Dropbox now saying illegal character in filename

User avatar
Oogiem
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:24 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Western Colorado
Contact:

Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:37 pm Post

I've been workign with Scrivener just fine for a long time and I have several scrivener projects that are located in my Dropbox folder for ease of sync between 2 computers and my iPad. Ihave always been very careful to never have any Scrivener project open on more than one device at a time and always shut it down and wait for the sync to happen before opening it on another device.

I just went back to take a look at an older project that I havne;t had to update in over a year and for some reason on that project I am getting an error from Drop box about illegal file characters in the filename.
Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 7.21.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 7.21.17 AM.png (66.47 KiB) Viewed 133 times


I made sure Scrivener was not running on any machine or device. Then I did a show package contents and yes, there are files in the package that have illegal characters.
Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 7.21.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 7.21.17 AM.png (66.47 KiB) Viewed 133 times


I'm confused both as to how this happened and what to do next.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 7.34.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 7.34.59 AM.png (26.08 KiB) Viewed 133 times

User avatar
kewms
Posts: 7591
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:22 pm
Platform: Mac

Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:02 pm Post

What I would do:

With Scrivener closed, make a backup, just in case.

Browse to the project contents as you have done, and simply delete the problem files. They look like some sort of artifact, not essential parts of the project.

Open the project in Scrivener and confirm that all is well.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

User avatar
Oogiem
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:24 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Western Colorado
Contact:

Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:06 pm Post

Thank you. That appears to have worked. i did have to go down the tree and root out all of the files not just the top 3 but the project appears to be fine and the errors are no more.