Anyone Planning for NaNo 2009?

tannie

Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:42 pm Post

janra wrote:yeah I strictly limit which NaNo forums I will read. Most of them are not useful to me. I do keep up on my local regional forum though; some of the crew continues to meet and write all year.

Ooh that's cool.

I just couldn't get along with my local region... I don't see nanowrimo as a competition with others, it's something I at most see as a competition with myself. Can I write more words today than yesterday? Etc.

I also don't respond well to attempts to push me 'forward' from people that don't know me (or that do, for that matter, hehe), or 'scolding'. I'm too old for that ;)

It is great if you can get together and stimulate eachother, so I might try poking some of my friends, and make them participate :P

Tanja

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:47 pm Post

tannie wrote:It is great if you can get together and stimulate eachother, so I might try poking some of my friends, and make them participate :P

LIke starting your own personal support group? That isn't a bad idea.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

tannie

Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:05 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:
tannie wrote:It is great if you can get together and stimulate eachother, so I might try poking some of my friends, and make them participate :P

LIke starting your own personal support group? That isn't a bad idea.

At least I'll know I already like these people then :)

I do fine on my own too though.

Tanja

ja
janra
Platform: Mac

Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:42 pm Post

tannie wrote:I don't see nanowrimo as a competition with others, it's something I at most see as a competition with myself. Can I write more words today than yesterday?

Most of my region seems about the same - those who want to compete on an individual level I'm sure are there, but they don't tend to be in the groups I end up talking to :-)

tannie wrote:I also don't respond well to attempts to push me 'forward' from people that don't know me (or that do, for that matter, hehe), or 'scolding'.

We go more for celebrating milestones, and encouragement, instead of pushing. Because, really, you don't *have* to do NaNo. But if you want to, that's awesome!

Ca
Carradee

Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:55 pm Post

tannie wrote:*crawls back under her rock*

*crouches by Tanja's rock* Looks cozy. I'm more used to rafters, myself.

tannie wrote:At least I'll know I already like these people then

Tip: make sure that you're all clear on what kind of feedback is acceptable. I made some friends mad when they asked me for feedback on their writing, and I, um, gave it. >_>

tannie wrote:I don't see nanowrimo as a competition with others, it's something I at most see as a competition with myself. Can I write more words today than yesterday?

Odd that such was your experience on the NaNo forums. It wasn't mine. There was one member that I did a word war with when we both got stuck, but otherwise it overall seemed friendly. Remarkably naive or young, at times, but not mean.

But then, I used to hang out in a children's MMORPG, so maybe I'm just inoculated against noticing when kids are being, erm, rude.
Wanna hydroplane?
--My brother (while driving)

tannie

Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:59 pm Post

Carradee wrote:

Odd that such was your experience on the NaNo forums. It wasn't mine. There was one member that I did a word war with when we both got stuck, but otherwise it overall seemed friendly. Remarkably naive or young, at times, but not mean.

But then, I used to hang out in a children's MMORPG, so maybe I'm just inoculated against noticing when kids are being, erm, rude.

I think I just ended up in the wrong group by accident, and when I realised, it had already affected me too much to go look for a better group.

I don't do word wars, I block completely when there's a stressor involved. This has a lot to do with how my life currently evolves, too many stressors already, a little 'word war for the fun of it' is really too much. In the chatrooms last year, I didn't participate in the word wars and that didn't seem to go very well with that group (or at least, that was my impression). I realise that stressors do work for other people and that other people even need them.

It was just not so much fun being called a 'loser' and that I needed to get my priorities straight because if I really wanted to write, I would! And I should just make time for it!
This was when I could barely get out of bed in the morning, and I didn't do much else. I had time alright, but not the energy, and no verbal badgering will make me get that energy. Sure, after I explained over and over that I was ill, then they'd understand. But that meant that my energy went into explaining, rather then writing. So I left it altogether, with a bad taste in my mouth from the experience.

I noticed I already feel a little bad thinking about it now, because of what happened, so I decided to steer clear from any form of negativity this year ;)
I reread a bit of what I wrote last year and in doing so remembered I did have a lot of fun doing the actual writing. And I had some supportive friends, which may or may not participate, but even if they don't they do help a lot.

I don't want to blame the entire group for being mean or whatnot. In retrospect it was a combination of things, me not yet able to handle my own illness very well, having a hard time dealing with criticism about it (I still get it nowadays, and now I tell them to shove it and if they need a hand with that, I have a well-trained dog), them saying the wrong things repeatedly etc etc.

This year, I'll have my own little support-group and I'll write a damn nice story.

If only I could think of a plot...

:P

Tanja

Mo
Morven

Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:22 pm Post

I'm going to be doing it this year. A plot and characters have just been exploding in my head recently, and I've been trying to take notes and get it all massaged into some kind of outline. The genre? Fantasy, more specifically post-apocalyptic magical steampunk/WorldWarOne-ish-era fantasy. The problem is that it's probably going to turn out BIG; I complain enough about every modern fantasy being a trilogy, and that's what this is probably going to be.

I have a core of five characters who i'll follow and probably viewpoint from at least some of the time, with two main viewpoints to intertwine plus a third more minor one, at least for the first book. A whole bunch of minor characters. Lots of history and backstory. I'm actually feeling good about this -- albeit kind of scared of making a hash of it on paper.

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:46 pm Post

tannie wrote:

Dearest tannie
SCiFi/Horror :twisted:
Here`s y`first page.

Venusianesque in appearance, the atmosphere was as close as you were likely to find anywhere on Earth, to Venus` gaseous shroud. One could easily imagine taste buds and mucus membranes combining to offer up violent resistance to this mix of noxious compounds

This swirling obnoxious mist, afforded only varying degrees of poor visibility, to the shuffling, sometimes stumbling, and invariably bald creatures moving through the swirling vapours.

A Muted communication of sorts ensued, if two of these creatures inadvertently invaded each other`s personal space. Sometimes, subtle hint`s of aggression were discernible to the knowing onlooker.

Far heavier, however, than the noxious atmosphere itself, was the pervasive air of gloom and despondency afflicting the stumbling, bumbling bald beings. Twas a scene, the like of which, the main Lounge of the Red Lion hadn`t witnessed for many a long year.

On this day: Manchester United; Stockport County FC, and Manchester City, had all met resounding defeat at the hands of their respective opponents.

This was also the day, that the three legged Pirate dog, feigning drunken stupor, under a table adjacent to the Red`s rear entrance, decided it was time to move on to pastures new (probably The Prince of Wales, or McCain,s Gothic Wine Bar). To this end, he made a dash through the door, left open by a: purple rinsed; overweight; mimi-skirted, 50yr old binge drinker, dashing outside to puke.

The dog never look back. Nor did it bother with, ’Good riddance...!

A drunk, peeing up the Red`s gable end, around the time, swears he heard this voice, saying, “It`s like being on the set of ‘Mad Max 3’.”

Only joking tannie luv :lol:
Good Luck with NANO
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Ca
Carradee

Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:38 pm Post

tannie wrote:If only I could think of a plot...

:P

*muses on a specific shelved WiP*

I have the main characters and the general situation--per usual, for me--but I need to figure out how the plot goes. Maybe that one will start flowing for NaNo.

*considers* That could be awkward.
Wanna hydroplane?
--My brother (while driving)

tannie

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:01 pm Post

vic-k wrote:
tannie wrote:

Dearest tannie
SCiFi/Horror :twisted:
<snip>
The dog never look back. Nor did it bother with, ’Good riddance...!

A drunk, peeing up the Red`s gable end, around the time, swears he heard this voice, saying, “It`s like being on the set of ‘Mad Max 3’.”

Only joking tannie luv :lol:
Good Luck with NANO
Vic

Still, a very good first page ;)

Mine will have a dog of course.

Probably some sort of cairn terrier like. Hairy. Small. Feisty!

Tanja
-- who has Nano sleeping on her leg now. not the novel-kind, the dog-kind.

vic-k

Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:23 pm Post

tannie wrote: Hairy. Small. Feisty!
That sounds like a description of Molly`s Mum :shock:
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

tannie

Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:44 pm Post

vic-k wrote:
tannie wrote: Hairy. Small. Feisty!
That sounds like a description of Molly`s Mum :shock:

No, it's my darling dog! But in a different colour. How could you say no to:

Tanja

Sc
Scylax

Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:09 am Post

Tannie, you may not 'do' forums, but maybe you should check out the forum group for disabled and chronically ill writers. They are really supportive and inspirational, and they'll understand the difficulties you face. Why don't you at least check it out?

vic-k

Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:11 am Post

Scylax wrote:They are really supportive and inspirational, and they'll understand the difficulties you face. Why don't you at least check it out?
Scylax,
My handicap (apart from a poor education/lack of writing technical skills), is M.E. Myalgic Encephalopathy. I have a mild form of the disease. I`m very lucky in that respect. It`s still a ball ache though (metaphorically that is). However, I am constantly amazed by revelations from other members of Scriv`s crew, that they are coping with some disability or other.

I`ve heard it said many times over the years, that writing is theraputic. Whilst it`s not gonna work in my case ( e.g. sometimes it can take over an hour to write three or four sentences. I once described it as the writer`s block from Hell), I can imagine it would work wonderfully for many others.

Jeezzz! I started this post to ask if you could post a link to the forum you mention, didn`t mean to ramble on :oops:
Take care
Vic

tannie

Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:54 pm Post

vic-k wrote:
Scylax wrote:They are really supportive and inspirational, and they'll understand the difficulties you face. Why don't you at least check it out?
Scylax,
My handicap (apart from a poor education/lack of writing technical skills), is M.E. Myalgic Encephalopathy. I have a mild form of the disease. I`m very lucky in that respect. It`s still a ball ache though (metaphorically that is). However, I am constantly amazed by revelations from other members of Scriv`s crew, that they are coping with some disability or other.

Conclusion: Scrivener makes you ill!
RUN PEOPLE! RUN!

;)

vic-k wrote:I`ve heard it said many times over the years, that writing is theraputic. Whilst it`s not gonna work in my case ( e.g. sometimes it can take over an hour to write three or four sentences. I once described it as the writer`s block from Hell), I can imagine it would work wonderfully for many others.

Jeezzz! I started this post to ask if you could post a link to the forum you mention, didn`t mean to ramble on :oops:
Take care
Vic

I have not been writing much since I got 'more-ill-than-before' but I have written more than in the years I was 'semi-ill' (for lack of better term). I used to write so much as child and teenager and then somehow, when I got into my twenties I sort of stopped, because I had work and such. I felt I had to *do* other things...
Ever since I got 'more-ill-than-before', I realised that not doing what I like (even if nobody ever reads it, I do love to write!) doesn't make me feel better. And right now, I firmly believe that I should only (well, mostly) do things that really do make me feel better. And so I write, and I pick my medication carefully, because bad side-effects certainly can make my life as miserable as the disease itself, and I stay home when I need to, and I rest when my body tells me to. And I don't listen to other people's idea / advise about my illnesses ;)
But mostly, I write, I draw, I do things that stir up that passion in me. Because that, along with the meds and such, will make me at least *feel* better.

Scylax, I would also appreciate a link to the forums if you have it. I don't dislike 'forums' in general, I wouldn't be here if I did ;)

Cheers,

Tanja

ps. Vic-k, I don't know how bad your symptoms are, or which you have exactly, but from what I understand M.E. usually means you're (simply put) tired all the time. I can relate to that, and it's one of the most debilitating parts of my various illnesses. Pain, I can work with most of the time (do less, use the hurting bodypart less often etc), but that intense fatigue... Oof. It stops my world... Literally, sometimes I 'lose' a week and don't really notice until afterwards...