Selecting LaTeX typesetting and bibliography engines

el
elw2u16
Platform: Mac

Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:01 am Post

Hi,

I've changed to using Texpad as my LaTeX editor and am very pleased with it, and use XeLaTeX and Biber for my documents.

However, now when I try and compile a Scrivener document using MMD -> LaTeX and open the resulting .tex document in Texpad, it defaults to the built-in Texpad typesetter and bibliography engines, and the document fails to compile.

Is there any way to set XeLaTex and Biber as the typesetting/bibliography engines via Metadata/LaTeX options in Scrivener? I can find very little help with regard to LaTeX setup in the Scrivener tutorials, and am usually on the verge of abandoning Scrivener and going back to LaTeX alone as everything always seems so difficult to get working, and breaks every time there's a Scrivener upgrade :(

Thanks,
Emma

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:53 pm Post

However, now when I try and compile a Scrivener document using MMD -> LaTeX and open the resulting .tex document in Texpad, it defaults to the built-in Texpad typesetter and bibliography engines, and the document fails to compile.

If I understand you correctly, surely that is something you need to adjust in the software you use to edit .tex files—default settings or something? In TeXShop you have to tell it you want XeLaTeX for instance. In most cases .tex files cannot influence how a GUI works, unless the GUI has been specifically programmed to take certain cues from the preamble. I’d say MultiMarkdown’s .tex files are even more so that way, at least by default, as they have no preamble for an editor to even try and guess at what it needs. It’s been that way for many years, too, so I’m not sure why you would have only now noticed something—unless the problem has nothing to do with your .tex files.

I can find very little help with regard to LaTeX setup in the Scrivener tutorials, and am usually on the verge of abandoning Scrivener and going back to LaTeX alone as everything always seems so difficult to get working, and breaks every time there’s a Scrivener upgrade…

I’m not sure what you’ve run into, in the past, sorry you haven’t found a convenient path. As for setting up LaTeX in Scrivener, I’m not 100% sure what you mean by that since it’s more about setting up MultiMarkdown in Scrivener. MMD is the thing that turns your Markdown into LaTeX, and the latter is what Scrivener knows how to make. That isn’t in the tutorial either, but that’s more because the author of it doesn’t use Markdown. The user manual has a whole chapter on it though; let me know if there are any facets that are unclear. There are also a number of built-in compile Formats for LaTeX, some demonstrating custom use, like the “Modern” example.

As for pure LaTeX—that is also an option with Scrivener. If part of what has bothered you in the past is fluctuations in Markdown syntax and how it generates .tex files, then you don’t have to use that conversion engine as a middleman in Scrivener. You can also be in more control over when MMD updates. We try to keep the version embedded in Scrivener up to date, but you can install your own version to the system and it will use that instead. This means you can go on using an older version you’ve tuned your work toward, rather than being stuck on the upgrade treadmill.

You can use another conversion engine entirely, like Pandoc (there is even a good automated workflow for that, search for “Scrivomatic” on this forum here). Or you can check out the “General Non-Fiction (LaTeX)” built-in template we provide, which is designed for those that prefer to require working in native LaTeX rather than using Markdown-based conversion. With that template, Scrivener can convert most of the things to LaTeX that it itself will convert to Markdown by default, and for the rest it demonstrates how you can create your own styles to add support for additional syntax.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles