Tester Wanted: Aeon Timeline / Lion Compatibility

ma
matt

Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:37 pm Post

Unfortunately, I need to buy a new Computer before I can install Lion (my old computer lacks the room to dual boot, and I need to keep Leopard and Snow Leopard for testing.

If someone who has quickly adopted Lion can run Aeon to ensure it appears to be loading and behaving normally, that would be greatly appreciated (and allow me a bit more time to get the upgrade).
If it doesn't work, I guess I have a trip to the Apple Store this weekend.

Obviously at this stage it does not support the new Lion-only features, but I will add them by 2.1

Matt

nb
nbfilms
Platform: Mac

Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:38 am Post

I'll throw Lion on my laptop and start playing around with it.

Update: Been testing Aeon 070 (and 062) on Lion for the past few hours. So far most everything looks great with the exception of tags. I seem to be noticing some extra tag weirdness, but I need to test it on my other (snow leopard) system and see if I can replicate it there before I deem it a Lion problem.

Good:
  • It boots great, fast, no UI weirdness (looks good in Lion!).
  • Event/Entity creation working as usual.
  • Story Arc creation and reordering as usual.
  • Filter fields all working.
  • Dragging events around w/realtime date display no problemo.
  • Changing fields in inspector no problem (with exception of tags... I'll get to that).
  • Entity View, participation marking, reordering, all good.
  • Zooming in/out on both views, pushing bottom zoom slide bar = good.
  • Deleting Events and Undo's working good.
  • Because of Lion's restore function, you need to "close" the document before quitting the program in order to get a fresh screen without the timeline reloaded. On the other hand, it's nice that the timeline pops back up.
  • Syncing to Scrivener & back working the same. Very nice!
Not so Good:
  • Tags entered in Entity Creation Panel don't stick most of the time. Trying to replace them through the Inspector for that Entity event give you a 50/50 chance of them sticking. Sometimes save/restart then Timeline Settings/Tags (and toggling between the tabs in Timeline Settings) will bring them back, but often not. Update: This is a problem in Snow Leopard as well. Note: Conversly, Add Event tagging works as expected.
  • Some other random "tags not sticking" going on (I'll try to replicate this in SL before blaming it on Lion)
  • Noticed that the sync to Scrivener panel does not retain the link to your Scrivener project file from the last sync. You have to browse for it each time you go to sync.
  • Search doesn't seem to work. Search results seem nonsensical. (works better in SL) UPDATE: imported my large, previous timeline and search works fine... will test with a fresh timeline later today to see if new timelines in Lion cause a problem with search.
So far no error messages in console. I'm going to test the tags more thoroughly, but I've got to get some shut eye. ^_^ Let me know if you have anything specific you want me to check on.

Here's a pic of the Story Arc view in Lion...

Aeon070_Lion.jpg
Aeon070_Lion.jpg (217.67 KiB) Viewed 709 times

Will update later today.

dc
dcarpenter

Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:45 pm Post

Do you by chance have any betas I could test for lion? I have a project that could really use a good bit of timelining software, and I'd be willing to put it through its paces.

D

ma
matt

Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:59 pm Post

Fire me an email to support (at) scribble code (dot) com and I will send you through the current hot-off-the-press alpha.

The entire app has just gone through a major interface overhaul, and is a couple of weeks away from being released as a beta, but it is pretty stable now and much better than the old version.

Matt