest file(s) at launch, like Scrivener and Nisus WP – of course with an option for either a New File or none.

Best,

Joachim

thanks for the compliment. I did add some code to open the last used file, then Lion added it in a different way as the default for every application, so I took it out.

So it works in Lion... I just need to update the other two to match.

Matt

Kh
Khadrelt

Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:02 pm Post

This is shaping up to be a really great program. I'm totally ready to toss my other timeline programs!
And that, my Liege, is how we know the earth to be banana-shaped.

we
weepingminotaur

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:09 pm Post

A very sincere thanks to you for putting this piece of software out. I'm currently plotting a murder mystery for an RPG I'm running with friends, and Aeon Timeline is proving to be very handy. The interface is also much improved in the latest version.

A few feature requests:

- Tag entities (currently you can only tag events)
- The ability to set custom attendance tags, beyond just the standard four (participant, observer, create, destroy)
- A sortable view for entities, where you can filter by tags and other criteria
- Organizations as a type of entity container that can encompass other entities (right now, it's kind of pointless to define an organization as an entity, when you can't actually 'add' people to that entity)
- More display options (font sizes, particularly)
- Select multiple entities at once
- Sort options for synching with Scrivener, including the ability to synchronize only one binder of a Scriv project

Thank you again for creating this software. I look forward to seeing its evolution! :)

de
derrickherbert

Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:23 pm Post

I have to say this is really looking the business now!

Very swish :D

The one thing I would suggest though is that there definitely needs to be a greater degree of zoom particularly on the plus side. If there are a lot of events grouped closely together it would be nice to be able to zoom in so they are not all scrunched up together.

Also, I've noticed that if you click the Plus Zoom icon in the toolbar the entire timeline jumps back to the middle of the page rather than staying in the area you were trying to focus on.

Great work!

Derrick