Anyone Planning for NaNo 2009?

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:22 pm Post

Dear Tanja,
Whenever someone asks me what it`s like to have M.E., I always answer with, "You feel, 'wasted', physically, mentally, and emotionally. With M.E., it`s as if: whatever it is, inside a human being, that responds to outside stimuli, and generates passion, enthusiasm, curiosity, interest etc. has been damaged, broken, or switched off inside the brain. It`s a neurological disease. I call it, 'Zombification'. ME is also referred to as: CFS Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and also Post Viral Syndrome. However, chronic fatigue by itself, is a common symptom of many illnesses. That`s where a lot of resentment from ME sufferers stems from, in relation to the disease being labled by the by the chronic fatigue tag. Being tired all the time, is a commonly used description used by non-sufferers, but woefully short of the mark. Your description of it is very apt:
tannie wrote:'s one of the most debilitating parts of my various illnesses. Pain, I can work with most of the time (do less, use the hurting bodypart less often etc), but that intense fatigue... Oof. It stops my world... Literally, sometimes I 'lose' a week and don't really notice until afterwards

As for the Myalgic (pain) side of the disease, I`m relatively free of it, touch wood (touches head). Others are crippled with it. However much or little pain they have to endure, apparently, there is never any inflammation to accompany it. It`s not the same as psychosomatic pain though, that`s a different bag of fighting ferrets.

Actually, over the last few days, news has emerged of new research developments. http://www.afme.org.uk/news.asp?newsid=649
http://www.afme.org.uk/news.asp?newsid=651
I`ll have to go check it out.
Good night Tanja, sweet dreams :wink:
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

ka
karen

Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:29 pm Post

I've always liked Vic's depiction of ME/CFS from a thread last year:

"A not too outlandish description of it would be a surrealist nightmare."

-karen

vic-k

Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:56 pm Post

karen wrote:I've always liked Vic's depiction of ME/CFS from a thread last year:
"A not too outlandish description of it would be a surrealist nightmare."
-karen

Hiya babe!!
Lovely t`see y` posting :lol: How are y`. <---------no question mark, rhetorical question. Don`t have to answer if not up to it...`s ok! :wink: So long as we know you`re out there, `n` still batting.
Loads o` luv
Vic
Attachments
flowers.gif
flowers.gif (3.51 KiB) Viewed 2735 times
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

tannie

Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:26 pm Post

vic-k wrote:Dear Tanja,
Whenever someone asks me what it`s like to have M.E., I always answer with, "You feel, 'wasted', physically, mentally, and emotionally. With M.E., it`s as if: whatever it is, inside a human being, that responds to outside stimuli, and generates passion, enthusiasm, curiosity, interest etc. has been damaged, broken, or switched off inside the brain. It`s a neurological disease. I call it, 'Zombification'. ME is also referred to as: CFS Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and also Post Viral Syndrome. However, chronic fatigue by itself, is a common symptom of many illnesses. That`s where a lot of resentment from ME sufferers stems from, in relation to the disease being labled by the by the chronic fatigue tag.

I hope I didn't offend you by referring to that chronic fatigue bit, I really did mean it in the most fitting way possible. I know that 'regular' people don't experience fatigue as I do (I have chronic fatigue as an extra symptom, not the syndrome afaik). They'll say 'Oh I'm so tired after this day of work, really exhausted!', and then they'll go out and have dinner and party a bit. When I say I'm exhausted it means I can barely get out of bed, barely get myself into the shower (and on some days I just don't) and barely stay awake. Can't think, can't decide, can't really do anything. Zombification sounds like the right word (I have used 'I'm have a zombie-day' to boyfriend, and have later referred to it by a simple 'braaaaains')
It sucks to become a shadow of your former self, not only in the energy way, but also in the passion / enthusiasm / curiosity way. I frequently remember how full of life I *used to be*, and how little of that I have left.

Good to hear you don't have crippling pains, I'm lucky in the way that I don't get much of the default RA-swelling (it happens sometimes, and then my shoes don't fit and my hands feel like balloons), which I consider a very good thing. :)
Does 'brain-fog' mean anything to you?

Enjoy your evening!

Tanja

Ca
Carradee
Platform: Mac

Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:38 pm Post

tannie wrote:I hope I didn't offend you by referring to that chronic fatigue bit, I really did mean it in the most fitting way possible. I know that 'regular' people don't experience fatigue as I do (I have chronic fatigue as an extra symptom, not the syndrome afaik). They'll say 'Oh I'm so tired after this day of work, really exhausted!', and then they'll go out and have dinner and party a bit. When I say I'm exhausted it means I can barely get out of bed, barely get myself into the shower (and on some days I just don't) and barely stay awake. Can't think, can't decide, can't really do anything. Zombification sounds like the right word (I have used 'I'm have a zombie-day' to boyfriend, and have later referred to it by a simple 'braaaaains')
It sucks to become a shadow of your former self, not only in the energy way, but also in the passion / enthusiasm / curiosity way. I frequently remember how full of life I *used to be*, and how little of that I have left.

Have you been checked for adrenal problems? There's a saliva test that checks all the various things your adrenal gland makes. I had a point when I was testing normal on bloodwork, because altogether my levels were average, but when you checked them individually my SigA was gone. That alone put me in stage II adrenal fatigue, and within 15 minutes of getting up in the morning, I was ready for a nap. I remember fragments from the missions trip. I could barely get myself up stairs, much less carry a bookbag.
Wanna hydroplane?
--My brother (while driving)

tannie

Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:07 pm Post

Carradee wrote:Have you been checked for adrenal problems? There's a saliva test that checks all the various things your adrenal gland makes. I had a point when I was testing normal on bloodwork, because altogether my levels were average, but when you checked them individually my SigA was gone. That alone put me in stage II adrenal fatigue, and within 15 minutes of getting up in the morning, I was ready for a nap. I remember fragments from the missions trip. I could barely get myself up stairs, much less carry a bookbag.

No, I don't think so, but I'll suggest it with my next bloodtest (did have thyroid checked though).

I do have rheumatoid arthritis and chronic fatigue is a very common extra-symptom of that. Also have several vitamin deficiencies which cause fatigue (and I bet my iron is low too). That I barely eat enough to maintain my levels which also don't help with the fatigue.
I have been thinking a lot about getting some kind of thorough check up (hopefully my GP will co-operate) cause I believe I need that, in order to get the best treatment possible. :)

Tanja

vic-k

Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:25 pm Post

geronimo.jpg
geronimo.jpg (12.68 KiB) Viewed 2715 times
cochise.jpg
cochise.jpg (13 KiB) Viewed 2715 times
Carradee wrote:I hope I didn't offend you by referring to that chronic fatigue bit,
Dear tanja.
Not in the least!! :D It was patently obvious that you knew just how different chronic fatigue was from, 'tired all the time'. In fact it`s patently obvious that your experience of it is far worse than mine. In fact! If you were to contract ME now, I doubt you would know it. You`re already suffering intensely with most of the symptoms. I have nothing but admiration for you, for the way you cope with it all. :wink:

tannie wrote:Does 'brain-fog' mean anything to you?
Dossssssee it whhaaaaat!! Tell me about it!! :lol: As Geronimo, above said to Cochise,also above, "We speak with one tongue."

Take care Tanja :wink:
vic

Limulus

Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:59 pm Post

Kendric wrote:I've been working on my book for nearly three years, editing the hell out of it along the way and taking breaks now and again to reorganize my thoughts. Sometimes the breaks lasted months when other things got in the way...

Could I bang out 175 pages in a month? I'd say almost undoubtedly. Would they be coherent, and would anyone want to read it when I was finished? That's probably another story altogether.

I expect that the energy generated by working on my official NaNoWriMo project will spill over into my ongoing (and going and going...) serious work-in-progress so that it won't take three years to complete. That's one of the best reasons to do it. (Plus it's just great fun!)

SCRIVENER gives me the ability to jump between projects quickly and start writing immediately in any project because it keeps everything organized. Additionally, I can use the font and color preferences to set "moods" for each project (especially in the binder and corkboard) so that my subconscious knows which story should have it's undivided attention.
Vos lego, proinde ego scribo. (You read, therefore I write.)

Ca
Carradee

Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:09 pm Post

Limulus wrote:SCRIVENER gives me the ability to jump between projects quickly and start writing immediately in any project because it keeps everything organized. Additionally, I can use the font and color preferences to set "moods" for each project (especially in the binder and corkboard) so that my subconscious knows which story should have it's undivided attention.

Yes, but can you switch your NARRATORS as easily? Be careful with that. I can usually juggle three narrators; any more, and I start having trouble switching projects.

it's = it is
its = possessive form of it

You don't add an apostrophe to hers or his, do you? :)
Wanna hydroplane?

Jaysen

Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:38 pm Post

Carradee wrote:You don't add an apostrophe to hers or his, do you? :)

When quoting vic-k you NEED to.
vic-k wrote:It was odd *hic*, 'ers was *hic* big'er 'an 'is! *hic*
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Ca
Carradee

Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:54 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:

That isn't an added apostrophe. That's an inserted apostrophe that replaces a missing letter. :P
Wanna hydroplane?

Jaysen

Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:38 pm Post

What should we add to make up for the other things that vic-k is missing?
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:25 pm Post

Carradee wrote:
Jaysen wrote:

That isn't an added apostrophe. That's an inserted apostrophe that replaces a missing letter. :P

Unfortunately, an inserted apostrophe would just be a particular kind of added apostrophe. So, what I think you need here is a metaphysics of elision according to which elided letters actually transform into apostrophes. Then, you may elide, no additives applied. It's downright supernatural, I tell you.

--Greg

Ca
Carradee

Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:30 pm Post

gr wrote:
Carradee wrote:That isn't an added apostrophe. That's an inserted apostrophe that replaces a missing letter. :P

Unfortunately, an inserted apostrophe would just be a particular kind of added apostrophe. So, what I think you need here is a metaphysics of elision according to which elided letters actually transform into apostrophes. So, you may elide, no additives applied. It's downright supernatural, I tell you.

--Greg

I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that. :lol:

Anyway, in 'ers contains the apostrophe legitimately as a replacement; whereas her's would have a meaningless apostrophe needlessly added into the possessive pronoun.
Wanna hydroplane?

vic-k

Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:01 pm Post

gorra feckin` edache now!!! :shock: