A few suggestions and a bug?

in
inpariswithyou
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:26 am Post

Hi! I've been using the program the past few weeks to create a fantasy calendar for the universe I've made for my novels. The calendar uses a 363-day year, composed of 7 months of 49 days (7 weeks). The range of relevant dates for my timeline extends, with sporadic chunks of interest, over approximately 2000 years.

First, some suggestions:

• Some way to navigate between events without having to find them on the timeline would be nice. Either a "Find next/previous event" button or something akin to a list of all the events.
  • In the Timeline Settings, it would be nice if there were a way to save certain Start and End dates so that we could quickly zoom in on a chunk of the timeline. As I said, my timeline spans over 2000 years, but there are only two or three chunks (a century here and there) that are relevant. I want everything on the same timeline, but I hate having to scroll so much... so if I could click a saved preset and focus in on the relevant chunk, that would be lovely.

Now, the bug:

It had to do with determining ages in fantasy calendars

I've created an Entity for "Bellimar's War," which is the primary event for one series of my novels. I've been using the Entity line to show the "age" of the war (i.e., how long it's been going on for). It works well for larger ages, but it seems to get confused by shorter ones.

For instance, the war starts on 38/6/1368. A primary battle takes place on 33/4/1370. So that's *almost* two years later, but it is showing the age as "11 months." I don't know why, if it has something to do with the 49-day months I'm using, etc.

I have another event taking place on 27/1/1373, which is about 4.5 years into the war. The Entity line is showing 4 years, which is correct. (If I change it to 38/6/1373, it shows 5 years, which is exactly correct.)

At the moment, I think that's all I've got. Let me know if there are any questions, etc.

ma
matt

Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:34 am Post

inpariswithyou wrote:Hi! I've been using the program the past few weeks to create a fantasy calendar for the universe I've made for my novels. The calendar uses a 363-day year, composed of 7 months of 49 days (7 weeks). The range of relevant dates for my timeline extends, with sporadic chunks of interest, over approximately 2000 years.

First, some suggestions:

• Some way to navigate between events without having to find them on the timeline would be nice. Either a "Find next/previous event" button or something akin to a list of all the events.
  • In the Timeline Settings, it would be nice if there were a way to save certain Start and End dates so that we could quickly zoom in on a chunk of the timeline. As I said, my timeline spans over 2000 years, but there are only two or three chunks (a century here and there) that are relevant. I want everything on the same timeline, but I hate having to scroll so much... so if I could click a saved preset and focus in on the relevant chunk, that would be lovely.

Now, the bug:

I've created an Entity for "Bellimar's War," which is the primary event for one series of my novels. I've been using the Entity line to show the "age" of the war (i.e., how long it's been going on for). It works well for larger ages, but it seems to get confused by shorter ones.

For instance, the war starts on 38/6/1368. A primary battle takes place on 33/4/1370. So that's *almost* two years later, but it is showing the age as "11 months." I don't know why, if it has something to do with the 49-day months I'm using, etc.

I have another event taking place on 27/1/1373, which is about 4.5 years into the war. The Entity line is showing 4 years, which is correct. (If I change it to 38/6/1373, it shows 5 years, which is exactly correct.)

At the moment, I think that's all I've got. Let me know if there are any questions, etc.

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding your suggestions:

The next version (due for release soon) has a much improved Context Bar at the bottom, which shows the placement of events and allows you to control scrolling using that bar directly. So seeing where the next event is, and also zooming out and quickly scrolling to the new areas will be much easier with the next version.

However, I agree a "Next/Prev Event" option would be a good idea, so I will add that to the list of things to do for the next release.

The preset zooms/locations is a good idea, although it will take some thought to figure out how to fit it into the interface in a way that is easy to use. There is no point having it in some clunky format or hard to get to, as this will become harder to use than the current mouse wheel zoom and scroll.

Regarding the calculation of times etc. I do agree it does seem like there is a bug there, which I will look into.

In general, that system will always quote whole numbers (i.e. 20 years, not 20.5 years, 4 months, not 4.5 months), and rounded down the same way we do with ages (so someone who is 30.99 is still 30, not 31).

For that reason, for values less than 2, it automatically drops to the smaller time period to give a more precise value (eg. it will say 18 months, not 1 year).

In this case, the number of months it is quoting is incorrect - no doubt something I missed when converting that calculation from standard calendars to flexible fantasy calendars.

Thanks,
Matt

in
inpariswithyou
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:58 am Post

Glad to hear you're listening to our suggestions! I'm excited to see the next build, definitely.

Also, I'm having some weird behavior with two of my events. Both of them are the births of two of my characters, and I can't click them. When I do, the timeline itself freezes, though I can still close Aeon or open a different timeline, etc. I don't think it was happening earlier, but it's happening now, even after a reboot.

I'm not sure how else to explain the behavior. If you would want to see the file -- for this problem or the age-calculation thing I mentioned above -- just let me know.

ma
matt

Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:08 am Post

Hi,
Yes, it is usually a lot easier to figure these things out if I have the file that is actually causing the problem.

Could you email it to "support (AT) scribblecode (DOT) com".

(Please excuse the email address, just avoiding spammers as long as I can).

Matt

ma
matt

Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:51 am Post

inpariswithyou wrote:Hi! I've been using the program the past few weeks to create a fantasy calendar for the universe I've made for my novels. The calendar uses a 363-day year, composed of 7 months of 49 days (7 weeks). The range of relevant dates for my timeline extends, with sporadic chunks of interest, over approximately 2000 years.

Now, the bug:

I have looked into this a little more carefully, and the 11 month figure is actually correct.

Two years (i.e. 14 months) will take you through to 38/6/1370.
13 months would therefore take you to 38/5/1970, and 12 months to 38/4/1970, which is still ahead of your time.

The time difference is actually 11 months and 44 days, which as I explained above, gets rounded down the same way we do with ages.

Matt