Aeon Timeline Version 0.5.2 (Bug fixes to Fantasy Dates)

ma
matt

Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:40 pm Post

Aeon Timeline Version 0.5.1 (Beta) can be downloaded from the following URL:

[Update: Version 0.5.2 is now available]
[Update: Version 0.5.3 is now available - further bug fixes]

http://aeontimeline.wordpress.com/latest-version/

The application has been tested on Snow Leopard and Leopard, and as the second release for this iteration should be reasonably stable. No testing has been done on Tiger yet, but I will be doing this in the near future to ensure Tiger compatibility.

This new version is an update to fix the bugs and other minor improvements requested from people playing with version 0.5.0 (Version 0.5.0 introduced fantasy calendars, and a much cleaner user interface including scroll-wheel zooming).

Versions 0.5.x use a new Calendar format to work with Fantasy Dates, and updates old files to this new format when they are first opened.

The change list is very long, and includes:
  • The default calendar now comes with BC and AD eras.
  • Added ability to duplicate calendars (choose edit, and change name).
  • The default calendar now comes with BC and AD eras.
  • Fixed bug that didn't update the Context Bar when opening a new timeline in Entity View.
  • Fixed source of crash when closing timelines or quitting (to be confirmed with extended use)
  • Fixed bug that prevented Exporting from working correctly.
  • Fixed calculation of 'current end position' in Context Bar.
  • Fixed jumpy scrolling in Story Arc View.
  • Fixed so that Story Arc View maintains correct vertical position when zooming in and out with the mouse.
  • Changing timeline start date now updates Story Arc View correctly.
  • Date Selector no longer requires tabbing to a new field to update in Add Event and Add Entity views.
  • Date Selector in Inspector no longer gets hidden when the Inspector is made too small.
  • The inspector grab handles now work correctly.
  • Current zoom settings are now correctly saved and loaded with a timeline
  • Entity View will not zoom out past where the full number of events cannot fit.
  • Fixed "months old" calculations when crossing era boundaries.
  • Text colour is now applied to central parts of Entity View correctly.
  • Fixed bug that prevented Calendars being deleted.
  • Fixed bug that allowed two entities with the same name.
  • Multiple minor things to make user interface slicker.

Before downloading the beta, please read the Introduction and Beta/Forum Rules.

Please post all general bug reports found in this beta as a reply to this thread. Wish list items and discussion of other pending features belong in their own threads.

If the application crashes, please include the crash log and output from the Console in your bug report.

igregor
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:00 pm Post

matt wrote:If the application crashes, please include the crash log and output from the Console in your bug report.

Crash Log? Console output? Where are they?
-- iGregor

ma
matt

Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:39 pm Post

To save me from typing it out myself, here is a link to Keith's bug reporting guide:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=52

See point 3 and 5.

Matt

Lo
Louis

Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:26 am Post

Heh, "Create" ... thanks. ;)

ma
matt

Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:57 am Post

Louis wrote:Heh, "Create" ... thanks. ;)

I knew I forgot something when I wrote the change log!

ma
matt

Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:21 am Post

Hi All,
I won't bother creating a new post for this one, but I have just uploaded version 0.5.2, which does two things:
1) Corrects the exporting bug that was reported in the 0.5.1 release.
2) Adds a CrashReporter, which will provide users with a one-click prompt to send me details of a crash when you next start Aeon (thanks to Keith for providing me with the code).

I anticipate this will be a stable release now, so I do not expect to release another point upgrade before the next release of version 0.6. Depending how much I decide to put into 0.6, it may be several months before there is another release after this one (unless there is a major bug reported).

Thanks,
Matt

ja
janra
Platform: Mac

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:00 pm Post

I just poked my head back into entity view because I remembered I'd been forgetting to switch over and connect entities when I created a new event in story arc view. At this point I had just upgraded, opened my timeline file, and played with scrolling and zooming in story arc to admire how nice and smooth it was now.

So in entity view I added the circle for characters on a few scenes, then put my mouse over the names across the top to see if there was a tooltip for the full name if it's too long to display. There wasn't, but there was one that said "change listed participants, participant order, and participant names". Since I didn't see any control buttons, I assumed it was a drag-and-drop sort of thing, and tried to drag one of the entities to a different position in the list. The ghosty version of the name followed my mouse, then when I dropped it, stayed in its ghosty hovering form and nothing actually moved. I clicked in the main part of the window and the drag ghost vanished, the original item stayed where it was.

Then I couldn't connect entities and events any more.

Then I started writing this, and poked back in to make sure it hadn't locked up entirely by at least scrolling around and stuff. Then the zoom function scrolled things and then scroll and zoom stopped working entirely.

Console had a whole pile of:
11-01-15 12:39:57 Aeon Timeline[52028] *** -[NSCFArray objectAtIndex:]: index (2) beyond bounds (1)
(all with the same numbers, 2 and 1)

followed by a single:
11-01-15 12:40:09 Aeon Timeline[52028] Big Problem!

And then I had to close Aeon because I couldn't do anything with it anymore. The timeline across the bottom had blanked as well. Aeon dumped a long series of the above two lines, alternating, to the console. The save dialogue (I assume that's what it was) flashed up just long enough for me to see a dialogue with a couple of buttons, but not quite long enough to read it, then the program shut down.

After restarting, I dragged a few entities into their new order successfully and things still appear to work as they should.

If there's any other place I can collect info on this, let me know and I'll dig it up. Aeon didn't actually crash, but it became unusable and I shut it down. If it happens again, I'll let you know.

ja
janewatson

Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:20 am Post

Still excited about this application. Keep up the good work! Still distracted by the fact that the vertical timeline numbers do not display properly in the Entity view. Or perhaps I am doing something wrong!
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-01-17 at 5.42.43 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-01-17 at 5.42.43 PM.png (8.15 KiB) Viewed 1961 times
--–––––––––––––
Hindustan Contessa
A novel by Jane Watson
ISBN: 0 330 36361 1
Picador - Pan Macmillan Australia
http://www.janewatson.com.au

ma
matt

Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:33 am Post

Hi Jane,
Thanks for the encouragement.

I'm a little lost though - what do you think is wrong with the attached screenshot?

That is showing a six monthly view, with January and July marked as major tick marks, and the minor marks in the place where March and May would be, which is as intended I believe.

Or are you referring to the fact that March and April no longer have any text marked with them?

I removed that intentionally for performance reasons, as it is much faster if a smaller volume of text needs to be drawn. I could probably add them back in, if necessary.

Matt

igregor

Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:54 pm Post

Matt,

I've come across a persistent bug that needs attention. Aeon seems to default into a day/month/year format in spite of what I choose for the timeline settings. For example, with timeline settings set for month/day/year, clicking add event in story arc view, and entering 12/1/2000 -- meaning December 1st, 2000 -- results in an event placed in the timeline at January 12th and displayed as 1/12/2000. Further, at the same time, the inspector displays 12/1/2000.

Also, I'm stumped how to move data into an Aeon project in bulk. Is this something for down the road?

Thanks,

Greg
-- iGregor

ma
matt

Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:42 am Post

igregor wrote:Matt,

I've come across a persistent bug that needs attention. Aeon seems to default into a day/month/year format in spite of what I choose for the timeline settings. For example, with timeline settings set for month/day/year, clicking add event in story arc view, and entering 12/1/2000 -- meaning December 1st, 2000 -- results in an event placed in the timeline at January 12th and displayed as 1/12/2000. Further, at the same time, the inspector displays 12/1/2000.

Also, I'm stumped how to move data into an Aeon project in bulk. Is this something for down the road?

Thanks,

Greg

Hi Greg,

Yes, the date picker control that I have created is currently Day/Month/Year regardless of settings. Modifying this to be able to swap between Day/Month and Month/Day is on my to-do list for the next version.

Regarding bulk importing data. Yes, this is something that I intend to look into further down the track. I will probably add some importers that can pull data from CSV or XML files, as a starting point.

Matt

Matt

ma
matt

Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:12 pm Post

janra wrote:So in entity view I added the circle for characters on a few scenes, then put my mouse over the names across the top to see if there was a tooltip for the full name if it's too long to display. There wasn't, but there was one that said "change listed participants, participant order, and participant names". Since I didn't see any control buttons, I assumed it was a drag-and-drop sort of thing, and tried to drag one of the entities to a different position in the list. The ghosty version of the name followed my mouse, then when I dropped it, stayed in its ghosty hovering form and nothing actually moved. I clicked in the main part of the window and the drag ghost vanished, the original item stayed where it was.

Then I couldn't connect entities and events any more.

Then I started writing this, and poked back in to make sure it hadn't locked up entirely by at least scrolling around and stuff. Then the zoom function scrolled things and then scroll and zoom stopped working entirely....

Hi,
I have fixed a problem related to changing Entity orders in that view. I wasn't getting the exact behaviour you describe, but it is likely that this bug may have left things in an unstable state, which might have caused further difficulties.

I will have an update posted by the end of the week. Please let me know if this problem occurs again in the updated version.

Matt

igregor

Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:14 pm Post

Matt,

In the process of playing with Aeon export I noticed both "Date Only" and "Story Arc and Date" buttons are active (see pic) as the initial default condition when the window opens.
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-01-20 at 11.48.49 AM.png
Screen shot 2011-01-20 at 11.48.49 AM.png (126.75 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
-- iGregor

ja
janra
Platform: Mac

Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:25 am Post

I opened Aeon to work on the timing of part of my novel. I created a single new event first, then decided I needed a new label for it.

I created a new label, then tried to select that label for a newly created event. It wasn't in the list.

I tried to go back to the timeline prefs, but it was greyed out in the menu. Keyboard shortcut didn't work either.

Save was also greyed out.

Quit is also greyed out...

I can open and close another aeon file, but the one I was just working in still can't be closed, saved, or whatever.

Picked quit from the dock menu.

Picked force quit from the opt-dock menu. Finally, it quit.

Console message:

11-01-20 23:01:43 Aeon Timeline[11509] *** -getRed:green:blue:alpha: not defined for the NSColor NSNamedColorSpace System controlTextColor; need to first convert colorspace.

Then I tried to make it happen again, but I created the label before I created the event. No problems. Closed without saving to try again.

Then, I made it happen a second time in the same file, by following the same process as I did before. (Open file, new event, set it to 1 day duration, go to timeline prefs, create a new label and pick a different colour, click on label selector in still-selected event, get above console message, colour is not in the list, various things are greyed out.)

Then I tried to make it happen in a different file. That time I didn't get the above bug, but instead each time I clicked on the "Timeline" menu, I got the following console message:

========
11-01-20 23:20:19 Aeon Timeline[11964] -[EntityViewController validateUserInterfaceItem:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x6889a0
11-01-20 23:20:19 Aeon Timeline[11964] HIToolbox: ignoring exception '-[EntityViewController validateUserInterfaceItem:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x6889a0' that raised inside Carbon event dispatch
(
0 CoreFoundation 0x9596f6ba __raiseError + 410
1 libobjc.A.dylib 0x9557d509 objc_exception_throw + 56
2 CoreFoundation 0x959bc90b -[NSObject(NSObject) doesNotRecognizeSelector:] + 187
3 CoreFoundation 0x95915c36 ___forwarding___ + 950
4 CoreFoundation 0x95915802 _CF_forwarding_prep_0 + 50
5 AppKit 0x97c79d9e -[NSMenu _enableItem:] + 651
6 AppKit 0x97c7d09c -[NSCarbonMenuImpl _carbonUpdateStatusEvent:handlerCallRef:] + 527
7 AppKit 0x97c7ac61 NSSLMMenuEventHandler + 404
8 HIToolbox 0x9919decf _ZL23DispatchEventToHandlersP14EventTargetRecP14OpaqueEventRefP14HandlerCallRec + 1567
9 HIToolbox 0x9919d196 _ZL30SendEventToEventTargetInternalP14OpaqueEventRefP20OpaqueEventTargetRefP14HandlerCallRec + 411
10 HIToolbox 0x991bfa07 SendEventToEventTarget + 52
11 HIToolbox 0x991ebfd3 _ZL18SendHICommandEventmPK9HICommandmmhPKvP20OpaqueEventTargetRefS5_PP14OpaqueEventRef + 448
12 HIToolbox 0x991ebe10 UpdateHICommandStatusWithCachedEvent + 66
13 HIToolbox 0x991996ad _ZN13HIApplication12EventHandlerEP25OpaqueEventHandlerCallRefP14OpaqueEventRefPv + 1287
14 HIToolbox 0x9919decf _ZL23DispatchEventToHandlersP14EventTargetRecP14OpaqueEventRefP14HandlerCallRec + 1567
15 HIToolbox 0x9919d196 _ZL30SendEventToEventTargetInternalP14OpaqueEventRefP20OpaqueEventTargetRefP14HandlerCallRec + 411
16 HIToolbox 0x991bfa07 SendEventToEventTarget + 52
17 HIToolbox 0x991e98c8 _ZL15SendMenuOpeningP14MenuSelectDataP8MenuDatadmP14__CFDictionaryhPh + 826
18 HIToolbox 0x991e91b7 _ZL11DrawTheMenuP14MenuSelectDataPP9__CFArrayhPh + 263
19 HIToolbox 0x991e8f81 _ZL11MenuChangedP14MenuSelectDatahh + 467
20 HIToolbox 0x991e7cff _ZL15TrackMenuCommonR14MenuSelectDataPh + 1481
21 HIToolbox 0x991e02bf _ZL14MenuSelectCoreP8MenuData5PointdmPP13OpaqueMenuRefPt + 315
22 HIToolbox 0x991dfabc _HandleMenuSelection2 + 465
23 HIToolbox 0x991df8da _HandleMenuSelection + 53
24 AppKit 0x97c741a2 _NSHandleCarbonMenuEvent + 285
25 AppKit 0x97c48d3e _DPSNextEvent + 2304
26 AppKit 0x97c47fce -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 156
27 AppKit 0x97c0a247 -[NSApplication run] + 821
28 AppKit 0x97c022d9 NSApplicationMain + 574
29 Aeon Timeline 0x00001fb9 _start + 208
30 Aeon Timeline 0x00001ee8 start + 40
)
========

The the menu and then the timeline prefs pane did display despite the console message, and the new label did appear and applied to the event as it should have.

update: now the file I was using for the first reported bug is showing this console message too.

-j

PS: the console also prints messages about the inspector opening and closing.

PPS: the message about silently upgrading project file formats: can that be made to go away by the user, who perhaps doesn't need to see it every single time the program starts?

ma
matt

Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:35 am Post

I have just made available a new minor release that fixes numerous bugs found and reported in the last release.

This includes further fixes to:
* The export system (fixed multiple bugs, with a lot of help from igregor)
* The label system (removed potential hang when changing label colours to "named/system colours"
* Crash when creating timelines in earlier periods (eg. 1500s)
* Hang when re-ordering Entities

As the new calendar system has proven stable over several iterations, I have finally removed the annoying popup message when first opening the timeline that tells you to backup.

Matt