7 full days left... who's still in?

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:50 pm Post

nggalai wrote:Thanks, that made my day.
You`re welcome :lol:

They`re not really that bad...but jeezzz!!...if y` can`t slag off y`re in-laws ...who can y`? :shock:
Take care
vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Jaysen

Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:46 pm Post

vic-k wrote:...if y` can`t slag off y`re in-laws ...who can y`? :shock:
Take care
vic

there is always this vic-k guy. Wock might be a good substitute too...

Hi vic-k
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

vic-k

Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:50 pm Post

pfffrrtt!!
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Jaysen

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:31 am Post

I have been gone for 5 days and this is all you have? Come on. Snort is disappointed.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

vic-k

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:07 pm Post

When girded with the strength of ones convictions, as I am, the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, juxtaposed to the sniping and baiting; the scurrilous dissemination of half-truths and innuendo neither tax nor tire me. They run off me like beer running down wock`s gullet.

So, to reiterate my previous sentiments: pffferrttt!!
Do take care
Vic

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:15 pm Post

The top 10 wordiest regions this year were...
  1. Seattle
  2. Maryland
  3. Germany and Austria
  4. Los Angeles
  5. Holland and Belgium
  6. Chicago
  7. Twin Cities (MN)
  8. New York City
  9. Portland, OR
  10. London

Yay! But I can't believe we couldn't take New York City down! Well, next year.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

vic-k

Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:54 pm Post

AmberV wrote:The top 10 wordiest regions this year were...
Stockport
Seattle
Maryland
Germany and Austria
Los Angeles
Holland and Belgium
Chicago
Twin Cities (MN)
New York City
Portland, OR

Modesty forbids I should boast. :|
vic

Jaysen

Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:56 pm Post

forum posts don't count.
Jaysen

vic-k

Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:10 pm Post

Did you say something? :?

Jaysen

Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:34 pm Post

What?
Jaysen

vic-k

Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:36 pm Post

must`ve been the gentle ripples in the ether, from a Papilio cresphontes flapping its wings.
Ahhh...la vie est si douce. :)

Th
Thannisan
Platform: Windows

Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:16 am Post

I'm at 50K but need to keep going. I am so new at this I don't even know how long the average novel is suppose to be. I'm guessing 100K so will keep writing. I like Scrivener, it crashes easily on my Win7 but I haven't lost more than two or three words.

MimeticMouton

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:12 am Post

Average length depends a lot on the genre--and other factors, of course, but editors/publishers usually will have a figure in mind for first-time authors in specific genres. Given that you're just banging out the first draft (or so I assume), I'd focus more on getting to the end of the story than worrying about hitting 80K or 100K or going over into 120K--you're going to end up rewriting a ton of it afterward anyhow if you decide to keep working with it. That's my method, at least: deal with the story and getting words and ideas on paper (or the computer, as it is) and then once I've got something solid to work with, start shaping that more nicely into the real book. I'm sure others have completely different ways of doing it--I know a lot of people have specific word count targets per scene that it helps them to stick to when getting down the draft.

Regarding the crashing, you may want to try backing up your projects and then uninstalling the NaNoWriMo trial if that's what you're using and instead download and install the standard 1.0 trial. There've been a handful of bug fixes since the NaNo trial, including one or two crashers that may be what you're experiencing. The regular trial gives you 30 days of use, rather than a set expiration date, so you'll be able to finish out NaNoWriMo and carry on into December (and beyond, depending how frequently you use the program). You can grab the latest version of 1.0 from here.

And congrats on hitting 50K!
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

homeport
Platform: Mac

Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:57 pm Post

Finished and this has been a bad month, a laptop that decided to die on me, Dell have managed to replace motherboard twice, hard drive once, heat sink, fan and one half of my memory. Still caught up and glad its done.
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:54 pm Post

homeport wrote:Finished and this has been a bad month, a laptop that decided to die on me, Dell have managed to replace motherboard twice, hard drive once, heat sink, fan and one half of my memory. Still caught up and glad its done.

:shock:

Well done on completing regardless.
Complete and utter NOMsense.