Aeon Timeline 0.6 (Significant Usability Improvements)

ma
matt
Posts: 1180
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:35 am

Sun May 08, 2011 7:19 am Post

janra wrote:Regarding the label colour bug: if I close the "additional information" on the new event form, it doesn't change the colour of the label. If the form is expanded, it does change the colour.

This is while adding events to the default label.


Hi janra,
I have been unable to reproduce this bug at all so far.

Aside from the many messages about the Tag token field (which I have removed now - thanks for pointing this out), are you getting any other error messages?

The only time I have had problems with label colours in the past was if certain system colours were selected that could not be converted to a R,G,B,Alpha version - and in those cases, there was usually some kind of error message appearing in the Console.

Is this behaviour something you are seeing only in one project, or can you easily reproduce it if you create a new timeline also?

Does it only happen with certain colours - eg. colours from the Developer list - or does it happen wherever you pick them from (colour wheel, list of simple colours like Red, Green, etc)?

If it is only occurring in your current project, it may be that the project is also storing a corrupted colour from a previous version. In that case, could you possibly send the timeline through to me at support (at) scribblecode (dot) com for me to look at?

Finally - what OS and hardware are you running on? Perhaps it is Leopard related (but not a problem in Snow Leopard)?

Sorry for all the questions, but I need to be able to reproduce the problem before I can fix it.

Thanks,
Matt

User avatar
igregor
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:57 am
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Fairfax Station, Virginia, USA

Sun May 08, 2011 12:27 pm Post

Just downloaded/installed 0.6.1. Toggling preferences between day/month (earlier version default) and month/day now produces an immediate change to dates in the inspector ONLY. NO change detected for old or new events in either Story Arc or Entity views.
-- iGregor

ma
matt
Posts: 1180
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:35 am

Sun May 08, 2011 1:48 pm Post

The intended behaviour of the settings at present is as follows:

The Day/Month vs Month/Day setting in Preferences affects:
1) The date picker controls everywhere
2) The date format used on the margin of the timelines in Story Arc and Entity Views

The date format for the events displayed in those views is affected by the Date Format value in Timeline Settings, not the option in Preferences.

Does this match the behaviour you are seeing?

Matt

Ta
Tacitus
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:33 am
Platform: Mac
Location: UK

Mon May 09, 2011 2:38 pm Post

matt wrote:[UPDATE: Version 0.6.1 now available]
http://aeontimeline.wordpress.com/latest-version/
Sorry Matt, but this is still showing as Intel only on my machine.... PMac G5 10.5.8 :(
History is a nightmare from which I am trying to escape

User avatar
igregor
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:57 am
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Fairfax Station, Virginia, USA

Tue May 10, 2011 2:40 am Post

matt wrote:The Day/Month vs Month/Day setting in Preferences affects:
1) The date picker controls everywhere
2) The date format used on the margin of the timelines in Story Arc and Entity Views

The date format for the events displayed in those views is affected by the Date Format value in Timeline Settings, not the option in Preferences.

Does this match the behaviour you are seeing?


Yes. This is exactly how it works, now. Thanks for clarifying. Raises the question, though, why date format preferences/settings are segregated into two different locations?
-- iGregor

ma
matt
Posts: 1180
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:35 am

Tue May 10, 2011 3:18 am Post

igregor wrote:
matt wrote:The Day/Month vs Month/Day setting in Preferences affects:
1) The date picker controls everywhere
2) The date format used on the margin of the timelines in Story Arc and Entity Views

The date format for the events displayed in those views is affected by the Date Format value in Timeline Settings, not the option in Preferences.

Does this match the behaviour you are seeing?


Yes. This is exactly how it works, now. Thanks for clarifying. Raises the question, though, why date format preferences/settings are segregated into two different locations?


This is not something I am entirely comfortable with either.

My thought is that Month/Day vs Day/Month is geographic, most likely a user preference that won't change (it would actually be best if I checked the localisation settings instead to get the order, which is on my eventual to-do list). But as it is a General Preference that applies everywhere, it belongs in General Preferences.

The date format displayed in the timeline strikes me as something that users might want to change on a per-project basis - in some projects, time might matter, in others, the day or even just the month might be all that is required. If it changes per-project, it belongs in Timeline Settings.

But I agree, the current setup is non-ideal, so I will look to improve it further later.

Matt

ma
matt
Posts: 1180
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:35 am

Tue May 10, 2011 3:21 am Post

Tacitus wrote:
matt wrote:[UPDATE: Version 0.6.1 now available]
http://aeontimeline.wordpress.com/latest-version/
Sorry Matt, but this is still showing as Intel only on my machine.... PMac G5 10.5.8 :(


This is strange. I will double check everything tonight, and upload another update if I find anything wrong. If you send me an email to support (at) scribblecode (dot) com, I might get you to test it out before I upload completely.

Ur
Ursula
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:52 am

Tue May 10, 2011 6:12 am Post

matt wrote:
Tacitus wrote:
matt wrote:[UPDATE: Version 0.6.1 now available]
http://aeontimeline.wordpress.com/latest-version/
Sorry Matt, but this is still showing as Intel only on my machine.... PMac G5 10.5.8 :(


Same here, iMac G5, 10.5.8.

ma
matt
Posts: 1180
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:35 am

Tue May 10, 2011 9:49 am Post

It seems that after I changed the settings back to be a Universal Binary, I let Apple run its software updates, which included an update to XCode (Apple's development tool). Apparently, in the latest update to XCode, they decided to silently modify the default to be Intel-only...

I'm guessing that doesn't bode well for PPC support in general.

Anyway, I have fixed it (again) and uploaded a new binary under the same version number.
You can download it from here: http://aeontimeline.wordpress.com/latest-version/

This one should definitely be Universal, but if there are any problems, let me know!

Thanks,
Matt

Ta
Tacitus
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:33 am
Platform: Mac
Location: UK

Tue May 10, 2011 4:16 pm Post

matt wrote:This one should definitely be Universal, but if there are any problems, let me know!
Matt

Works for me on the G5 with no probs so far. From what I've read, with the release of Lion there will be no Rosetta and PPC code will be gone.

The usability improvements are very nice :D
History is a nightmare from which I am trying to escape

User avatar
shorn
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:19 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Contact:

Wed May 11, 2011 10:56 am Post

Hi Matt,

The latest 0.6.1 is universal again for me. (I had the same problem as Tacitus, but I thought it had to be something I did wrong, and I didn't have time to figure it out.)

It all seems to be fine.

Cheers,
Simon
Image

ja
janra
Posts: 471
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:06 am
Platform: Mac
Location: Vancouver, BC

Wed May 11, 2011 11:08 am Post

matt wrote:Sorry for all the questions, but I need to be able to reproduce the problem before I can fix it.


I understand completely. Give me a while and I'll try to reproduce it in a fresh project; if I can't I'll send you the one I'm working with. I'm on a MacBook Pro, system 10.6.7. I've been picking the colours from the crayon box, btw.

User avatar
igregor
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:57 am
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Fairfax Station, Virginia, USA

Wed May 11, 2011 11:40 am Post

matt wrote:This is not something I am entirely comfortable with either...My thought is that Month/Day vs Day/Month is geographic, most likely a user preference that won't change...The date format displayed in the timeline strikes me as something that users might want to change on a per-project basis...But I agree, the current setup is non-ideal, so I will look to improve it further later. Matt


FWIW, I find worrying about general/global vs specific/local preference settings gets in the way. Most of my projects reside on Dropbox (or equivalent) and are opened in turn from any of multiple machines (not at same time, of course). Unless I go to the trouble of keeping general/global preferences across machines in synch, which is a real pain, the global preferences quickly become hosed, anyway. So, I prefer to set preferences by project, and try to keep global settings from interfering/overriding.

In any case if it's necessary to retain the local vs global distinction, then I'd prefer to see all the date format settings in the same location -- perhaps with a local/global toggle.

Thanks.
-- iGregor

ma
matt
Posts: 1180
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:35 am

Fri May 13, 2011 2:26 pm Post

Just a quick note to say I have uploaded another version, 0.6.2, which corrects one potentially serious bug, and a couple of other minor bugs.

Hopefully, unless there are any further major errors reported, this should be a fairly stable release, and there may not be another release until we hit 0.7.

Thanks,
Matt

Kh
Khadrelt
Posts: 361
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:22 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Utah, USA
Contact:

Sat May 21, 2011 5:48 pm Post

Hey, there. Great timeline, by the way. I've been trying it out, and just noticed a typo. If you're already aware, sorry, but after a quick search I didn't find anything on the forum, so I thought I'd let you know.

In the New Timeline dialog, if you push 'Edit' on a custom timeline the box that pops up says 'Custon' rather than 'Custom.'
And that, my Liege, is how we know the earth to be banana-shaped.