Aeon Timeline 0.8 - Finally, a proper interface

ma
matt

Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:22 pm Post

[EDIT: Version 0.8.2 released]
[EDIT: Version 0.8.1 released]

A couple of months ago I got an email from a user interface designer who liked Aeon Timeline, and offered his services to "take the existing application towards a slicker and more current design".

Apparently, what this meant was he would apply his user interface design experience to completely re-design the interface, send me mockup after mockup of ways to improve the look and feel of the timeline, re-design the logo to be a little more dock-friendly, and create all of the toolbar icons for me.

The end result is a vastly more attractive and user-friendly experience, and has left me embarrassed about the application that everyone else has been forced to use for the last two months while I put this finishing touches on this release.

Finally, Aeon Timeline version 0.8 is released, and I can relax (The User Manual is finally updated also).

You can download the latest version from here: http://aeontimeline.wordpress.com/latest-version/

WARNING: Version 0.8 has not been tested on PPC. It should be compatible, but please let me know if there are any issues.

Here is a summary of changes for this version:

Unified User Interface
[ul]
[*]The old Entity/Story Arc Views are no more. They have been combined into a single unified interface
[*]New toolbar toggles allow the user to turn on or off relationships (replacing Entity View) and group by arcs (replacing Story Arc View)
[*]Inspector is now available for Entities as well as Events
[*]Improved graphical layout and design makes the application much more attractive and user-friendly
[*]Context Bar made to look prettier.
[*]Many usability additions, such as right-click menus to bulk change labels, double click to edit entity/event names in place, etc.
[*]Updated toolbar with new custom-made toolbar icons
[*]Gesture support, etc.
[/ul]

Updated Event Filtering
[ul]
[*]Filter Bar can now be hidden or shown with a toolbar option.
[*]Filter Bar neater and easier to use, and provides more filtering options
[*]Ability to save and load filters to make it easier to quickly switch between different groups of events
[/ul]

Scrivener Synchronization
Added ability to sync Aeon Timeline documents with Scrivener projects (see User Manual for details)

New XML File Format
Switched to an XML file format to assist with future compatibility with other platforms (we may create a Windows or iPad version in future)

Lion support
Added support for new Lion features such as Auto-Save, Versions, and Full Screen

Plus many bug fixes, and many more user interface improvements than could be listed here.

Before downloading the beta, please read the Introduction and Beta/Forum Rules.

Please post all general bug reports found in this beta as a reply to this thread. Wish list items and discussion of other pending features belong in their own threads.

If the application crashes, please include the crash log and output from the Console in your bug report.

igregor
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:30 pm Post

Hi Matt,

I opened Aeon TL this morning, installed the update and was promptly greeted with a Problem Report for Aeon Timeline that reads "Aeon Timeline cannot be opened because of a problem. Check with the developer to make sure Aeon Timeline works with this version of Mac OS X..."

I'm running the latest version of Snow Leopard (10.6.8 ).

Help please. Thanks.
-- iGregor

ma
matt

Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:33 pm Post

Hi,
That's strange. I tested it on my Snow Leopard right before I uploaded it and it worked fine.

Are you PPC or Intel?

Matt

igregor
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:40 pm Post

Intel MacPro. I sent a copy of the trouble report via email.
-- iGregor

ma
matt

Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:44 pm Post

Thanks. I am sending you an update app to test for me. If it works, I will upload it as the new version.

Looks like it was trying to reference a library that I deleted. Mustn't have shown up on my computers because they all have it installed for development.

Matt

lu
lucadj
Platform: Mac

Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:11 pm Post

Also I have problems with the new version. When I click on the icon on the dock it jump once, but the program doesn't start.

ma
matt

Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:15 pm Post

Hi,
I am uploading a new version now that should fix the problem. I will let you know when it is ready for download.

ma
matt

Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:17 pm Post

Hi,
I have uploaded another version.

Try downloading it now from: http://aeontimeline.wordpress.com/latest-version/

Please let me know how it goes.

Matt

lu
lucadj

Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:30 pm Post

Now it works!
Very good!

ma
matt

Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:33 pm Post

Phew! Thanks!

I deleted an old library I no longer used, but there were still references to it breaking things. Didn't show up on my development machines because the library was already installed there.

Glad it is working.

Hopefully now everyone likes the update!

Matt

lu
lucadj

Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:36 pm Post

Does the new version read files created with the previous one? I can create a new file, but I'm not able to open an existent timeline.

Spitfire31

Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:57 pm Post

Unfortunately, the 0.8 beta that I just downloaded (22:30 GM+1) doesn't let me:

1) open a converted (.aeonxml) 'old' project (0.7) – it crashes immediately (crash report sent)

or

2) create a new timeline. I get the Calendar dialog, Standard is selected automatically and I hit Choose – nothing happens. Nada, rien, nichts, ingenting. The Calendar dialog just sits there.

MB Pro 2, 10.5.8.

EDIT:
I just installed Aeon 0.8 on my MB Pro Early 2011, 10.6.8. Everything seems to be working as expected in Snow Leopard in a quick test – fantastic GUI!

But apparently there are problems with Leopard.

Best,

Joachim

ma
matt

Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:02 pm Post

Hi both,
Yes it should be reading old files and converting them.

Thanks for the heads up about Leopard... I will fix it for that tonight.

If you can send through any crash logs, console messages etc. from Leopard or elsewhere where you get the problem I will be able to track it down much quicker.

Matt

ma
matt

Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:25 pm Post

lucadj wrote:Does the new version read files created with the previous one? I can create a new file, but I'm not able to open an existent timeline.

Hi,
What OS are you using?

If it is Leopard, it is probably related to the problem Joachim is having.

If it is Snow Leopard or Lion, there may be something about that particular timeline file. Does it work fine creating a timeline from scratch and saving/loading it?

If you have a specific timeline file that is a problem or won't upgrade, could you email it to support (at) scribblecode (dot) com. Then I can open it in the debugger and work out how to fix the problem as a priority.

Incidentally, if you need to, you can still download the old version from http:// release.scribblecode.com/AeonTimeline_0_6_2.dmg

Matt

Matt

bargonzo
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:04 pm Post

Matt--

This looks pretty darn good. Downloaded with no problem, opened an old timeline with no problem, and proceeded to play with it! (Running Lion, by the way.)

You mention that this will now sync to Scrivener and to check the manual, but when I go to open the manual I get the following warning:

The manual has not been updated for Aeon Timeline version 0.5. It does not cover Fantasy Dates and the new zooming.

which seems to be several versions old!

And the manual I do open (dated Sept. 2009) says nothing about Scrivener. So--either the new manual is not yet ready (no worries), or there's a bad link in the download. Just thought I'd let you know.

Congrats to you & your new UI designer.

Gary
Imagine this very elaborate scientific lie: that sound cannot travel through outer space. Well, but suppose it can.

Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow