[UPDATE: Version 0.6.1 now available]
[UPDATE: Version 0.6.2 now available]
If you have not used Aeon Timeline for some time, or tested earlier versions and found it lacking user-friendliness, then this might be the version to test out again. I am very happy with the improvements that have been made, and I have a definite path to final release.
If you have dropped out of using and testing Aeon Timeline, please download this and give it another go. I hope you will be pleasantly surprised.
The application has been tested on Snow Leopard and Leopard, and should be reasonably stable. No testing has been done on Tiger yet and I believe there are a few compatibility issues with some third party tools I have been using, but I will be working to ensure Tiger compatibility prior to the final release.
The focus for this release has been improving the usability and navigation around the timelines, and generally improving the user interface and adding minor interface features that have been missing for some time. A summary of the changes includes:
Much Improve Navigable Context Bar
- Cleaner, more attractive appearance
- Location of surrounding events to provide greater contextual awareness
- Scroll the timeline into view in the main window by dragging it underneath the highlighted area
- Double click to jump to that location in the timeline
- Adjust the zoom level by dragging the edges of the view highlight area
New Display HUD to control visible Entities and Story Arcs
- Brand new HUD window allows the user to show, hide and re-order Story Arcs or Entities (depending on view) in a more user-friendly and convenient manner
- Bring it up using the menu, keyboard shortcut, toolbar icon, or by double clicking on the Entity or Story Arc name areas within the main view
Updated Header Bar Filtering
- Events can now be filtered based on Tag, Entity, and Story Arc (was previously just Tags)
- Allows different Boolean Logic, including Any/All and And/Or.
- (This does have a display problem when the window is too small, which I will fix in a subsequent release)
Many more much-needed interface improvements
- Full Search capabilities, include Find Next, Find Previous to move between matching events
- The date picker control can now be switched between Month/Day and Day/Month formats in Preferences (via Aeon Timeline menu)
- The ‘Reveal’ button in the Inspector now scrolls to correct Y position in Story Arc View
- ‘Go To Date’ functionality available via menus and shortcuts
- New toolbar links to Manage Entities and Manage Story Arcs
- Plus many bug fixes, and more.
Before downloading the beta, please read the Introduction and Beta/Forum Rules.
Please post all general bug reports found in this beta as a reply to this thread. Wish list items and discussion of other pending features belong in their own threads.
If the application crashes, please include the crash log and output from the Console in your bug report.