Compile not complying: how to remove indents in cascading numbered paragraphs?

Kalense
Platform: Mac

Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:34 pm Post

I have a set of chapters with sections and subsections that represent numbered paragraphs. I want the first and subsequent lines of all paragraphs, no matter how far down the subsection hierarchy, to line up flush with the left margin.

I can get the numbering to work correctly so that each step down the hierarchy adds another digit. But I can't find out how to remove the automatic indents that Scrivener apparently pulls out of nowhere.

What I want (Print or PDF)

1. The clock behind the lunatic bongs, and before him a curmudgeonly bonbon pirouettes; meanwhile the lowly cleric cowers secretly beneath his desk.
2. Unlike so many pork chops who have made their way through thick and thin, the looking glass shows scenes abhorrent to us.
Vikings never wore helmets with horns; to do so would have been idiotic.
Most cats pay attention to mice. Alternative universes exist in which their cousins lie in rainbow socks dreaming of better worlds and more amicable companions.
2.1. Some ungodly waif carelessly caricatures a minor species of rapacious dinosaur.
2.2. Most people believe that the sprightly sow has brainwashed her teacher, because the latter's actions are otherwise inexplicable.
2.2.1. Defined by his hunched back, Quasimodo should consider his image.
2.2.2. They need to remember how accurately a clodhopper takes a coffee break.
2.3. When a dilettante behind a wall awakes, a ghastly waif flies into a rage.
2.3.1. Never noticing the cigar hovering beyond young Sigmund a philosopher wakes, starts and raises his eyebrow quizzically.
2.3.2. A comely labyrinth laughs out loud.
2.3.3. Two gangly impresarios lurk beyond a ruffian who is merely wily.
2.4. If the gawky ballerina daydreams, a joker with the ribbon self-ignites.
3. Somewhere a rapacious ruffian hesitates, and some bubble bath subsides.
3.1 The wily magistrate tells taller tales over coffee than under the influence of wine.
3.2 When another espadrille about a bicep procrastinates, the lunatic around a cream puff trembles.

What I'm getting (please pretend the --- are replaced by blank spaces)

1. The clock behind the lunatic bongs, and before him a curmudgeonly bonbon pirouettes;
----meanwhile the lowly cleric cowers secretly beneath his desk.
---2. Unlike so many pork chops who have made their way through thick and thin, the
------looking glass shows scenes abhorrent to us.
------Vikings never wore helmets with horns; to do so would have been idiotic.
------Most cats pay attention to mice. Alternative universes exist in which their cousins lie
------in rainbow socks dreaming of better worlds and more amicable companions.
------2.1. Some ungodly waif carelessly caricatures a minor species of rapacious dinosaur.
------2.2. Most people believe that the sprightly sow has brainwashed her teacher, because
------------the latter's actions are otherwise inexplicable.
------------2.2.1. Defined by his hunched back, Quasimodo should consider his image.
------------2.2.2. They need to remember how accurately a clodhopper takes a coffee break.
------2.3. When a dilettante behind a wall awakes, a ghastly waif flies into a rage.
------------2.3.1. Never noticing the cigar hovering beyond young Sigmund a philosopher
--------------------wakes, starts and raises his eyebrow quizzically.
------------2.3.2. A comely labyrinth laughs out loud.
------------2.3.3. Two gangly impresarios lurk beyond a ruffian who is merely wily.
------2.4. If the gawky ballerina daydreams, a joker with the ribbon self-ignites.
---3. Somewhere a rapacious ruffian hesitates, and some bubble bath subsides.
------3.1 The wily magistrate tells taller tales over coffee than under the influence of wine.
------3.2 When another espadrille about a bicep procrastinates, the lunatic around a cream
-----------puff trembles.

What secret switch is hidden, where, for me to get Scrivener to line everything up on the left margin? I think I've tried everything obvious.

kewms

Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:57 pm Post

This is something to adjust via the Section Layout specification. See Section 24.2.3 in the Scrivener manual.

Are things formatted the way you want in the Editor? If so, it's probably just a matter of telling the layout to *not* override the Editor formatting.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Kalense

Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:22 am Post

kewms wrote:This is something to adjust via the Section Layout specification. See Section 24.2.3 in the Scrivener manual.

Are things formatted the way you want in the Editor? If so, it's probably just a matter of telling the layout to *not* override the Editor formatting.

Katherine

I don't know what you mean by "something to adjust". What is there to adjust? I have messed about with this part of Compile until I'm ready to throw the computer into the lake, and it makes no difference at all. I've removed ALL the tab stops, moved every possible slider and pressed every button. I cannot achieve the simple effect of removing indents.

"Are things formatted the way you want in the Editor?"

No. How can they be? Or yes, or course. It depends on how you look at it.

I'm trying to get a sequentially numbered set of rules, with sub-sections and sub-sub-sections, all numbered correctly in a cascade. Compile does that for me, which is great. I don't have to manually assign paragraph numbers in the Editor - and if I did, I'd far rather use Word which for all its faults, will produce what I want: numbers left aligned.

I'm trying to get those sequentially numbered rules left aligned on the margin. How difficult is that? In the Editor, of course that's how they look. So yes, they are formatted the way I want in the Editor - except that they are not numbered there. So no, they are not formatted the way I want in the Editor.

Kalense

Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:17 am Post

I've found out how to stop the indents.

It's a check box in the TRANSFORMATIONS window of Compile.

Screenshot 2021-04-19 at 10.12.46.jpg
Screenshot 2021-04-19 at 10.12.46.jpg (301.14 KiB) Viewed 76 times