Multi-tasking

Foxtrot
Platform: Mac

Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:51 pm Post

I thought I would give multi-tasking a go this year - NaNoWriMo and Movember. I suspect one may be easier than the other!

https://www.movember.com/uk/

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:34 pm Post

Given that, we should post a picture of the master:

...given he also has a quote in the application interface. :)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

KB
Site Admin

Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:53 pm Post

Damn you people who can grow full beards! I bloody well thought I'd be able to grow a big bushy beard before my hair started thinning at least, but no, here I am at 38 and still nothing more than a Weetabix chin. Dammit.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:58 pm Post

Wassamatta wi' y'? Snorra moustache... Just some weirdo trying to swallow a guinea pig!! tch!tch!tch! wot y' like?
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Foxtrot

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:06 pm Post

Well, as of Wednesday 9th November the moustache growing is going really well. NaNoWriMo on the other hand...

Jeannie the Red Jay
Platform: Windows

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:33 pm Post

Help! I'm desperate. Could any of you who are multi-tasking or whatever answer a few really basic questions, like once I've written notes in the inspector, how do I get them to show up on the corkboard?

Like when I press SAVE instead of SAVE AS , where do I look for the files from SAVE and the files from SAVE AS?

jeannecurran@habermas.org

Jeannie the Red Jay NaNoWriMo
Jeannie the Red Jay

AmberV

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:49 pm Post

For you I would suggest a paste-on moustache for this multi-tasking experiment. :? Not only are you starting late, but if your user name is any indication, there is a significant genetic disadvantage.

That all aside: You can open the inspector when you are using a corkboard, too. Just click the 'i' button up there as you normally would, and click on the index card to view its notes.

"Save" is largely pointless unless you've essentially disabled auto-save. By default Scrivener saves your work whenever you pause for two seconds. So nearly every time you click "Save", it actually doesn't even fire off any code because there is nothing new to save.

"Save As" is a feature you'll only rarely need in most cases. That is for when you're working on a something and decided to do some radical experimentation for a bit. You might want to totally rearrange the narrative, or change a protagonists name and see how that feels for a bit. So you'd use Save As to create a whole new project file and start working in it immediately.

I highly recommend you read the project management chapter in the user manual. It's essential to know how a program saves your files and what it is doing with them.
Ioa Petra'ka

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:30 am Post

AmberV wrote:if your user name is any indication, there is a significant genetic disadvantage.

There's an irony there somewhere.
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

AmberV

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:00 am Post

Where could it possibly be!
Ioa Petra'ka