L&L Cabin thread...or something like it

garpu
Platform: Linux

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:20 pm Post

So we tried to start an L&L-derived cabin on the official Camp NaNo page, but keep getting thwarted by the sorting algorithm. I propose we say "screw it" on getting one through their site and use this, instead.

Less BS! More booze! (Or whatever drink you may choose.)
Slackware 64-bit 14.2, XFCE

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:01 pm Post

I have just been looking at the Camp NaNoWriMo site, thinking that I need a bit of a kick into getting some words down on paper (well, pixels), but I am irritated beyond belief by various aspects of the website. Not having done Camp NaNoWriMo before, I have no idea what to expect from this whole "cabin" thing, and the website is strangely uninformative. It won't let me specify my age as "too old to count", saying that I have to give a number between 13 and 130. And it says "You haven't created a novel", which is very annoying, because I was perfectly aware of that depressing fact. ;)

So, assuming that a cabin is just a group of nice people, chivvying each other along and sharing their trials and tribulations (possibly consuming a lot of espresso and other beverages), and assuming that you don't mind having a very grumpy person typing away next to you, can I join you in here, please, garpu? :)
Literature & Latte support team

homeport
Platform: Mac

Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:08 am Post

could we not do something here after all look how popular the novel in a day is where we all take part, maybe a month of us chivvying each other along here would get words on scrivener :D :D
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

garpu

Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:59 pm Post

The more the merrier! :)

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:58 pm Post

Siren wrote:
So, assuming that a cabin is just a group of nice people, chivvying each other along and sharing their trials and tribulations...
Aboard Srivener!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Aagghhrrrrrrrr...ahhahahahah!!
Good Luck anyway!! :wink:
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

RSMcGowan
Platform: Windows

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:39 pm Post

I don't understand why cabin creation is so wonky. But oh well. Huzzah forum thread!
Testing Specs: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, HP Pavilion G7 Notebook PC, Intel i3 processor
Don't blink. | 2010 & 2011 NaNoWriMo Winner!

robertdguthrie

Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:36 pm Post

If I can motivate myself to write this damned story, then I'll be in. Or maybe being in will motivate me to write the damned story. :?
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:31 pm Post

robertdguthrie wrote:If I can motivate myself to write this damned story, then I'll be in. Or maybe being in will motivate me to write the damned story. :?

That's my reasoning. Mind you, I can't remember what my story was going to be. It seemed like a good idea, the day before yesterday, but now I look at the sketchy notes that I made, and it doesn't seem as though there is an idea there at all.
Literature & Latte support team

RSMcGowan
Platform: Windows

Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:37 pm Post

robertdguthrie wrote:If I can motivate myself to write this damned story, then I'll be in. Or maybe being in will motivate me to write the damned story. :?

I'm operating under the latter. Peer pressure, yay!
Testing Specs: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, HP Pavilion G7 Notebook PC, Intel i3 processor
Don't blink. | 2010 & 2011 NaNoWriMo Winner!

PJ
PJS

Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:04 pm Post

I have this one story, see, and I've hacked away at it for months now, and every so often I print it out, sit down with a glass of... well, never mind, I sit down and read through the latest draft and say to myself, in all candor, that if I could only justify the backstory and keep track of weather and describe the two main characters and clarify their motives and fill a gaping hole or two in the narrative arc, it would really be pretty good.

I mean, the dialogue is OK.

So, ignoring the obligations of grumpy old men (mea culpa, Vic) I admit the idea sounds good.

phil
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.

garpu

Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:25 pm Post

That's OK...I have a pile of books for research. I have a setting. I have a rough idea of a plot. But that's about it. I'm thinking of basing the main character off my nieces, because I think their healthy skepticism of all things over the age of 30 would serve the main character well.

Jaysen

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:25 pm Post

I had an idea once. Then I sat staring at the screen. A flurry of activity and I had micro controller code to replace the instrument cluster of ODBII based ECUs in vehicles. The idea is in there some where, but I think I'll need to find my head first. That will be the most difficult part for me.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

Ch
Cher

Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:45 am Post

I'm using Camp NaNoWriMo to kick my butt and get back into writing my Nano story from last year. I've recently bought Scapple, and I'm hoping that with Scrivener is going to help me continue a story I'm actually enjoying. I just wish I had dedicated more time to learning how to utilise all features of Scrivener...

Cher

garpu

Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:55 pm Post

Welcome! There are a lot of clever people here. (And Scapple looks cool. Not ported to Windows/Linux yet.)

robertdguthrie

Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:58 am Post

I've finally gotten under way. My goal is modest for the month: 15,000 words. It's a short story set on a space station. Can't imagine where I got that idea from. :P
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?