Guide To MultiMarkdown and Scrivener

ja
janra
Platform: Mac

Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:04 am Post

fletcher wrote:
JWiegley wrote:Just a quick note: After rerunning texhash and updmap, all of my problems seem to have gone away.

John

Good - let me know if there are other issues.

Cruxdestruct - let me know if this doesn't fix your problem as well.

Fletcher

I got the same ifpdf error as above, so I ran texhash and updmap as suggested, but I still get that error when running pdflatex on the .tex file generated by MMD/LaTeX export.

This is on a fresh (~10 minutes old) totally unmodified MacTeX install.

JW
JWiegley

Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:25 am Post

janra wrote:I got the same ifpdf error as above, so I ran texhash and updmap as suggested, but I still get that error when running pdflatex on the .tex file generated by MMD/LaTeX export.

This is on a fresh (~10 minutes old) totally unmodified MacTeX install.

Yes, a quick update: Shortly after my problem went away, it came right back again. I have no idea what I did to resolve it, and have found no way to make it go away since.

Since my output target is pdf, I just manually remove the usepackage for ifpdf, and then I remove the \ifpdf so that its contents are always there.

John

fl
fletcher

Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:16 am Post

I'm happy to take a look if you send me a sample file. But I have been using this ifpdf syntax in my tex files for over a year now without a single problem, and that is with pdflatex installed by Fink and with MacTex.

Without a test file, I don't have much else to offer right now.

Fletcher

fl
fletcher

Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:30 am Post

I might have figured this out.

MacTeX ships with an older version of memoir that seems to have trouble with reloading ifpdf.

If you delete the line:

\usepackage{ifpdf} % For pdf stuff...

Does it work for everybody? You should be able to leave the rest of the ifpdf stuff intact.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:04 am Post

I updated my memoir class. The one that shipped with my distribution was hideously old! After updating, this error has gone away.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

ja
janra

Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:27 pm Post

Ok, I'm feeling a little dumb here. I understand from various posts scattered around that you can install and upgrade styles and so on for MacTeX via something called i-Installer, instead of getting the zip file and building the cls files etc and installing it by hand. (Not that I ever upgraded LaTeX when I was on linux either, but...)

So anyway, this being a mac, I have a feeling it is easy to do and yet I can't seem to figure out how to upgrade the memoir class.

Any tips?

ja
janra

Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:13 pm Post

well I found *a* list of TeX packages available through i-installer, but memoir isn't listed among them.

How do you upgrade the memoir package? Does it have to be done by hand?

AmberV

Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:29 pm Post

i-Installer is more intended to keep the whole thing updated, rather than individual parts like the classes. I had to do it by hand, which involved fixing things up a bit afterwords. The old hyperref wasn't compatible with the new class, et cetera.
Ioa Petra'ka

ja
janra

Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:36 pm Post

Hm, that's a nuisance. Do you happen to have notes on what all you needed to install? memoir, hyperref, anything else?

AmberV

Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:55 pm Post

I didn't write it all down, no. I think I needed kvoptions.sty, too. Which was in the oberdiek macro collection.

But, before you go through all of that trouble, have you tried just running pdflatex in nonstopmode? Do this:

Code: Select all

pdflatex -interaction nonstopmode <filename.tex>

If that makes a good PDF, then alias the command so you do not have to type all of that in every time.

Code: Select all

alias pdflatex='pdflatex -interaction nonstopmode'

You'll need to add that to your shell environment file, which depends on what shell you use. For me, that is ~/.profile, using Bash.
Ioa Petra'ka

ja
janra

Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:09 pm Post

argh :shock: I already did the manual update of memoir and hyperref.

after texhash and updmap, I'm now getting different errors, too.

Missing \endcsname inserted

followed by

Extra \endcsname

(grr)

Maybe I'll nuke and reinstall MacTeX, and just accept that ifpdf error, or comment out the ifpdf commands. It seemed to produce a good PDF, as far as I could tell - didn't inspect it closely, but nothing jumped out as being wrong. Besides, I'm always going to be using pdflatex for these documents...

What a nuisance. :-p

AmberV

Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:58 pm Post

I was going to add, if you start messing around with upgrades, make sure to back up your old classes somewhere safe so you can restore -- but it looks like I am too late. :?

And yes, I am pretty sure the ifpdf warning is very minor. It is just getting declared twice somewhere, so all of the PDF meta-data functions still work. The PDF itself is fine -- it just an annoying bug of duplication. nonstopmode is fine for stuff that comes out Scrivener anyway. Interactive mode is more useful when you've hand-coded the LaTeX file and you need to spot typos. So far, I haven't seen an invalid LaTeX file yet.
Ioa Petra'ka

ja
janra

Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:35 am Post

Oh well, I just re-ran the MacTeX installer, and it fixed it right up :-)

I've actually never tried upgrading LaTeX before, I have always just done the "install it and leave it" thing. Set it and forget it...

At any rate, the ifpdf thing is minor so I'm not going to worry about it further. I'll just be waiting for fletcher's 6x9 xslt file for lulu format PDFs... :-D

AmberV

Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:44 am Post

I really should preface some of my more cavalier comments with a bunch of

"I am insane geekgirl, who tears things apart because it is fun to fix them!"

...disclaimers.

Sorry you had to go through all of that hassle! :)
Ioa Petra'ka

ja
janra

Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:54 am Post

AmberV wrote:I really should preface some of my more cavalier comments with a bunch of

"I am insane geekgirl, who tears things apart because it is fun to fix them!"

...disclaimers.

Sorry you had to go through all of that hassle! :)

Haha :-D

You know, I used to be the same way. That's why I jumped right in and tried the upgrade. But after a while I found I preferred to have most things that I use day to day Just Work. If it's broken, I'll get my hands dirty, but for the most part I like having things Just Work.

I'll still hand-code LaTeX, or write scripts because doing things by hand is boring, or spend a few hours tweaking text configuration files until things are *just* as I want them, but sometimes it's nice for well-designed software to do something for you.

That said, my appreciation of OS X is both that it Just Works *and* that I can screw around with unix to my heart's content, all on the same computer! I do some software development myself, but it's all perl/apache server type stuff, so I like being able to do that on my slick little powerbook :-)