Who's in for Nano 2015?

ma
matsgz
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:31 pm Post

I'm in. It's crazy. This is no country for old men. But I have this film script that has grown out of it's format. Instead of over and over taking it out, look at it and say to myself, that, maybe, it is more of a novel - I'll try to make it into a novel. Perhaps that doesn't work out. Then at least I know, and can bury it in good conscience.

di
dibee
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:40 pm Post

BethCutter wrote:Woo hoo! I poked around on my hard drive and found a folder that was miscellaneous stuff I'd brought over from three computers ago, including a whole folder labeled 'story ideas never started.' :D

Yay!

BethCutter wrote:But no prob -- I've got nine days to ponder that.

Count me in!

That is true and is totally the Nano philosophy. :)

di
dibee
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:51 pm Post

field19 wrote:About Scrivener, can anyone share how they use it to outline a novel that's in parts? I have viewed some YouTube tutorials but don't really understand how to set it up and tie it in with my manuscript.

The other question I have is how to import my research documents that are in Word, into the Scrivener universe.

field19

Importing research documents - Just drag them to the Research Section in the bottom left of your project's Binder. Scrivener will convert them to rich text format documents and they can be accessed anytime by clicking on them. And you can copy and paste material between your research documents and your novel if you need to.

And re the outlining of a novel, there are lots of ways to do it. I sometimes use folders for the sections of the manuscript and then group scenes into folders. So if you are following a three act structure you could have folders called Act 1, Act 2, and Act 3 and then group the scenes together in those folders. Or you could just have all your scenes as separate documents in your Draft Folder and then drag them around to position them as needed. Last year for Nano I was trying to write to a novel plotting thing I found so I had labelled all the sections according to that structure: sort of 1, 2, 3 etc.

I don't know if that helps at all. If not, ask more questions. :)

garpu
Platform: Linux

Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:23 am Post

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/docum ... win-a4.pdf

Appendix D is quite useful, too. That way you aren't locked into one set layout for chapters, even.
Slackware 64-bit 14.2, XFCE

StaceyUK
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:32 pm Post

I'm in as StaceyUK!
Blessings, Stacey

System Specs

Windows 7
Scrivener 1.9.7 / 2.8 /3.0.2
Scapple 1.0.0.0
Windows 2.9.0.6 Beta

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:41 pm Post

StaceyUK wrote:I'm in as StaceyUK!

Good Luck, PrincessImage
Vic xx x
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

garpu

Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:57 am Post

vic-k wrote:
StaceyUK wrote:I'm in as StaceyUK!

Good Luck, PrincessImage
Vic xx x

You in this year, Vic? :twisted:

vic-k

Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:01 pm Post

garpu wrote:You in this year, Vic? :twisted:

Nope. :( I would if I could … but I can't … so I shan't :(
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

garpu

Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:42 pm Post

vic-k wrote:
garpu wrote:You in this year, Vic? :twisted:

Nope. :( I would if I could … but I can't … so I shan't :(

Bummer!

vic-k

Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:49 pm Post

garpu wrote:Bummer!
Yeah! truly. Even more annoying, is the fact that I have so much free time on my hands, I could probably spew out 150K a month, let alone 50K. Trouble is, if your ignition key is burnt out, you can't rev up and get going.
If you're taking part, this year, Good luck Image
Vic

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:44 pm Post

OK, I'm in. I never get time to write anything these days, so if I don't do something radical I will forget how to string words together (even rubbish words, such as I suspect I will write when I start an unpremeditated novel from scratch tomorrow). I'm "Sabre" in the NaNoWriMo forum, if anyone wishes to seek me out and remind me that I'm meant to be taking part and not wandering off and forgetting about it.
Literature & Latte support team

garpu

Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:33 pm Post

vic-k wrote:
garpu wrote:Bummer!
Yeah! truly. Even more annoying, is the fact that I have so much free time on my hands, I could probably spew out 150K a month, let alone 50K. Trouble is, if your ignition key is burnt out, you can't rev up and get going.
If you're taking part, this year, Good luck Image
Vic

Yeah, I hear you. The content farm I wrote for horribly burned me out so badly I couldn't write music for awhile. (I use writing to keep things flowing, creatively speaking, since I don't have as much a professional stake in it. I don't have to care as much. :) )

garpu

Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:34 pm Post

Do we have a L&L group going? :)

vic-k

Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:06 pm Post

Siren wrote: I'm "Sabre" in the NaNoWriMo forum,
Hmmm :twisted: That sounds kinky :wink:

:lol: Good Luck, luv Image
Vic

vic-k

Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:21 pm Post

garpu wrote:Yeah, I hear you. The content farm I wrote for horribly burned me out so badly I couldn't write music for awhile. (I use writing to keep things flowing, creatively speaking, since I don't have as much a professional stake in it. I don't have to care as much. )
For me, when a set of very specific circumstances prevail, it's literally as though their is a short-circuit somewhere twixt my brain and my fingertips. It's weird.
Take care,
Good luck
Vic