How to disable the divider lines in Scrivenings mode ?

Ar
Arianicide

Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:49 pm Post

Hi everybody there,
Lots of good stuff so far in Scrivener 2.0, but still…
How is it possible to disable the gradated horizontal divider lines that you get when in Scrivenings mode ? These lines are beautiful indeed, and useful to some extend, but when you work with very small chunks of texts like I do, all those lines everywhere give you quickly an headach…
I've looked in the manual and the forum and haven't found the aswer so far. Something to add in 2.01 Preferences ?

1000 thanks !

SD

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:59 pm Post

Just out of curiosity, do you feel this might be solved with acclimation? I work in small chunks too, some the size of paragraphs, and honestly I never "see" divider lines any more. I've been working with them for ages now, though. If anything, I find them to be a touch subtle in a larger context (rapidly scrolling through large sections of text).
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Pa
Paul_T
Platform: Mac

Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:09 pm Post

I raised the same issue at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8684 and Keith is already on the case. He is apparently creating an option to remove the lines in 2.0.1 Thanks Keith! And thanks AmberV for your usual diligence! I take your point about acclimatisation but there are other issues that us "granular" writers have with the divider lines, e.g. they prevent one from copying the text from multiple scrivenings into another app without carrying across unwanted line spaces. The change that Keith is planning will, I understand, rectify all this.

AmberV

Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:21 pm Post

Yes, with that latter point I definitely do empathise and I've come across it myself in a few cases. The other issue with a large spacer-based divider is that it reduces the usefulness of the pagination estimator in Page View, especially in long documents.
Ioa Petra'ka

KB
Site Admin

Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:06 pm Post

Indeed, for 2.0.1 I have added the option (off by default) of using single line separators; when you do so, instead of the lines you will get this:

"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Pa
Paul_T

Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:52 pm Post

Thanks Keith, really appreciate this. I wonder what would happen if I made a similar suggestion to the Microsoft Word team... Fortunately, thanks to Scrivener, I've barely had to use Word in three years.

Wi
William

Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:33 pm Post

That looks to me like a very elegant alternative - it'll be very useful for those occasions when you have a lot of small chunks which you want to view as a piece of continuous text.

cheers
w
The worst are filled with passionate intensity while the best lack all conviction

Ar
Arianicide

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:36 am Post

Waow !
Happy to see all those answers in such a short amount of time ! Great forum for a great app.
Well, your solution Keith would be perfect as far as I'm concerned.
Happy me.

Big thanks to all of yours

SD

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:16 am Post

Well, I like the new dividers much better than the alternating gray-white backgrounds we got in 1.x. The lines in 2.0 quickly show where I need to add or delete spaces to make the the draft text flow together. If others want something different, fine, but just want to register that the lines are, in fact, a very smart improvement.

AmberV

Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:24 am Post

Thanks, druid. I feel the same way myself in terms of aesthetics. The alternating colours often made me feel awkward in an "off" section, and the dividers feel snappy and look great with titles enabled, especially a font that uses small caps. I do get the complaints with screenwriting and other applications where it adds too much vertical space, disrupting the pagination and copy/paste workflow, though.
Ioa Petra'ka

Wi
William

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:15 pm Post

Yes I agree with that - I think between the two of them - the existing new dividers and the additional "minimalist" dividers which are coming for 2.01 - you've really got it covered.

cheers
w
The worst are filled with passionate intensity while the best lack all conviction

Pl
Plette

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:02 pm Post

Thank you, this is brilliant. I like the new divider lines, but I have one or two projects where the new subtler dividers will be more appropriate.

I wouldn't have thought to ask for this feature but I will definitely use it.

ptram

Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:43 pm Post

I like the new divider line, even if I think I'll sometimes turn it off for the alternative solution Keith just introduced.

The older alternating color was not a problem for me, since I turned the grey background to a very light color, that was different enough to create a separation, but not enough to be a rough cut.

Paolo

shrumpkin

Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:43 pm Post

Is anyone else having a problem with text of a particular document running over the split divider in scrivenings mode?

Like this?:
scrivenings break example.pdf
text running over text file divider in scrivenings mode
(27.3 KiB) Downloaded 107 times

Thank you,

Michael

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:51 pm Post

shrumpkin wrote:Is anyone else having a problem with text of a particular document running over the split divider in scrivenings mode?

Yes. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9834

Should be fixed for tomorrow's (?) release.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)