Apple iPad & Scrivener

Jot
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:21 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Image

Please help, every time I start up Scrivener, it's in Typewriter Mode!

I'm pretty sure you just made my whole week.
J

fg
fgrieser
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:22 pm Post

AndreasE wrote:PSION 5mx, anybody?

Mine died. Just after I had sold my Psion Netbook (the original) to get a used iBook.

Franz

AndreasE

Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:04 pm Post

fgrieser wrote:
AndreasE wrote:PSION 5mx, anybody?

Mine died. Just after I had sold my Psion Netbook (the original) to get a used iBook.

Franz

You? Sold??? Your? Psion Netbook??? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Then you didn't deserve it better, Sir.

:wink:

Lord Lightning

Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:27 am Post

Georgous, Amber.

This hints at an isight camera in the iPad. Maybe moves are afoot for an early upgrade. I wonder if this and the iTouch camera problems are related to Flash. What goes on under the 'cone of silence' at Apple?

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/02/02/repair-s ... mera-slot/

8)
Lord Lightning

I'm a writer. I create worlds!
When I make a declarative statement it applies to ME. Not to everyone.

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:56 pm Post

Well, my wish came true. The just-announced iPhone OS 4 will enable bluetooth keyboard use with iPhone and iPod Touch.

Now, if I just had a cool case for transporting my Apple bluetooth keyboard, I would be set.

--gr

gr wrote:For me the best news for writing that the iPad brings is the possibility that bluetooth keyboarding may be coming to the iPod/iPhone. The iPad has it, so they certainly now have it enabled in the underlying OS.

An iPod touch coupled with Apple's super-minimal bluetooth keyboard would pretty much perfectly realize a longstanding dream -- an elegant keyboard-only just-write system. The perfect set up for writing down at your favorite cafe.

Fingers crossed.

--Greg

si
signinstranger
Platform: Mac

Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:18 pm Post

gr wrote:Well, my wish came true. The just-announced iPhone OS 4 will enable bluetooth keyboard use with iPhone and iPod Touch.

Now, if I just had a cool case for transporting my Apple bluetooth keyboard, I would be set.

http://www.sfbags.com/products/keyboard ... yboard.htm

You will also need a stand for the iPhone:

http://www.myibend.com/

http://www.movie-peg.com/

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:15 pm Post

Nice. Done and done.

Ma
Mark Dungey

Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:28 pm Post

I wouldn't worry too much about it Keith. Really, no writer is going to want to write long pieces on a touch screen. In fact, due to my desire to "edit and revise on the fly" I write early drafts on a good ol' typewriter. I mean even the tech critic for the WSJ pointedly said (though he glowed about the thing), "If you need to create or edit giant spreadsheets or long documents, or you have elaborate systems for organizing email, or need to perform video chats, the iPad isn’t going to cut it as your go-to device."
http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20100331/apple-ipad-review/
I'm still a hardcopy guy myself. I wrote a blog about the importance of the hardcopy a few weeks back because all these digital readers were beginning to irk me. And I failed to mention the limited selection of books, or even authors. Like iTunes, one can't always find an artist they're interested in. The only game changer for me is an ultra portable device that does what's important to me. And usually what's important to me isn't all that portable. :wink:
Mark R. Dungey

Sean Coffee

Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:06 pm Post

Mark Dungey wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about it Keith. Really, no writer is going to want to write long pieces on a touch screen.

While I agree that I wouldn't want the iPad to be my go-to device for a long document, isn't the point of Scrivener that it makes it so much easier to write in small chunks? Like writing in a notebook, then adding those pages to a binder you keep at home?

Which brings me to my ultimate thoughts about an iPad version of Scrivener: it's not really necessary, is it? I mean, you're not formatting in Scrivener, so really we're just talking about hunks of text here, and it's very easy to get text into Scrivener. If you're writing a screenplay, Final Draft claims that they're working on an iPad version, and Scrivener imports .fdx wonderfully.

If you really think about it, a full-blown Scrivener on the iPad is a very un-iPad way to do things. Witness Apple's own Pages for iPad, which is very (but not fully) functional -- they clearly don't mean for you to be laying out multi-page newsletters on the thing.

KB
Site Admin

Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:14 pm Post

That's pretty much how I see it too (and perhaps I have failed to get that across in other threads). Trying to bring a full-blown version of Scrivener to the iPad would not only be impossible, it would defy the point of the iPad in a way. But to create a light version of Scrivener without many of its features would sort of defy the point of Scrivener. I see the iPad as a notebook but Scrivener as your whole desk, if that makes sense.

All the best,
Keith

Sean Coffee

Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:39 pm Post

KB wrote:I see the iPad as a notebook but Scrivener as your whole desk, if that makes sense.

Makes sense, but I'd give both of you a little more credit. Scrivener feels like an entire office to me -- writing desk, notebooks, file cabinet, etc. (If you could figure out a way to add a drawer with a bottle of Jameson and a glass...)

The iPad is akin to a briefcase. In fact, that's a bit of an issue with me. For my (ahem) birthday last year, I received an awesome, monstrous leather briefcase. The thing's a behemoth, and I've done some serious shoulder damage lugging around books, notebooks, Macbook, magazines, power adaptors and the like. The other day, armed with an iPad that has all of that on it (and doesn't need a big power adapter), I was hard pressed to figure out why I need such a big bag.

Which brings me back to that bottle of Jameson and a glass...

AndreasE

Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:45 am Post

IMHO, the reasonable approach regarding iPad versus Scrivener would maybe look more or less like this:

:idea: The thing is now out for, hmm, a week. It would be reasonable to wait until more experience has assembled about what's possible or not, what's really missing and what not really.

:idea: People who want to write on the iPad will do so using apps that are already available (140.000 and growing), they will not wait for a Scriv-on-iPad-app. After some time, word of mouth will narrow down the best apps for this purpose.

:idea: Regarding this "hit list" (and the demand that survived the start-up hype), one will be able to think about if and how a mechanism could be installed to enable a syncing between some of these apps and the desktop Scrivener. (Meanwhile it's clear that you can't go with the iPad alone, you'll still need a real computer anyway. The iPad isn't "the computer for my Mum", as it looked like on first sight.) The FinalDraft-for-iPad to Scrivener-route was already mentioned; this, for example, would work out of the box the moment FinalDraft-for-iPad is available.

There will be attempts to jailbreak the iPad, too. It remains to see to what this might lead. In the moment, the one thing that could have raised my interest in an iPad seems to be impossible due to Apple's restrictions: To convert my work-in-progress to epub-Format, transfer it onto the device and proof-read it as a virtual book. (This would make use of a phenomenon every writer knows too well: The first copy of your newly published book arrives... you open it up on an arbitrary page... and there it is, the typo that escaped all proof-reading of the manuscript! :) )

KB
Site Admin

Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:43 am Post

In the moment, the one thing that could have raised my interest in an iPad seems to be impossible due to Apple's restrictions

Actually, this should work fine. I recently sent a US user an alpha of Scrivener 2.0 to check out exactly this, and he was able to export an .epub from Scrivener 2.0 and import it into iBooks - he even sent me a screenshot of his novel from Scrivener in iBooks on the iPad.

All the best,
Keith

ma
macsparky

Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:57 am Post

My iPad/Scrivener workflow is as follows:

I've got an outline of my book saved as a Notational Velocity Note that syncs to Simple Note (still not iPad native but any day now.)

If I feel the muse, I can type text in for small chunks of the book in SimpleNote on the iPad. Later I simply block and copy into Scrivener file on the Mac.

I am also toying with doing some proofreading on the iPad. Maybe I'll do it the old fashioned way with annotated pdfs or just create a separate Notational Velocity file for proofreading. We'll see.

David
macsparky.com

mx
mxleop

Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:46 am Post

KB wrote:
In the moment, the one thing that could have raised my interest in an iPad seems to be impossible due to Apple's restrictions

Actually, this should work fine. I recently sent a US user an alpha of Scrivener 2.0 to check out exactly this, and he was able to export an .epub from Scrivener 2.0 and import it into iBooks - he even sent me a screenshot of his novel from Scrivener in iBooks on the iPad.

All the best,
Keith

Wicked Cool!